Post Your Watches

Almost bought a black Suunto Ambit today, but when I opened the box in store the display was positive instead of negative :(

I'll try one or two more stores, see if they have it in all black.

Edit: after reading the pdf manual, it turns out that the screen can be switched from positive to negative.

Guess I will have to go back to the store today to pick it up :D

Ah yes, the classic herpaderp RTFM moment. I've been there more than once. :lol:

Mail came today.
S1Y9Zv5.jpg

Its incredibly light and feels super cheap but looks nice. I'm amazed the tag on it says $345. Its not worth more than the $40 I paid for it.

And size comparo to with my Skagen

g7sFPH7.jpg

yV9WVgb.jpg

The dial is about the same size (don't have exact numbers), and its about twice as thick as the Skagen.
Overall first impression: Looks nice, wrist feel isn't terrible. We'll see how it will serve a full day of service tomorrow.

Very simplistic. I like it.

I finally decided to fix my broken Casio watch, second time I broke the wristwrap since I got it, the first time it was ghetto fixed in Canada at the official Vancouver Casio repair shop with nuts and washers, this time at the official Beijing Casio repair shop! They still didn't have the proper part to fix it (basically the pin that's holding the wrap to the watch broke and I lost the small metal part that come in between in the process) but they hacked one that fits from another part and I must say that it looks bloody good for a 10 minutes, $10 job!

I haven't worn a watch since I broke it last august, it feels weird now :-o

Seeing as how I'm not all too thrilled with the wrist feel of the August Steiner (not terrible, but not good either), I'm already planning my next watch purchase. I'm extremely happy with my Skagen, so I decided to get a 2nd one. I've narrowed my choices down to 2, now I need to select one.

http://www.skagen.com/en_US/shop/mens/mens_watches/black_leather_band_watch-989xlslbp.html

http://www.skagen.com/en_US/shop/mens/mens_watches/titanium_case_mesh_mens_watch-805xlttmp.html

I've seen both of them in person at my local jewelry store. Going to try them both on in the near future, but assuming they both fit well, which would you guys choose? I'm kinda leaning towards the 2nd, but I want to hear opinions. That said I don't know how toolish it would be to get a watch with CF face.
I emailed them asking if its actually CF or a CF design print since the description isn't clear on that. Also the day of the week indicator on the 1st seems backwards - you'd expect it to have M on the left, not right.

Last edited:
Take in to account the first has an integrated strap, if it wears out or breaks you're up a creek at Skagens' mercy as to whether or not you can get a replacement. The second is a bit weird, I don't really care for the look with random inset carbon, perhaps if the entire dial were though. Hopefully Fossils' recent purchase of Skagen doesn't impact their quality any more. They've been going a bit downhill over the last several years.

That looks like the Ford Fusion of watches: mundane badge, sporty good looks.

Today's obsession:

TitoniAirmaster004.jpg

:drool: I must find one!

You'll find a lot of those in China, it was a Swiss brand that wasn't sold in the States but took off in Asia and the Middle East. Of course, eBay has a few too...not too expensive, by the looks of it.

Speaking of cheapo, $100 watches:
ER2A005Y-4.jpg

This Orient Aviator is on sale, just a hundred bucks. 21-jewel automatic, classic flieghr looks, and Orient is a pretty good brand with their in-house movements. I've owned a few.

Hmm... $67 notbad.jpg

I'm really liking the black version, but Overstock adds a bullshit $20 fee for international orders, plus added shipping on top. <_< Ends up being cheaper to order it directly from Timex - which I did. Should look even better with a stitched black leather strap.

62226e34-32f3-4b1b-b8f5-1aade885a8e8_zps565d5cdf.jpg

I also quite like the look of the T49905, but I'd like to see it in person first.

timex-t49905-gents-watch-leather-strap.jpg

Edit, hell with it, found a good deal on Amazon and bought that one too. Three watches is more than enough for me, I'm done. :lol:

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I went to the swimming pool wearing my 10 year old Citizen Skyhawk that had never been maintained. Result:

IMG_0638.JPG

A jeweller dried it up, and changed the gasket for a whopping 7.50$, and now it is back in service, but with the minute hand slightly out of possition, so it reads 2 minute fast compared to the digital readout.

My new Suunto Ambit really dwarf my Citizen:

IMG_0664.JPG

As an actual pilot, do you find all those subdials and displays on the Citizen useful in flight, or is the pilot connection for the Skyhawk just marketing?

My guess is totally useless in flight, and it must be a good marketing plot since I bought one even though I haven't flown for real for over 15 years :lol:

I use the sliding ruler for speed/distance conversion quite often, but I don't think it would be practical to actually use it in flight, when you have a full size one handy.

The 24h clock is pretty much useless, and the UTC clock is hard to read since it is also a 24h dial.

However, the LCD display (damn, I did it myself!) is very useful to display a second time zone. But you don't need a "Pilot" watch to get that feature.

Last edited: