Prizrak hates Brooklyn roads (a sad story)

That happened to me twice, well the first time it happened when my mom was driving my car, with the rest of my family in the car. We were driving and all of the sudden BOOM!. We didn't get a light in the dash, but we pulled over anyway, and my front passenger side was flat (thank god the rims ere fine).

And the second time I ran over this pothole on this one road near my house (ridden with potholes, and instead of repaving the road, they make it even more bone jarring with horrible patch jobs). I ran over it, boom, didn't think anything of it, so kept going to my destination, the next day I found out it was flat, apparently it was a nail according to my dealer but he didn't seem like he knew.

Anyway sorry for my story, how much does a tire for that Audi cost?

That happened to me in my 850, hit a pothole, cracked the rim, ruined the tyre, and did the same for about four or five cars behind me. It was so hard that both sides' sun visors fell off. Luckily the city paid for my damages, but it was a bitch finding a new rim for that car (they are directional)

That happened to me twice, well the first time it happened when my mom was driving my car, with the rest of my family in the car. We were driving and all of the sudden BOOM!. We didn't get a light in the dash, but we pulled over anyway, and my front passenger side was flat (thank god the rims ere fine).

And the second time I ran over this pothole on this one road near my house (ridden with potholes, and instead of repaving the road, they make it even more bone jarring with horrible patch jobs). I ran over it, boom, didn't think anything of it, so kept going to my destination, the next day I found out it was flat, apparently it was a nail according to my dealer but he didn't seem like he knew.
That sux, with low profiles its much harder to tell if the tire is flat or not since the sidewalls are so damn stiff.
Anyway sorry for my story, how much does a tire for that Audi cost?
Not sure what the OEM tires would be the ones I got on there are $140/each, funnily enough the tire wasn't hurt it seems, no blisters or holes or anything.
but it was a bitch finding a new rim for that car (they are directional)
Wow that is a terrible terrible design, I never heard of directional rims.

The reason mom's PT crapped out were the control arms.... took under 40k miles for the roads around here to destroy them. :|
I play a game driving home on 93, it's called the dodge the potholes while going 90 in the left hand lane game....

The reason mom's PT crapped out were the control arms.... took under 40k miles for the roads around here to destroy them. :|
I play a game driving home on 93, it's called the dodge the potholes while going 90 in the left hand lane game....

Ooooh I know that game. Last time I was in Boston it was just as bad as NYC.

That sux, with low profiles its much harder to tell if the tire is flat or not since the sidewalls are so damn stiff.

Not sure what the OEM tires would be the ones I got on there are $140/each, funnily enough the tire wasn't hurt it seems, no blisters or holes or anything.

Wow that is a terrible terrible design, I never heard of directional rims.

What tires you using? I remember my continentals were like $215 each, but of course that was the stealership :/ Did you have to ride around on those horrid donuts?

What tires you using? I remember my continentals were like $215 each, but of course that was the stealership :/ Did you have to ride around on those horrid donuts?
I'm running Goodyear Eagle GT A/S 235/40R18. No no donuts, the car came with a full size spare but the tire doesn't lose air all that quickly, I were able to drive around on it, only noticed something wrong when car started pulling to the right when the tire got low.
@That American Girl,
Thanks for the info.

That happened to me in my 850, hit a pothole, cracked the rim, ruined the tyre, and did the same for about four or five cars behind me. It was so hard that both sides' sun visors fell off. Luckily the city paid for my damages, but it was a bitch finding a new rim for that car (they are directional)

Erm...did you have aftermarket rims? Because none of the stock 850 rims are directional.

Well, to the OP, sorry about what happened to you, but at least you saved my rims today. I was on the way to the city in the morning in my wife's 335, and I was taking that same ramp from Belt to BQE, and I was being extra careful because I remember about your post. Even knowing about that pothole, it was still a beotch to avoid it because of its location, but I managed to avoid it. If I didn't know about it, I would've definitely hit it. Big thanks!

Well, to the OP, sorry about what happened to you, but at least you saved my rims today. I was on the way to the city in the morning in my wife's 335, and I was taking that same ramp from Belt to BQE, and I was being extra careful because I remember about your post. Even knowing about that pothole, it was still a beotch to avoid it because of its location, but I managed to avoid it. If I didn't know about it, I would've definitely hit it. Big thanks!

Glad to be of service :) That thing is a killer ain't it? Looks like a frigging Sarlac could live in it....

Prizak, I don't know about the laws in NY, but here if your car is damaged by the infrastructure (like pot holes) you can send the bill to the city to pay for the damages.

Friend of mine even did it to a housing association for having their sprinklers improperly aimed at putting water spots on his paint that couldn't be fixed cheaply.

Get a ruler and a pickaxe, pound at it until it's more than 3", call the DOT again, profit.

Last edited:
Prizak, I don't know about the laws in NY, but here if your car is damaged by the infrastructure (like pot holes) you can send the bill to the city to pay for the damages.

Friend of mine even did it to a housing association for having their sprinklers improperly aimed at putting water spots on his paint that couldn't be fixed cheaply.

Rolf @ the video. Yeah I hear some people had success with it. I'm going to try and follow the guide that That American Girl linked to, except of course I can't take a picture of the pothole since its on a highway and see where it takes me.

My apologies for not thinking of this sooner. If the highway is a Federal or State Highway, you would need to contact the NYSDOT. If it's a city road or the city maintains it, you need to contact the city. They were slow before the economy fell apart, so they'll probably be on geological time now.

https://www.nysdot.gov/programs/pothole-rpt

My apologies for not thinking of this sooner. If the highway is a Federal or State Highway, you would need to contact the NYSDOT. If it's a city road or the city maintains it, you need to contact the city. They were slow before the economy fell apart, so they'll probably be on geological time now.

https://www.nysdot.gov/programs/pothole-rpt

Thanks, you are nice :p

Erm...did you have aftermarket rims? Because none of the stock 850 rims are directional.

Nope, it was with my winter tyres, mounted on 850 Turbo rims. Stock photo:
94904071000112-480.jpg

The summer tyres were mounted on the stock Turbo R rims that it came with from the factory
1995_volvo_850_4_dr_t5r_turbo_sedan-pic-39339.jpeg

With the city now being broke lets just say it's a lot worse now.

This is a bit off-topic, but maybe if they didn't pour $722,000,000 into their CityTime attendance system NYC wouldn't be so broke.
"New York City is reportedly paying 230 consultants an average annual salary of $400K for a computer project that is seven years behind schedule and vastly over budget. The payments continue despite Mayor Bloomberg's admission that the computerized timekeeping and payroll system ? dubbed CityTime ? is 'a disaster.' Eleven CityTime consultants rake in more than $600K annually, with three of them making as much as $676,000. The 40 highest-paid people on the project bill taxpayers at least $500K a year. Some of the consultants have been working at these rates for as long as a decade."

Last edited:
IDK about new york, but when they did the stimulus package MA used it to putting up signs about "putting america to work" (by putting up the signs) :|

I was getting on the highway today and at the end of the on ramp there was a huge pothole. You can't see it till right before you hit it and there is nowhere to go to avoid it. Considering that you are right on the highway at this point, you are generally going around 50. So long story short I'll be ordering me a new rim :(

I feel your pain, my first A4 went through 3 sets of wheels because of the roads in Manhattan. Now gladly living in LI I don't have to deal with this haha.