Pre-ringmeet roadtrip 2015, let the planning commence! [Long Finland/Norway Roadtrip]

Ok, then schedule stands as is. Daboom suggested moving the starting point from Helsinki to Publics cabin, effectively giving us an extra day, but that would mean 140km or so of driving for those arriving to the port in Helsinki. Does this work for you guys?

Ok, then schedule stands as is. Daboom suggested moving the starting point from Helsinki to Publics cabin, effectively giving us an extra day, but that would mean 140km or so of driving for those arriving to the port in Helsinki. Does this work for you guys?

I don't understand how that helps, everyone with critical schedule go via Helsinki, pretty much?

Well, not exactly. What I meant was, we (those who can make it) could start on Friday and do the coastal loop and stay at my place. And while we set off from there on Saturday, rest of the group would start from Helsinki like before, only heading straight for the cabin. It wouldn't make the day any longer, as making a shortcut there is easy. Then again, it has the downside of the second group missing the best road in th.. Finland. And most people who could start on Friday have been there already. :)

But I guess keeping to the current plan is the best bet. I can of course host and think of roads to drive if some want to start earlier.. :p

Yeah, there's that as well. But then again, first two days are easy to shortcut. So you could join us at Casa de public at Kerim?ki (if we would leave on Thursday that is). Also, that way you could possibly pickup people from airport, if there are people flying in with similar schedule restrictions? :)

If I'm coming with the Opel, which I hope I'm not, I can of course give a ride to anyone in need. But I'm going home in time to be at work on Monday, so the possible passengers need to find another ride for the rest of the trip.

But still hoping for something Japanese with two wheels, so don't rely on me being in a car.

As some of you might have noticed, be it here or in #ringmeet on IRC, the schedule is getting a bit cramped. The current suggestion is to prolong the trip if possible, as the schedule currently stands as this:

This is both for giving us more time at some key locations like Nordkapp and Leknes. A resting day at Ivalo has been suggested as well. This plus slimming down the driving distances a bit. A suggestion could be starting Monday 20th instead, giving people ample time during the weekend to reach and organize at the precise starting point which is yet to be pinned down.

Is a poll needed or can we reach an agreement? Feel free to suggest and discuss dates or other solutions you might have at hand :)

I'm only able to take vacation from july 24th to august 6th and I've already ordered those dates, I hope changes wont be made :blink:

Finally wolfed trough this thread. - Initially I was all "Yeah" for the trip, but:

It will take me at least two days (including 26hrs jamesmay-ing on the ferry) just to show up at the starting point in Helsinki = I have to drive off at July 23th and then be underway until August 9th or 10th, Ringmeet included. - That's almost three weeks and simply too long.

Finally wolfed trough this thread. - Initially I was all "Yeah" for the trip, but:

It will take me at least two days (including 26hrs jamesmay-ing on the ferry) just to show up at the starting point in Helsinki = I have to drive off at July 23th and then be underway until August 9th or 10th, Ringmeet included. - That's almost three weeks and simply too long.

You could just fly over here and be a passenger, there is enough Finnish cars for the first journey :p

If time is the issue i'm sure Ice wouldn't object to doing the drive for you, and you can fly in to Helsinki to use your own car :D

You can reach the 3rd base (huehue) in a day, as the ferry arrives in the morning and it's about 6-7h drive there. So you can shorten the route by two days easily and still make the key destination, if that helps.

Edit: actually, you might catch us mid-day that way, since I have a scenic stop scheduled for that day..

Last edited:
If time is the issue i'm sure Ice wouldn't object to doing the drive for you, and you can fly in to Helsinki to use your own car :D

He has already asked me twice by now, but never for the car, only for the engine... :lol:

You can reach the 3rd base (huehue) in a day, as the ferry arrives in the morning and it's about 6-7h drive there. So you can shorten the route by two days easily and still make the key destination, if that helps.

Edit: actually, you might catch us mid-day that way, since I have a scenic stop scheduled for that day..

Third base in one day. What an date! :D

Ok, start at saturday morning at my home base, a blast trough Germany, a hop onto the the ferry at midnight, then staring at the sea for 26 hours, and from monday morning on giving it the beans to catch you up somewhere way oop north. - So that's the plan. Sounds much better.

Last edited:
Or there is the other way, ignoring the expensive ferry, and simply drive off at Friday evening going all on land up to Helsinki (possible even avoiding the Tallin Ferry by doing a detour trough St, Petersburg):

Would proably not help timewise (quite a few pauses and some overnight stays), but I could tick off a few boxes more with countrys I've never been so far (Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia), and could go at my own pace (instead of reaching/waiting for boring Ferrys )...

Last edited:
There we go: (about five tanks of petrol and quite an epic drive in itself...)
Screenshot__19592_.jpg

That's much more like it!

Last edited:
Don't you need a visa to go into Russia? Also, getting through customs might take a while, then again I'm basing my info off The Long Way Round where they had to check in a crew of about 8 people, 3 motorcycles, 2 cars and about ?100.000 worth of camera gear.

Also, where's the Google docs link with the participation list? I can't find it in the thread anymore. My participation in the trip atm is kind of dependent on finding other people with which to share the cost of the ferry from Travem?nde to Helsinki. If not I might have to cancel and just go with the mini road trip instead. :/

Don't you need a visa to go into Russia?

Yeah, a transit visa, don't want to deal with that crap. - Was just an idea...
And the Ferry Tallin-Helsinki is cheap (in comparison) so that initial route is more realistic.

Screenshot__19591_.jpg

Last edited:
Also, where's the Google docs link with the participation list? I can't find it in the thread anymore. My participation in the trip atm is kind of dependent on finding other people with which to share the cost of the ferry from Travem?nde to Helsinki. If not I might have to cancel and just go with the mini road trip instead. :/

Should be in your inbox. I never shared it publicly, as it's open for editing..

That explains it. :)