Potentially in the market for an SUV

Sooo nice. Such a far cry from Fords of yesteryear.

AMSRHFJh.jpg

Gf is test-driving a GC tomorrow actually.

Let us know her impressions between the two. :) Was that explorer FWD or AWD?

Let us know her impressions between the two. :) Was that explorer FWD or AWD?
It was an AWD XLT, loaded to the gills. The NA 3.5L V6 wasn't bad actually. She liked it a lot. As I type this from work, she's driving a new Grand Cherokee in Jalopnik Brown. I'll report back with her impressions.

Edit: she likes it. Says the V6 has more power than her current V8.

Last edited:
Update: she liked the GC. Lease price is ~15% less than on the Ford, with less down. Also, since she's been coming to this same dealership for many years, they're willing to completely overlook the CEL (bad cat) on the trade-in, which is huge. I'm going to go drive it tomorrow and we'll go from there.

BTW, both the Explorer and (according to the lady) Grand Cherokee have lumbar cushions that nearly push you out of the seat. I like to have a lot of lumbar support but in the Explorer I inflated it barely half way and she says the Jeep is the same. Win for both cars!

It was an AWD XLT, loaded to the gills. The NA 3.5L V6 wasn't bad actually. She liked it a lot. As I type this from work, she's driving a new Grand Cherokee in Jalopnik Brown. I'll report back with her impressions.

Edit: she likes it. Says the V6 has more power than her current V8.

A loaded Explorer XLT AWD? Sounds expensive... But yea, lots of techno-gadgetry in there if its loaded.

Update: she liked the GC. Lease price is ~15% less than on the Ford, with less down. Also, since she's been coming to this same dealership for many years, they're willing to completely overlook the CEL (bad cat) on the trade-in, which is huge. I'm going to go drive it tomorrow and we'll go from there.

BTW, both the Explorer and (according to the lady) Grand Cherokee have lumbar cushions that nearly push you out of the seat. I like to have a lot of lumbar support but in the Explorer I inflated it barely half way and she says the Jeep is the same. Win for both cars!

Woohoo, a victory for the 3.6 Pentastar! I love that engine, it was super awesome in my previous Charger when mated with the 8spd trans. :D

Being serious for a moment, you cannot argue with $$$. That's a huge price difference right there and that would easily sway me towards the GC any bias notwithstanding. I had a situation where I could of got my 2016 R/T or a 2017 Daytona 392 or Scat Pack Charger for ~$4,000 more (or the 2017 Mustang GT I was tempted to buy). It was a really tough choice but I chose the cheaper R/T because it was hard to justify that much of a monthly payment increase for just more horsepowers that would get me in trouble with the law. Extra money in one's pocket is a valuable thing you know?

Last edited:
Potentially in the market for an SUV

Yeah, this is why my mother got a Sorento. For what GM and Ford offered, the Kia was a no brainer. They didn't bother with a GC because in my dad's mind, the only Jeep that exisits is a Wrangler and anything else is a rebadged Chrysler product. He's been bit in the ass too many times with Chrysler products over the years that he's written them off for life.

The Explorer looks good but damn is it expensive. Having driven a GC with the 3.6 and a 5 speed, it's awfully slow. I guess the 8-speed makes up for it.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is why my mother got a Sorento. For what GM and Ford offered, the Kia was a no brainer. They didn't bother with a GC because in my dad's mind, the only Jeep that exisits is a Wrangler and anything else is a rebadged Chrysler product. He's been bit in the ass too many times with Chrysler products over the years that he's written them off for life.

Well the GC isn't rebadged but it could be worse, imagine if he knew something with a Jeep badge is rebadged Italian crap?! :blink:

The Explorer looks good but damn is it expensive. Having driven a GC with the 3.6 and a 5 speed, it's awfully slow. I guess the 8-speed makes up for it.

+1, the Explorer is quite good looking. I just don't like the price and how it drives compared to others in its class but it is still a great SUV for the masses price notwithstanding. And you should drive one with the 8spd, it is like night and day. To put it in to perspective, the Charger I test drove in 2014 before I bought my first one was a 3.6 with the 5spd and it was ok. But as soon as I drove the one I eventually bought with the 8spd it was like a completely different experience. Plus, it was a full 1 second faster to 60mph. :D The GC almost feels athletic in terms of its throttle response with that 8spd around town.

A different Ford dealership offered a really good deal on the Explorer. However, it's a really sketchy dealership with a horrible reputation and they're telling us that the deal expires at 2pm tomorrow - not sure if terrorists will blow up their inventory at 2:01pm, the sun will burn out, or what, but it sounds stupid. Anyways, with this better offer in hand, wifey went back to Jeep and they beat it again, partly by offering double on our trade-in. Leaning towards the Jeep at this point; going to crunch some numbers tonight, drive the GC tomorrow morning, and make a decision.

A loaded Explorer XLT AWD? Sounds expensive... But yea, lots of techno-gadgetry in there if its loaded.
It's all relative. XLT is the second lowest trim level.

Woohoo, a victory for the 3.6 Pentastar! I love that engine, it was super awesome in my previous Charger when mated with the 8spd trans. :D
Eh, it's alright. I'm not in love with it but it's not terrible.

Yeah, this is why my mother got a Sorento.
Those are nice but we already have a toaster.

A different Ford dealership offered a really good deal on the Explorer. However, it's a really sketchy dealership with a horrible reputation and they're telling us that the deal expires at 2pm tomorrow - not sure if terrorists will blow up their inventory at 2:01pm, the sun will burn out, or what, but it sounds stupid. Anyways, with this better offer in hand, wifey went back to Jeep and they beat it again, partly by offering double on our trade-in. Leaning towards the Jeep at this point; going to crunch some numbers tonight, drive the GC tomorrow morning, and make a decision.

Holy sheeeeet! Sounds like that Jeep dealer really wants to make a deal. Any idea(s) what color your spouse wants?

*edit*
Oh, BTW. I'm bored at work nearly my log off time so this thread literally is my entertainment. :lol:

Last edited:
Damn that's one good looking Jeep. Love that color combo. Does this mean you both have decided?

That's impressive!

Next to the jeep? :p