Problem Accessing Site via Verizon?

Leadfoot866

Car(s)
'12 Ford Focus hatch, '06 Nissan Sentra sedan
Ok, I have an interesting problem...

This morning I couldn't access the site nor the forums on my computer. At first I thought it was a server error, but after talking to my brother (has Comcast), I started to get suspicious. None of my devices can connect to the site via the network, but when I tried connecting through my phone (AT&T), I got in just fine (yes, I'm writing this through my phone).

I checked the router to see if it had accidentally blocked it, but it was fine. I checked my Verizon account and there was nothing out of the ordinary there either.

I can access every other website I know of on my computer, just not FinalGear. I can't even ping the site! I'm thinking it might be a problem with the Verizon DNS server. Does anyone here have/use Verizon or know someone that has Verizon who is experiencing similar issues?

Thanks!

- Dan

Sorry I don't know more, but here at work (Verizon FiOS) I got 404 errors trying to reach this site earlier this morning. It quickly resolved itself.

There was a hiccup with DNS this morning, which probably got cached either by your home router or by Verizon. If it still doesn't work, then there might be something else going on though.

Yeah, it was the DNS.

I played around with the DNS settings on the router. It was set to automatic DNS address retrieval, so I changed it manual and entered the address of another DNS server. Everything is working now, though a few sites are a little sluggish to load.

I'll give it a day or two and then set it back to auto.

Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated.

- Dan

Last edited:
This is weird, I'm getting the issue now but I'm using Google DNS not Verizon's.

This morning, everything was fine, but now my Verizon phone can't reach the forums nor irc. *shrug*

Having the same problems with the site and irc (all three addresses). I've disabled prefetch dns and set cache entries and expiration to 0.

PC -

Results:

I'll keep trying connections, but time to leave work. So, I'm not dead, just unconnectable :p

Last edited:

Alternate connection. Looks like the problem in the previous post is due to Vodaphail.

FinalGear went dark for me all evening yesterday with a DNS failiure.

There was a hiccup with DNS this morning, which probably got cached either by your home router or by Verizon. If it still doesn't work, then there might be something else going on though.
Somehow they did not get propagated for a full day over here ;(

Last edited:
Until now I was also not able to connect for almost 2 days.

Some DNS servers have been very slow in updating. If you (or someone you know) can't connect, change to a DNS provider that knows what it's doing.

I have not been able to reach the site since Thursday, I do have Verizon FIOS. What are the steps to get the site working again. (By the way for the next couple of days i will be at the GF house so i should be able to see responses. Thanks Guys

I have not been able to reach the site since Thursday, I do have Verizon FIOS. What are the steps to get the site working again. (By the way for the next couple of days i will be at the GF house so i should be able to see responses. Thanks Guys

Well, it depends on what router you have, but I believe the Actiontec MI424WR is one of the most common with FiOS users (this is the one I have).
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiosinternet/troubleshooting/network/questionsone/99144.htm

Login information usually is "admin" as the user name and the router's serial number as the password, though it can also be either "password" or "password1"

There's a whole bunch of DNS servers listed here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1591
You can also try the Google Public DNS found here: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Now will Verizon ever update the DNS Server? Or will i have to change the settings to get back into the site from my home computer. I am just not to comfortable going into the internal set up of the network.

The Site is back up today for Verizon Customers. I just returned home and it works fine. Thanks for everyones help trying to resolve the issue.