Problems connecting XBox to LCD TV

xicedlovexoxo

Car(s)
2008 Subaru Impreza
I just recently got a Samsung Syncmaster 2333HD LCD TV/monitor for my birthday, and I love it to death.

While it works great with the 2 HDMI inputs and ability to hook up my PS3 and soon the XBox 360 I plan on getting, I can't for the life of me get my original XBox hooked up and displaying correctly. When I tried hooking it to the RGB/VGA whatever they're called things on the TV, the display made all the colors absolutely awful. It displayed everything on the original XBox in a grayish-green and it wasn't the same green that the XBox normally displays on its menu. I tried a game, and the color issues were the same.

So my question is, is there something wrong with my TV/XBox/cables, or do I need something else to connect the XBox to the TV with, like a pass-through converter or a new kind of cable? I really don't want to have to get any additional stuff to connect my XBox, but I'd really like to be able to use it again, even when I do get a 360 I plan on playing my old games on the console they were made for. :)

Any help is really very much appreciated!

Sounds like you have the cables plugged in wrong. Make sure you don't have the red audio cable and the red video cable switched.

Also watch out that you're not using the Component connections. Component = 3 video, 2 audio. Composite = 1 video, 2 audio. Xbox would be using Composite. Both types use RCA cables, just to confuse you.

So even if the colors match, check the labels and positions very carefully.

Now that I look more closely, it looks like I only have component, there is no composite. Is there any way I can get a component cable for my XBox, or do those even exist? If not...what do I do to connect my XBox?

Now that I look more closely, it looks like I only have component, there is no composite. Is there any way I can get a component cable for my XBox, or do those even exist? If not...what do I do to connect my XBox?
Look at GameStop or on eBay for used ones.

You should be able to connect your Xbox to a standard input, though. The ones that have the yellow/red/white inputs, not the blue/red/green/red/white inputs.

Never heard of a TV made in the last 20 years without composite input. Are you sure it's not on a side or front panel or something? Check the manual.

That's just it, I did check the manual and it only has the component input. I think, however, that the composite input is integrated into the component thing, because I was able to hook it up and get audio and video, the video was just crap.

My TV has the R and L jacks (red and white respectively), plus three others: Pr which is red, Pb which is blue, and Y which is green. There is no yellow. But I was able to plug in the red and white and put the yellow cable into the blue (if I remember correctly) input and get the crap video, whereas the other two gave me nothing.

I actually managed to find one on Ebay for about 6 dollars :) I just keep getting the suspicion I should already have one around somewhere, as didn't new Xboxes come with both types of cable? If so, I'd have to do some digging before I go getting a new cable...

That's just what happens when you have so much computer/electronic stuff in your house, it all gets lost and then you need it, and as soon as you buy a new one you find the old one and have to *facepalm* because you spent X amount of money on something you already had. >.<

I'd just hoped that I wouldn't need a new cable. I'm glad my TV came with the HDMI one, though, or I'd have been screwed with hooking up my PS3.

Surely a Composite > Scart adapter would be the way to go. I just bought a new Samsung LCD TV/monitor and it doesn't have composite either.

Well it turns out we did have a cable laying around that works, albeit its not a component one - its an RF pass-through converter box, so it hooks up using the antenna spot instead. All is well, anywho, and this means I could still theoretically hook up 2 more consoles to my TV without needing any other equipment but the right cables (one HDMI and one component cable) :mrgreen:

http://img196.imageshack.**/img196/4236/xbox20component20cable.jpg

Ninja edit: Yep I'm sure you know this already but if you could get your hands on one of these...

Last edited:
its an RF pass-through converter box, so it hooks up using the antenna spot instead.

In the immortal words of John Cleese: "I hate 'em! I hate 'em! Aaargh! Aaargh!"

Last time I used one of those was with my PS1.

thats odd, because according to the website description of the TV you got, you sohuld have a composite in. it might be hidden in the component input tough. I've seen TV's that have you use the green plug in component for the video signal from composite.
but if you have it working, then all is good.

Well, at first I thought it was in with the component plugs too, but when I tried it, like I said - the colors came out fucked. But the RF pass through box works just fine, so thanks guys for helping me figure out what was up, anyway :)

I guess there's no reason to pursue it now but that's an interesting point, could try plugging the yellow composite cable into one of the other component inputs.

I have a 2333HD as well, had to buy the COMPONENT output cables for my Xbox (Forza/Halo). The monitor has only HD capable inputs so to say. :)