Power steering and A/C removal? Any real performance gains?

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
Thread title says it all, will removal of the power steering and air conditioning systems do anything besides free up under-hood space? I assume with a properly working A/C clutch the gains would be minimal, but what the hell, right?

Side note: Relocating alternator to the bottom of the engine bay where i'm sure it will be splashed regularly with water: Terrible idea?

Last edited:
Removing the AC will give you some power gains, yes. Not enough to sacrifice AC, in my opinion, though. Powersteering is the same.

Yup, gains in street use are minimal at best. Relocating the alternator down is also not a great idea - if not for the water issues, then for the fact that there tends to be oil down there - and getting caked in oil is a fast way for an alternator to overheat and die.

Removing AC can actually make your car slower too; some cars use the AC system to chill the fuel for more power or less vapor - others use it as a charge cooler for the forced induction system.

Power steering can consume quite a bit more, but if you're concerned about that fit an electric power steering system instead. Most race cars these days have power steering; it's a momentary load at worst, anyway, so it's really not worth messing with.

Last edited:
If you do replace the power steering switch to a manual rack. Have fun maneuvering something that heavy without it.

I suspect this is for the Miata, which in some years was available with a power steering delete option.

The power setting removal i just like for the idea of the car being under my control. Sure an automatic transmission can shift faster and smoother than i can, doesnt mean i want it :)

for the curious, this is the alt. relocation i'm thinking of.
mine029.jpg

:D soooo pretty! :D

This would go along with
  • BMR Tube K member
  • Tube control arms
  • Manual rack replacement
  • Every subframe connector and stiffening brace they make for the car
  • Electric water pump
  • Finally install that cam i've been sitting on for 2 years
  • Maybe battery relocation to the back of the car.
(this is a severe case of "Well while i've got it apart i may as well do X, and X, and X, and X")

Last edited:
If you do replace the power steering switch to a manual rack. Have fun maneuvering something that heavy without it.

There is no reason to buy a manual rack. Just remove the lines to the pump and plug the rack with these (or plumb the hose from one side to the other so it is a closed system). 90% of the effort in turning a power rack when it is not "powered" is trying to force the fluid through the pump. finally make sure you don't drain ALL the fluid from the rack because it acts as a lube to minimize wear.

EDIT: also it turns out the power rack is actually quicker lock to lock than the manual rack.

EDIT2: oh wait you are talking about your Z28... The same rules apply you just can't use the plugs i linked to and i am not sure if the manual rack or the power rack is quicker.

Last edited:
Must.... shift.....weight....to...the...rear...of...the...car, losing to ls1 firebirds (due to spinning tires uselessly), ARGH! (Also radio antenna-mounted pirate flag causing too much wind resistance)

[youtube]Vg1kg7X3FSM[/youtube]

Must.... shift.....weight....to...the...rear...of...the...car, losing to ls1 firebirds (due to spinning tires uselessly), ARGH! (Also radio antenna-mounted pirate flag causing too much wind resistance)

[youtube]Vg1kg7X3FSM[/youtube]
Bigger ass end tires that are also stickier.

Those are already 10 inch drag radials, the rear end (made of marshmallows, hopes and dreams) cant take much more abuse than that :)

Anyway this isnt about drag racing (i could go on and on), i was just wondering what kind of differance these things make. Individually they dont do much, but to 4 or 5 things together and i was sort of hoping for an overall less-encumbered engine.

Last edited:
Those are already 10 inch drag radials, the rear end (made of marshmallows, hopes and dreams) cant take much more abuse than that :)

Anyway this isnt about drag racing (i could go on and on), i was just wondering what kind of differance these things make. Individually they dont do much, but to 4 or 5 things together and i was sort of hoping for an overall less-encumbered engine.
Build a more powerful engine instead. :p

And if you think your rearend can't take much more sticky tires, what do you think it'll do with more power?

Also, how does power steering 'reduce your control' over the car? It's still directly connected to the steering wheel.

It doesnt, i just think it would be cool to have a lack of power steering, brainstorming, wondering if it makes a differance, and i learned (from you), not really on a constant basis. Maybe i'll get rid of it, maybe the money spent making this happen would be better spent elsewhere. Its just a thread, call of your dogs.

I was saying the fewer "devices" on the car that do not make it roll in a forward direction, the better from a purist standpoint. Making it easier to turn the wheel is a luxury, not a need. Luxury, comfort, economy and practicality are not what i am looking for in the car, and am as such considering the removal of the device.

Last edited:
I was saying the fewer "devices" on the car that do not make it roll in a forward direction, the better from a purist standpoint. Making it easier to turn the wheel is a luxury, not a need. Luxury, comfort, economy and practicality are not what i am looking for in the car, and am as such considering the removal of the device.
No, no. Trust me when I say this; power steering with a V8 is a need. Sure, on the road, it's fine. Parking lots, drive through restaurants, etc... not so much.

removing the power steering will greatly increase your performance.

Would you mind terribly giving more information as to this claim?

As for "Strong of arm", i mean i'm no bodybuilder, but using two arms to turn the wheel when turning into a tight, slow speed parking space is not the end of the world. Thats as difficult as its been with other fourth gens in the past. (not mine). Now if i did it properly and put in a rack designed for it, im sure it would be alright.

Matt have you driven a car without power steering? I have no problem with my MG, but I couldn't imagine maneuvering a car twice its weight through a parking lot. You may need to get a bigger steering wheel.