Post Your Watches

Nabster, thanks for taking the time to write this. :thumbsup:
I think now I understand it a little better, I just need to learn more. :mrgreen:

EDIT:
I now realize my watch must be similar to my car: nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but nothing special either. Serves its purpose and is neither dirt cheap nor expensive. :lol:

Last edited:
To continue this car analogy, Nabster, would you place the Seiko/Citizen/Orient trio at the Toyota/Honda/Nissan or Lexus/Acura/Infiniti level?

To continue this car analogy, Nabster, would you place the Seiko/Citizen/Orient trio at the Toyota/Honda/Nissan or Lexus/Acura/Infiniti level?

I'd put Seiko and Citizen in the Toyota Honda segment, Orient in the Kia. Surprisingly there are some very nice Citizens, they have a thermo compensated quartz Chronomaster that's like +/- 5 seconds a year, so that would be like a Lexus LS.

Seiko is something else. Their basic stuff is just that, basic. It's still quite good though. Mechanical Seikos are build very solidly, very "to the point" without a bunch of extra unnecessary work, and are very reliable all the while remaining affordable to most everyone. But, they're also one of the more innovative companies out there. In the last 10-20 years they've designed the kinetic movement and their new spring drive movement. New innovation in horology isn't very common. You can pick your amount of money from $50 up to $500000 and Seiko has a watch for you. Their Grand Seiko line is very nice, I hold it with about the same regards as Rolex.

Seiko is something else. Their basic stuff is just that, basic. It's still quite good though. Mechanical Seikos are build very solidly, very "to the point" without a bunch of extra unnecessary work, and are very reliable all the while remaining affordable to most everyone. But, they're also one of the more innovative companies out there. In the last 10-20 years they've designed the kinetic movement and their new spring drive movement. New innovation in horology isn't very common. You can pick your amount of money from $50 up to $500000 and Seiko has a watch for you. Their Grand Seiko line is very nice, I hold it with about the same regards as Rolex.

Good to know!
I like Seiko. :D

I've had my Seiko Sports 5 for a good 3 years now and I've dropped it a zillion times and beaten on it mercilessly. It keeps good time and has held up well.

The only issue I had is when I dropped it from about 3.5 feet onto a linoleum floor and the piece of trim surrounding the date fell off. $15 to put right. Including purchase price, I've spent about $75 on this watch.

I almost want it to die so I can have an excuse to get a new one :lol:

I've had my Corolla for a good 3 years now and I've crashed it a zillion times and beaten on it mercilessly. It drives good and has held up well.

The only issue I had is when I dropped it from about 3.5 feet onto a linoleum floor and a piece of trim fell off. $15 to put right. Including purchase price, I've spent about $75 on this car.

I almost want it to die so I can have an excuse to get a new one :lol:

Oy, take your car talk out of the watch thread!

I think there is nothing as vulgar as a Breitling, they are mainly overpriced completely gauche cluttered designs with cheap ETA and Valjoux movements that are completely cookie cutter. I doubt there is a Breitling out that I would spend more than 500 dollars on, let alone the thousands they dare ask.

So sadly my watch was stolen along with some other stuff at the gym the other day and my 8 year run with my Oakley Detonator has come to an end. Though if I am honest I had really outgrown the watch a while ago it was just so darn reliable and still looked ok. So back in the watch market and ironically have less money that I did when I bought the Oakley in 9th grade. So not knowing shit about watches where should I look as far as brands go I am looking for some suggestions.

So I have about $250 total to spend and want a real watch not something digital. I have always liked the chronograph feature on the old detonator but I guess it isn't required. The biggest issue is I have tiny ass wrists and hands. So even moderately sized watches seem massive when I try them on. Sorry if that is overly vague but I really have no idea where to start and what is good/shit.

Though looking through the past 30 pages of the thread I wish I had the cash for a some of the really high end yet understated ones, ie. some of the patek philippe's, but sadly I don't. Though on a different note the Casio Edifice Redliner posted a few pages ago looks cool, but seems like it may be a bit big.

Last edited:
So sadly my watch was stolen along with some other stuff at the gym the other day and my 8 year run with my Oakley Detonator has come to an end. Though if I am honest I had really outgrown the watch a while ago it was just so darn reliable and still looked ok. So back in the watch market and ironically have less money that I did when I bought the Oakley in 9th grade. So not knowing shit about watches where should I look as far as brands go I am looking for some suggestions.

So I have about $250 total to spend and want a real watch not something digital. I have always liked the chronograph feature on the old detonator but I guess it isn't required. The biggest issue is I have tiny ass wrists and hands. So even moderately sized watches seem massive when I try them on. Sorry if that is overly vague but I really have no idea where to start and what is good/shit.

Though looking through the past 30 pages of the thread I wish I had the cash for a some of the really high end yet understated ones, ie. some of the patek philippe's, but sadly I don't. Though on a different note the Casio Edifice Redliner posted a few pages ago looks cool, but seems like it may be a bit big.

The Oakley looks a little smaller than the Casio I bought. Isn?t there a store where you could try one?

How about this

513rDQa3JrL._SS400_.jpg

Citizen Men's AT0200-05E $135 at amazon

Eco-drive
41 mm diameter.

Long before you need to replace a battery.

I've figured out my graduation present, now I only have 3.5 pesky years to get through. In house movement, German, applied numerals, power reserve indicator, manual wind, sub seconds, 4.5k for SS, 8K for Rose Gold. The Dornbl?th Ref. 99.2. As close as I'll get to an A. Lange 1815 for many years.

IMGP5086.jpg

dornblueth-11s.jpg

I've figured out my graduation present, now I only have 3.5 pesky years to get through. In house movement, German, applied numerals, power reserve indicator, manual wind, sub seconds, 4.5k for SS, 8K for Rose Gold. The Dornbl?th Ref. 99.2. As close as I'll get to an A. Lange 1815 for many years.
dornblueth-11s.jpg

Something about movements with that pinkish gilt is just so..... deliciously good.

My Mir came in. Here's a terrible, upside-down pic:

yv44o.jpg

Nice!
:thumbsup:

I was debating for a long while to buy a Suunto for my trail running endeavors. I really wanted an Core, but I went in to my local store today to check out some watches and wasn't really too impressed with the features for athletic training (similar to the M5). So I sprung for a Garmin Forerunner 210:
Garmin-Forerunner-210-Fitness-GPS-Watch-for-Runners-B.jpg

GPS Tracking.
Heart-rate monitor.

Me gusta.

I'm selling this one for $100 if it's more your style...

fgw0100aw-stock.jpg

Normal retail is $185-200. Let me know if you're interested...:D

I like the watch. I also like to eat. Decisions, decisions...