Post Your Watches

Cool story. Shame about the watch.

Not for me but since Junior becomes a teenager on Saturday he is getting this bad boy for Christmas.

collection-fi-le-charme-fatal.png

http://www.agentxwatch.com/collection/le-charme-fatal/agx040-agx043/agx041

And he has managed to bugger it already. Forgot to take it off, got in the shower and now there is condensation behind the glass. Worse still he kept lying about how it happened so I'm equally pissed about him lying to me as I am about the watch being spoiled in the space of less than four weeks.

It couldn't handle a single shower? And just put it in a hot and dry place for a while, the moisture will evaporate.

put it in a bag of rice...

but regardless, any watch should be able to take a shower!

We did the bag of rice in the airing cupboard thing for 36 hours already.

As soon as the watch got out into cooler air the damn droplets reappeared inside the glass.

I didn't fuss too much about water resistance as I thought he was grown up enough now to take proper care of it. Evidently not. Well I'm not buying him another one or trying to blag a replacement from Amazon. He can live with the consequences. Mainly because it took the thick end of 48 hours for him to come clean about what had happened.

Last edited:
I am sure it easily gets to that if not more. We can try again with a proper grip-seal bag in 3 weeks when he is next over.

Except the trouble is that he doesn't learn because his bone-idle mother is so concerned about being held on a pedestal by her children instead of being a proper parent that those kinds of things are not reinforced and in the brief time I get with him it's tough to instill proper values into him.

So, rice isn't the best idea. The dust can get inside the watch as well causing more issues. If you go this route don't just stick the watch head down directly in the rice, just put in in the same sealed container. A proper desiccant would be a better option.

No watch, regardless of water resistance rating, should be taken in the shower. The combination of heat, steam, soaps, and surfactants all contribute to the degradation of the seals and gaskets making the watch more prone to taking on moisture. The same goes for spas and hot tubs as well.

If water gets inside a watch the best course of action is to open it immediately and/or take it to a watchmaker. Rust begins to form extremely fast inside as the movements must be extremely clean and not every part has the benefit of being treated with an oil or grease or whatever protectant. When I say extremely fast I mean it can happen within minutes. I've seen a Panerai fail a wet pressure test and flood inside the watch, by the time the watchmaker got it opened and partially dismantled 15 minutes later some of the steel components of the movement had already formed bright orange rust.

Slight moisture ingress is generally less of a significant concern, but will still cause long term damage if not addressed. 3 weeks is probably pushing things depending on the extent of the moisture. The good news is, the movement in that watch is about $11, so assuming there wasn't damage to the case, dial, hands, etc the watch could be fixed up for not a lot of money. For what it's worth, I don't see any mention of water resistance at all on the website for that watch, unless it's marked on the back of the case I would conclude it's therefore not even splash resistant. The leather strap doesn't help things, those certainly aren't water resistant. A few smacks upside the head might help set things straight. :lol:

Pepsi refers to the colour of the bezel; do u have a specific model number you're looking at?

I can only assume you're referring to the SKX007K and J models. The J models are manufactured in Japan while the K models are made in Korea, that's literally the only difference. The jubilee bracelet that comes on some is merely okay, while I've heard that the rubber strap can be downright uncomfortable. Fortunately, there are aftermarket oyster bracelets and NATO straps to correct this.

Got this thing for free, as it was destined for the garbage bin as broken. It's got a funny backplate that lets the water in, and the interior of the watch is watertight. One of the bolts holding the battery door was stripped, which is what prevented whoever tried it before me from changing the battery. I got it open, changed the battery, it works. The door stays closed well enough on a single bolt, but perhaps it's not quite as properly watertight now :dunno:

It has a gimmicky touch-sensitive glass with 7 areas for various functions. The hands are driven by stepper motors. The temperature, meteo and altimeter functions don't work, as there is a temp/baro sensor inside, protected by a layer of water-restistant gel, which was pierced by someone, presumably ruining the sensor. The compass works. It's amusing and useless :) Should be good as a dirty job / garage watch.