Pre-ringmeet roadtrip 2015, let the planning commence! [Long Finland/Norway Roadtrip]

I've done it in ten hours from that ferry with normal and wet driving including stops and some jams :hmm:

It's not just the bit before Hamburg, expect the 65km before Hamburg to be a mix of reduced speeds, contraflows, regular sections, etc. - concrete dates aren't out yet, but the preparation for loads of contraflow (adding a temporary lane to one side) are already underway so I expect them to be in full swing over the summer.

Route looks good to me at first glance.
As the (currently) only biker I won't have a problem with doing 4-500km a day, I can deal with 600km in a pinch but I'd prefer not to do it too often. The main problem for me -compared to cars- is range. While most -if not all- cars will be able to cover all proposed daily distances on a single tank I would have to stop for fuel about every 200km. (I can do more, say 260-270 depending on fuel milage, but I start to get antsy for petrol once I go past 200) This would mean stopping every 2 hours or so taking at least 10-15 minutes to refuel and stretch my legs a bit.
If this would mean planning the trip around my limitations I'd much rather gracefully bow out now, rather than be a bother to all the others. Especially since I'd be the only biker.

That's just one suggestion. And I was assuming that at least some people would prefer doing that bit in parts (mainly thinking of bikers).

Concerning the trip back to Germany I'm planning on leaving a day early since I need to swing by my place to pick up the car for the Ringmeet.
I'm either going back to Belgium by boat (Driving to G?teborg, the schedule would have me board at 4 in the morning on thursday), but this also means I would only arrive at the Ringmeet on friday at 7pm or so.
The alternative is to drive the entire way back, but I definitely need to tackle that trip in 2 parts, 1300km in one stretch is just too much. :p

As for getting to Helsinki in the first place, I saw in the Google doc there are a few other people looking at taking a ferry from Travem?nde (Eye-Q and Bobble iirc?). I'm up for traveling together as that would greatly lower the price for the crossing*. If not I'd probably still go with my original plan of boating to G?teborg, driving to Stockhom and ferrying to Helsinki, but the logistics of that are proving to be more of a hassle than expected. If I could ferry from Tr?vemunde straight to Helsinki for the same price as my alternative (about ?3-400) I'd much prefer that. :)

*Not sure if it is possible to book multiple passengers AND multiple vehicles though.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's not too early to ask for an estimate of the departure time and place on the 25th? :) OK, not a specific time, but just some idea if it's in the morning or afternoon. R.A. will be there with his Supra to send us off if he's free from work.

MXM also needs fuel in the 7 every ~300 km, so that's no problem DaHitch.

With your foot (or hand, in this case), you better attach a second fuel tank instead of the spare tire to the back of the car :)

Having to stop every 200km or so for fuel is just a good reason to force the whole group to take a break every now and then. After all, we're there to see the sights as well, not just blast past as fast as possible. :)

MXM also needs fuel in the 7 every ~300 km, so that's no problem DaHitch.

Even 300km is the limit, I'll much rather do it too often than not often enough*!

*I've pushed the car to the fuel station twice, and arrived misfiring but with own power once ;)

I'm guestimating my Audi will need fuel about every 1000km or so...

HESruiD.png

:ninja:

Well, with the thousands of drivers and only a couple of passengers I'm thinking about not taking my car on the roadtrip but passengering either with Beni or Bobele and picking up my car on the way down from Norway to the 'ring. It's still a while to decide so nothing definitive, maybe it'll be the other way round, that Bobele comes here, parks his car here and picks it up again on the way down.

I vote you and Mikko team up in the Swift again :lol:

It's too early for anything confirmed of course, but I'm still positively surprised by the initial interest. :) I thought the driver/passenger -ratio would be reverse of what it is now. But as said, open plans still.

Btw... i may have missed it, but when would be the exact date of the roadtrip? When do we start from Helsinki?

I don't know if I can do this... maybe as a passenger :dunno: But my offer for lakeside sauna still stands :) There's sleeping room indoors for maybe 10 people tops, but room for tents. :lol: