Prius, Toyota's next brand

Devon

Car(s)
2008 MY09 Subaru Impreza RX
Prius, Toyota's next brand?

05/16/07, 09:00pm, EDT

Automobile Magazine reported today that Toyota is create another brand, named after its successful Prius to better market its hybrid cars.

After MY2011, Toyota hybrid's will no longer be sold under the Toyota nameplate, but instead under the Prius name.

The Prius line of cars will be markedly different from their Toyota counterparts with unique sheet metal and hybrid powertrains. The Prius line will offer three different models which have been internally dubbed Prius A, Prius B and Prius C, ranging in from Yaris to Camry size. The Prius A will be introduced in 2009, "B" will be introduced in 2010 and the "C" will launched in 2011.

The exterior of the new Prius cars won't be as controversial as the first and second generation Prius were, but Toyota forsees difficulty in providing a spacious interior and trunk space because of the size of the battery packs.

Source

Hollywood get excited!!

As much as I hate it, I think this is the future right here and Toyota's on top of the game...

I can see this working extremely well - the name's established and Toyota have the marketing brains and budget to leverage it well.

So the poster child automobile of the modern hippie gets its own brand? Ugh...

So now that Toyota has 4 brands, does this mean they're growing into the next GM/FoMoCo/Chrysler?

Greeeaaaat...

I'd rather they put their money into researching genuine alternative technologies, not just putting expensive wasteful systems on an engine to incrase the MPG by 25%. Fuel cell, genuine electric, sails, whatever. Hybrid is just a marketing gimmick.

^

What I find funny is that GM has been researching alternatives, yet the enviromentalists/hippies/whoever rail off on them about "green washing" their hybrid trucks.

Basically they claim that since GM's hybrid trucks don't get Prius gas milage, they shouldn't be called hybrids, because its misleading the green minded public (or something like that).

They should do like South Park and name their cars "Pious"

I can see this working extremely well - the name's established and Toyota have the marketing brains and budget to leverage it well.

I should point out that I don't like the idea - nor the car itself - but it will work for Toyota.

^

What I find funny is that GM has been researching alternatives, yet the enviromentalists/hippies/whoever rail off on them about "green washing" their hybrid trucks.

Basically they claim that since GM's hybrid trucks don't get Prius gas milage, they shouldn't be called hybrids, because its misleading the green minded public (or something like that).

They should do like South Park and name their cars "Pious"

The whole "hybrid" thing is a scam. It's not relevant what drivetrain it has, all that matters is the fuel efficiency and emissions at the end of the day. Whether it comes from an engine that has a battery for temporary use or not is irrelevant, it's still using the fuel it uses, which is what these hippies don't seem to understand. Look at the hybrid SUV Lexus made. An environmental would have you believe that is better for the environment than a little petrol Aygo that gets over 60mpg. Meanwhile Supreme Ruler of Londonshire Ken Livingstone does decree that the thirsty wasteful SUV can piss on the face of congestion charging but if an Aygo turns a wheel within 3 million miles of a city centre the driver is compared to a terrorist.

Excuse my rant.

I wish companies would just concentrate on reducing fuel usage and emissions in these types of cars instead of these gimmicks.

As much as I don't like the Prius, but I love Toyota's... I forsee it being a Giant success, why waste the name which the entire Hollywood can remember off the top of their head and are mentioning it left right and center, make it a brand and it'll be a huge success.

Whether we like it or not, Environmentally friendlier cars are going to be part of the future and Toyota's are yet again going to be the leaders.

Screw it, it's Toyota. At this stage they can literally get away with anything. Expect average Americans and the media to eat this up like the Second Coming of Jesus. I'm with GraemeH and don't believe that hybrids are the be-all, end-all answer to everything, but if Hollywood wants to look like saints then there's one born every minute. All the power to Toyota for making money off them like this, then.

They might as well strafe the RenCen and all of Dearborn with Tomahawk missiles.

<rant>

Damnit! This is exactly why I hate the Prius. I don't have a problem with hybrids in general; I don't think they do anything to help the environment (quite the contrary), but I don't mind them. The Prius is the only exception. It's the only hybrid that goes out of its way to scream

HEY LOOK AT ME! I'M DRIVING A HYBRID! I'M BETTER THAN YOU!

The owners (in general) are much the same way. They always find a way to work their Prius into the conversation, usually in such a way to show how much better than everyone else they are. The comments are not about the car, they are about the owner. It's the owner's way of saying, "I'm more earth-friendly than you, and that makes you a worse person than me." I can only think of one person who owns a Prius who isn't like this. I have known people who drive other hybrid cars that look like normal cars, Camry, Hylander, Civic, and so forth. All those people are rather cool, they tend not to rub your nose in the fact that they have a hybrid. They are content to be another car on the road while Prius owners want to be noticed. They aren't concerned with the environment, they are concerned with appearing concerned about the environment. Look at Hollywood: Travolta went on and on about his Prius and then went out and flew his own personal Boeing 707. No one else is any different. Most households that own a Prius actually use more fuel than those that own a standard Civic or Corolla because that Prius is parked next to an SUV or other gas guzzler.

I hate the Prius, and I (generally) hate Prius owners. The last thing I want is three models of that turdmobile rolling around California.

</rant>

<rant>

Damnit! This is exactly why I hate the Prius. I don't have a problem with hybrids in general; I don't think they do anything to help the environment (quite the contrary), but I don't mind them. The Prius is the only exception. It's the only hybrid that goes out of its way to scream

HEY LOOK AT ME! I'M DRIVING A HYBRID! I'M BETTER THAN YOU!

The owners (in general) are much the same way. They always find a way to work their Prius into the conversation, usually in such a way to show how much better than everyone else they are. The comments are not about the car, they are about the owner. It's the owner's way of saying, "I'm more earth-friendly than you, and that makes you a worse person than me." I can only think of one person who owns a Prius who isn't like this. I have known people who drive other hybrid cars that look like normal cars, Camry, Hylander, Civic, and so forth. All those people are rather cool, they tend not to rub your nose in the fact that they have a hybrid. They are content to be another car on the road while Prius owners want to be noticed. They aren't concerned with the environment, they are concerned with appearing concerned about the environment. Look at Hollywood: Travolta went on and on about his Prius and then went out and flew his own personal Boeing 707. No one else is any different. Most households that own a Prius actually use more fuel than those that own a standard Civic or Corolla because that Prius is parked next to an SUV or other gas guzzler.

I hate the Prius, and I (generally) hate Prius owners. The last thing I want is three models of that turdmobile rolling around California.

</rant>

indeed

Why am I beginning to think Toyota is following the GM example?

I can see this being a similar issue as we have with GM now, one devision has nearly the right car, but you can't get it the way you might want (with a hybrid) because "that model is only made as a Prius, so you have to buy the ugly one.

As much as I hate it, I think this is the future right here and Toyota's on top of the game...

I think hybrids are more the right now rather than the future. I'd bet that the future will be true zero emissions, like fuel cells and hydrogen power, although how much environmental waste is produced to make usable hydrogen is anyone's guess. I think Honda has the upper hand in terms of fuel cell research and future outlook. No surprise to hear Toyota trying to capitalize on the hybrid mania now since they probably well know it won't last THAT much longer into the future.

That being said, whatever technology ends up being next-gen, you can bet Toyota will be right there. The Prius brand could work well in that it would be Toyota's clean car range be it hybrids now, fuel cells in the future, or Jetson's power in the way way future.

Ah well, as long as the average consumption of oil goes down and theres more of it left for my terribly wasteful car and bike I am happy.
So, Go Prius.

Too bad China, India and all the other developing countrys in the world will soon be sucking the earth dry anyway,

What's next? A Prius clothing line? Prius aftershave? Prius organic foods? :lol:

Seriously though, as much as I dislike Toyota and the whole hybrid thing, this seems like a brilliant idea. It seemed to work well marketing cars to younger people, why shouldn't it work with 'eco-friendly' cars?