Pre-1981 Yamaha VIN decoder?

tigger

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'88 Vic Wagon, '92 Honda VFR
Hey guys, this isn't too pressing, but it might help when I finally have to wade through the legal quagmire of registering my Yamaha. I've been trying to find a VIN decoder for it but so far I've had no luck. The problem is that everything I've found is just for the post-1981 17-digit VIN numbers. My '73 has a 9 digit VIN. I'm going to go pose the question to a few Yamaha forums too, but I figured I'd run this past the brilliant minds of Finalgear ;). If any of you guys have a lead for me I'd appreciate it.

Yamaha vin?

Yamaha vin?

Hey Manhattan!,
I grew up there, used to DJ down at MR K's in Aggieville. Of course it's long gone now. The only bar I recognize when I am in town is Auntie Mae's

Anyway, did you ever get an answer about the Yamaha VIN? I have a 79 XS750SF that I wouild like to know about.

yeah, i need papers for my banshee as well

need something to show the cops when they stop me, and i won't stay lucky all time

Hey Manhattan!,
I grew up there, used to DJ down at MR K's in Aggieville. Of course it's long gone now. The only bar I recognize when I am in town is Auntie Mae's
It's funny you mention it, Auntie Mae's is my favorite place. O'Malleys is pretty good too, especially if you like Guinness and Jameson whiskey. Where was Mr. K's? I know a bar burnt down where Porters is now.

Anyway, did you ever get an answer about the Yamaha VIN? I have a 79 XS750SF that I would like to know about.
yeah, i need papers for my banshee as well

need something to show the cops when they stop me, and i won't stay lucky all time
I never found a complete Yamaha VIN decoder online. I wound up having to do it the old fashioned way; hang around my local Yamaha dealership until someone knowledgeable about old stuff showed up (the owner). The best advice I can give you guys is to either do the same or browse some Yamaha forums. I think you guys should have an easier time decoding a post '77 VIN, because there where some industry standards established that year, iirc.

i just need one that ran into a tree or sth, so i can bash that number in my frame

9 digit decoder

9 digit decoder

It's funny you mention it, Auntie Mae's is my favorite place. O'Malleys is pretty good too, especially if you like Guinness and Jameson whiskey. Where was Mr. K's? I know a bar burnt down where Porters is now.

I never found a complete Yamaha VIN decoder online. I wound up having to do it the old fashioned way; hang around my local Yamaha dealership until someone knowledgeable about old stuff showed up (the owner). The best advice I can give you guys is to either do the same or browse some Yamaha forums. I think you guys should have an easier time decoding a post '77 VIN, because there where some industry standards established that year, iirc.

The following link is very useful and where i decoded the info for a Yamaha XS850SG I am restoring.
http://www.johnnystoybox.com/parts_cross.htm

Last edited:
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! AM TRYING TO GET PARTS FOR MY YAMAHA PW50 BUT CANT FIND THE YEAR OFF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON THE FRAME IT SAYS 4X4-270650 HOW DO I FIND OUT,
THANKS RYAN

WHAT? WE CAN"T HEAR YOU.

And old thread