Post Your Watches

Wow, Tiff bought the ugliest Jaeger they make, it seems.

So, I was home a few weeks ago and my mom dug up this slew of old watches that my grandfather once owned. There are some hilarious ones in there:

vgrEV.jpg

Hand watch is boss as fuck. But this is the one I'm interested in:

Hv0HP.jpg

It's a Swiss-made Titus from probably the 1970s or so. It's working as we speak, but just for a few seconds at a time before I need to shake it some more. Second hand glides real smooth. I'll need to bring it in for servicing and a new crystal, as well as an overall cleaning.

How much should I expect to pay for all of that? $200? Nabster, any chance you could help an FG brotha out?

Hmmm, not a big name, just another in the pile of watchmakers, at least they seem to have not completely vanished to history though (however, wiki quotes them being Hong-Kong based now, which shows me they didn't do too well, but they are still around). I'll assume it's got a fairly standard swiss ebauche from the time in it, so it should be a decent timekeeping watch. If it does indeed run a bit now there's a very good chance it's serviceable, but without actually seeing it to open it up and take a gander I can't really say anything with certainty here. There appears to be a bit of damage on the edge of the dial at about the 4 position, I'm not sure if that's just age and chipped paint or the dreaded moisture damage, but if it doesn't appear to have any other signs of moisture damage so I'm leaning toward just age and/or mishandling at some point. The crystal shouldn't be a problem, nor should a basic cleaning and service, the crown does look fairly worn and the bracelet is quite stretched out though. Those latter two would be harder to address. The top lugs look to be showing the [brass, probably] base metal of the case some, which tells me it's not a high quality solid stainless case, so it won't take to polishing very well. I suspect that would be a bit disappointing, since it won't look crisp and fresh with a bunch of splotchy base metal showing through.

I would expect $200 would be in the neighborhood, though that kind of puts it in an awkward position of costing more than it would be worth due to the condition, so it kind of depends how much value it holds sentimentally as to whether or not it would be worth getting it worked on.

I don't see any obvious reasons that I wouldn't be able to service it, but I'll be off on Christmas break until mid January and then once the spring semester starts I'm unsure of my work load since I'll be working with chronographs, so I don't feel safe committing to anything now. Perhaps near the end of January I would be able to let you know, if you're still interested. Sorry I can't really be much more help now, it's just bad timing :(

Anyone here have any experience with steinhart (http://www.steinhartwatches.de/)? I am looking at the ocean 1 vintage red or ocean 1 black to maybe buy. I know it looks quite like a Rolex Sub but i cannot afford and do not want to spend a rolex-amount-of-money on a watch but i do like the sub-style. I know alpha also has a similar model but i the steinhart looks to be better quality IMO. Any feedback on the Alpha is welcome too btw.

Just banked one of these...

1963_4.jpg

...from a Dutch website, no less. Been meaning to get one of these for a while, and for once it was cheaper than buying from eBay. Approx. $250, shipped. I feel so cultured ordering from Dutch Paypal.

Ironically I couldn't find any in Hong Kong...they are a self-loathing people, it seems. No Chinese watches. But if I want to buy a Hublot, Vacheron, Audemars, Omega, Cartier, Tissot, Longnies, Chronoswiss, Ball, Bell & Ross, Piaget, Jaeger, Tudor, Ebhor, Titoni, or 8 or 9 Rollies, then I'm in luck.

697.gif

Looks great!

Ironically I couldn't find any in Hong Kong...they are a self-loathing people, it seems. No Chinese watches. But if I want to buy a Hublot, Vacheron, Audemars, Omega, Cartier, Tissot, Longnies, Chronoswiss, Ball, Bell & Ross, Piaget, Jaeger, Tudor, Ebhor, Titoni, or 8 or 9 Rollies, then I'm in luck.

That's because people in Hong Kong actually don't like china. In the eyes of most Hong Kong people they would probably rather return to British rule than live under communist china. The only reason they aren't leaving in droves is because China declared it an autonomous zone.

My latest acquisitions:

Seiko 5 SNK809 (My first automatic!)

Benrus MIL-W-46374, I think its a Re-Issue of a Vietnam era General Issue watch.

What...BOTH! Much Want

Last edited:
Beautiful watches, and great photos. Love the weathered leather strap on the Benrus. And I'm wearing the same Seiko 5 right now :D

My one and only watch, a Breitling Chronographe Rattrapante that I have had for just over 9 years. It had been discontinued for a couple of years when I bought it so I was lucky to find a dealer that had it in stock.

Nice always liked the Breitlings, but some of the new ones are alittle over the top.

Still want my Omega Seamaster :(

With you on that one. I've not seen one since I bought mine that I would prefer over what I have.

Girlfriend gave me a Black Dice Mixtape for New Year, very happy with it :D

bd-042-01-mixtape-black-digital-watch.jpg

Almost bought me a new watch. Filled out the whole order form and all the CC info, when the site crashed. Sent them an email and they said that apart from the site crashing, they didn't have the watch in stock anyways :(

Was one of these.

Almost bought me a new watch. Filled out the whole order form and all the CC info, when the site crashed. Sent them an email and they said that apart from the site crashing, they didn't have the watch in stock anyways :(

Was one of these.

Boo, that thing looks awesome.