Post Your Watches

Finally had some time to look at watches and I think I am going to go with the Citizen Nighthawk. Yay or nay? Also need to consider whether I should get the silver or black one =P

Had a look at some of the Casio G-shock and edifice aviation watches too. Are they worth considering?

edit - Any particular methods for spotting a fake? I am buying from an actual store but still....

Last edited:
Unless you're in China shopping at "Super Legitimate Watches Excellent Value Warehouse" I don't think you're going to find fakes of any of those ones. They aren't worth faking when there are more profitable watches for the fakers to spend time on.

Unless you're in China shopping at "Super Legitimate Watches Excellent Value Warehouse" I don't think you're going to find fakes of any of those ones. They aren't worth faking when there are more profitable watches for the fakers to spend time on.

Hey, "Super Legitimate Watches Excellent Value Warehouse" is a very good shop in Beijing!

I thought so to until I came across a thread on the watchuseek forum (been reading it heaps) showing a fake citizen Nighthawk. But anyway, found a authorized reseller and bought a black nighthawk. Specifically, the Asian edition with the nicer back. Loving it so far but already thinking about a Nato strap - any suggestions? I also get the feeling watches are about to become my next expensive hobby........

Slightly off topic - whilst googling I came across askmen.com, and according to one of the writers Nato straps are worn by hipsters and look gay lol.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1341757739621.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341757739621.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
NATO straps very seldom look good to me. The majority of the time they just get dirty (filthy smelly sweat and grime dirty) and never get washed because the people who wear them are often the same people who wear raw denim and take pride in the fact they haven't washed them in 3 years. And yes, they became popular with hipsters because firsty they were cheap and second they could get them in all kinds of colors to match their purposefully tacky and vintage thrift store found clothing. You want to wear a NATO strap, do it right, wear it on a genuine military issue watch and make sure the strap is grey with white metal fittings and 20mm (this combination is the only true NATO strap, as it is the only watch strap specified by NATO, it has stock numbers for both US Army/Navy and the RAF). My opinion is to avoid NATO straps, I do think they look cheap and don't belong on a watch unless you're in the sort of environment that they would be appropriate for. Stick with metal bracelets or leather.

Second, do note the askmen bit you're referencing is from the watch snob. Take everything he says with a grain of salt.

So, wait, what you're saying is, you don't like fake NATO straps? :p

Where's a good place to buy cheap, quality leather straps?

So, wait, what you're saying is, you don't like fake NATO straps? :p

Where's a good place to buy cheap, quality leather straps?

You want quality leather you're going to be paying at minimum $20, and more in the $30-55-95 range for higher quality standard leathers into exotics like lizard and crocodile then alligator. Do note, leather straps generally aren't water proof, so don't take them swimming. Stick to Hirsch, Hadley Roma, WBHQ, Rhein Fils, and actual name brands and you'll generally be fine. I'd say avoid embossed leather prints because those just look tacky, go for the real leather style you want.

Try poking around at Ofrei, they have a quite good selection.

What about rubber straps?

Need some advice gents. Have been asked to look into 3 pocket watches that are to be given as thank you gifts to Groomsmen at a mates funeral wedding. The budget is about 200 AUD each, but I have no real idea on brands that are decent to look at. It's nothing like a wrist watch.

Cheers in advance.

CdXngw5npFIflkonAzQzekcXRf5T0tt7.jpg

My first watch that I got. Was never a watch wearer until i realised that wearing one is a good image booster. :lol:

And slide rules up the cool factor by a fair bit. Too bad it can't be locked.

^nice looking watch!!

why does it have 4 buttons?

^nice looking watch!!

why does it have 4 buttons?

2 o'clock: start button for analogue stop watch
3 o'clock: locking crown, 1st to adjust date, 2nd to adjust time.
4 o'clock: stop button for analogue stop watch
8 o'clock: knob to turn the outer ring for calculation. Main attraction for me.

Best thing? It doesn't cost a bomb.

Price from Sky Watches.

Anybody know anything about Elgin or Bruhy pocket watches? My grandfather left my brother and I each one of these watches, but there really isn't mch out there about the Bruhy, and I can't quite nail down the model of the Elgin.

Last edited:
Clear pictures speak better than descriptions. That said, the Bruhy is likely a third tier brand lost to time. The Elgin likely doesn't have a model like you're thinking. Depending on the age it's likely either a situation where the original buyer went to a jewelry store with a certain amount to spend and chose the movement and a case and the watch was put together at the store, or a bit later the watch was chosen based on grade (or quality and jeweling) of the movement. To ID the watch you'll basically identify its case style and movement, i.e. a size 16 Hunter case.

500, 501, or 505?