Power or Pragmatic: The Cannonball Run

garglinggas

Car(s)
BMW E36 325i BMW E46 M3 Subaru WRX Prodrive (Sold)
lamborghini-countach-lp400s.jpg

Due to my previous posts I'd just like to start off on the right foot and say this post is in no way a click bait attempt at driving people to my blog purely for numbers.

I'd love to know what cars you petrolheads would choose to take on the NYC to L.A. road race.

I've loved the film since I rode a bike with stabalizers, and the fact many people take on the record every year fascinates me. A guy in a Merc with modded fuel recently took the record from Alexander Roy, a guy who ended up beating Richard Rawlings' attempt.

Would you go for the Jezza "POWER!" tactic, or would you go for the sleeper packed with scanners?

Last edited:
Due to my previous posts I'd just like to start off on the right foot and say this post is in no way a click bait attempt at driving people to my blog purely for numbers. I will provide a link...
Nah, it's still click bait.

Also,
17speed.2.650.jpg

/thread

A black Charger with black steelies. Cops aren't gonna look twice at you.

A black Charger with black steelies. Cops aren't gonna look twice at you.

Something like that. Friend of mine drives a white CVPI and has had cops running speed traps wave at him.

If it had to be something unique? An '80s Caprice with 450hp and tall gearing. And all that radar/laser/whatever detecting and jamming gear.

I'll bite (although I will not partake in the clickbait). Supposing that money isn't an object, I'd go with a CVPI with all of the electronics as well as an auxiliary fuel tank in the trunk, and a drive train swap from a C6 or C7 Corvette. I'm thinking that the cylinder deactivation might provide a fuel economy advantage since most of the drive will be at low-throttle.

Nah, this isn't clickbait. It's blog pimping.

Blog pimping sounds better. You don't have to click, it's just the race's history is listed. (I even stated this). I don't want big recognition of ?? - like I said, my blog is small and doesn't involve ads like click bait sites. It's no big deal clicking on my link, I'm not sitting here rubbing my hands together. This is my hobby about cars. If you don't like my posts, don't come to the post.

I could understand if you thought I was taking advantage and making money, but this clearly isn't the case.

I'd go with a grey W16 VW Phaeton with modded fuel cells.

- - - Updated - - -

Removed the link, but would still like to know what tactics you'd use regarding cops, lights, fuel stops etc...

That licence plate flipper is genius. That video with the Audi has annoying audio and does he really think that he's going to get away with rear strobes and sirens? I wish you could.

Based on the idea from the film that if you're going to pretend to be an emergency vehicle you should at least try to look like one, I'd be tempted to go for something this, filling the space where the water tanks would be with a big tank for fuel and a big tank for beer. Also fill the space where the engine goes with more engine.

66f620eb0dbb8ce402872a21628027a5.jpg

Naturally it would be designed with the local fire trucks in mind to blend in as much as possible.

That licence plate flipper is genius. That video with the Audi has annoying audio and does he really think that he's going to get away with rear strobes and sirens? I wish you could.

Based on the idea from the film that if you're going to pretend to be an emergency vehicle you should at least try to look like one, I'd be tempted to go for something this, filling the space where the water tanks would be with a big tank for fuel and a big tank for beer. Also fill the space where the engine goes with more engine.

View attachment 16072

Naturally it would be designed with the local fire trucks in mind to blend in as much as possible.

Good choice :D That image is the epitome of irony :)

P71 the greatest car America has ever made.

Why not get the Mercury Marauder? Slight bump in HP and completely loaded with every option possible for that car.

Just remove the chrome wheels and put steelies with chrome center cap and call it a day.