Post Your Watches

44. They do the same model in 47 as well, but I think it would look borderline ridiculous on my wrist.

And I learned about that brand here, in this very thread :)

Another change of plan, didn't wait for my birthday...

Just put an order for this:

My own pics to come when I receive it in a few weeks :D

Nice enough, but for a few more shekels you could've had a Stowa or a Laco. A watch from a company that actually made these things in the first place, rather than a watch from some Johnny-come-lately homage peddler. Don't let me put you off. You must've thought long and hard about the purchase and the watch must've sung to you, but I think you could've done so much better.
Cheers,
a Watch Snob :p

By a few more, you mean twice the price?

Bought this today! :)

My dade recieved one like this on in 1991. When he got a new watch he gave the Casio to me and I had it for another 5-7 years. The my dad took it again and lost it!

The only diference is that the light glows green. The one that we had was glowing in amber, yelowish light. And cant remember if the old one was made maybe in Japan, the new one is in China, but maybe I dont remember for sure. It was brought from US in 1991.

orologio-casio-a158wa-1df-800x595x-02.jpg

Last edited:
Nice enough, but for a few more shekels you could've had a Stowa or a Laco. A watch from a company that actually made these things in the first place, rather than a watch from some Johnny-come-lately homage peddler. Don't let me put you off. You must've thought long and hard about the purchase and the watch must've sung to you, but I think you could've done so much better.
Cheers,
a Watch Snob :p

Except that Laco don't make one that looks so similar to the IWC offering. I was rating this Steinhard based on it's look-a-like-ness.

By a few more, you mean twice the price?

Yeah, I'm just being a prick; but on this occasion "twice the price" is only a few hundred euros. I know a few folk who have bought Steinharts recently and have been underwhelmed. I hope you aren't. I recently ordered a Laco B-uhr (42mm) Type-B face (with a quartz movement - I want something that will cope with my golf swing) for $400 ... not too much for a well made watch with real provenance.

Except that Laco don't make one that looks so similar to the IWC offering. I was rating this Steinhard based on it's look-a-like-ness.

I think their Typ C looks very similar. Day, Date, three chronograph sub-dials, basic Type-A face. 1500 euros for an ETA or 200 euros for a quartz.

Last edited:
but on this occasion "twice the price" is only a few hundred euros

I think their Typ C looks very similar. Day, Date, three chronograph sub-dials, basic Type-A face. 1500 euros for an ETA

It is a jump from 810 euros (list price of the Steinhart) to 1500 euros for the Laco as you mention or 1700 euros for a comparable Stowa. Unless you call 700-900 euros "a few hundred euros" I would say Ketchup has a point.

It is a jump from 810 euros (list price of the Steinhart) to 1500 euros for the Laco as you mention or 1700 euros for a comparable Stowa. Unless you call 700-900 euros "a few hundred euros" I would say Ketchup has a point.

Few hundred euros. That's all. They are both cheap watches, one is a throw away (flick on ebay after 6 months) homage, the other has a history. The latter is worth the extra in my opinion. I'm not interested in watches for just superficial fashion. I'm interested in how they are made, who made them, why they are as they are, their heritage. A watch should last longer than the wearer, not just next season. A Laco Flieger has that heritage, that provenance that protects it from the quick flick. A Steinhart doesn't.

Yeah. Here I am debating if I can get a 50 quid Wenger and people think of 1500? watches as cheap.

Considering the cars he owns he is probably pretty well off, and it is understandable that 700 euros more or less doesn't make much of a difference to him. It is slightly less understandable that he can't see that spending 700 euros more for a watch makes quite a difference for most people.

I think their Typ C looks very similar. Day, Date, three chronograph sub-dials, basic Type-A face. 1500 euros for an ETA or 200 euros for a quartz.

I hadn't seen their Type C. It does look pretty great. Is it an ETA 7750 underneath it all?

Cheap watches?

What?

There are cheap watches and there are luxury watches. There isn't anything in the luxury category that is under about USD $2500 (new) - that might get you a Tudor Ranger or a pre-owned Speedmaster Professional. A luxury watch will get you recognition from others who know something about watches (and I'm ignoring vintage pieces in this dissertation). A well chosen luxury watch will also retain some of its purchase value after a couple of years of wear and may even appreciate in value. There is a huge global market for vintage luxury watches. There is no such market vintage dross.

A cheap watch (to me) is one which costs so little to replace that it isn't worth getting it serviced. A watch which costs USD $1000 (new) isn't worth getting serviced. By the time a service is due (5-7 years) on such a piece, it will be worth less than the service fee and will not appreciate in value even if serviced.

Left to right:

• First watch, Seiko Premier Perpetual Calendar. Start of the adventure!
  • King Seiko 5626-7041, looks nice and subtle, runs great for a 41-year old.
  • Citizen Eco-Drive, looks decent and it was 60% off, why not?
  • Seiko 6138-0040 "Bullhead", very unique design and the chrono comes in handly. Surprisingly accurate, as well, for a 38-year old. my daily driver.
  • Grand Seiko SBGA095, latest aquisition, and King of the roost. I love looking at the gliding second hand and the guilloche dial is just magical!

Oh, and my wife's Tissot 1853 above. She's not really into watches. Bleah.

Attachments

• IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
Last edited: