Professional-chef knife sets?

avanti

Forum Addict
Car(s)
5 cars + 8 motorcycles
I am looking to buy a high quality (not made in china) knife set for my girlfriend, any recommendations?

Should be something like this, in a knife bag.

71LWljJQC6L._AA1500_.jpg

i think Saber F-11 would be perfect for your needs

The f-11 is made in Chna, is it not?

I don't see what's so bad about something made in China. Lenovo laptops and iPads are made there, but so are $1 cups. It's the quality control, not the location that matters.

Oh, I'm with you. However, it's harder to buy site-unseen, as consistancy can be hit-or-miss. China puts out some well-made stuff...but the number of lemons that slip through seems WAY too-high.

Techology items are one thing...guitars, cutlery, etc are something different that requires more of a human touch that just assembly.

My family's always used Zwilling J.A. Henckels knives, and we've never had any problems with them. Hold an edge quite nicely, too.

I have to say, though, when shopping for knives: look for ones with a full tang, like in the picture in the first post. Reduces the risk of the blade ever snapping off or falling out of the grip.

My parents have Cut Co. They bought them, like 20 years ago. They say they are great, and never need sharpening.

I'd be affrait what would happen if they used a knife that was ACTUALLY sharp after all of these years.

My parents have Cut Co. They bought them, like 20 years ago. They say they are great, and never need sharpening.

I'd be affrait what would happen if they used a knife that was ACTUALLY sharp after all of these years.

I had cut-co knives in my college house. Felt like cutting with plastic. We did find that they'd cut an airsoft BB in half though :lol:

My grandfather always said, that you only cut yourself with a dull knife :) And there's some truth to that :)

I've got a couple of Global knives, my father has a Zwilling. Both are nice pieces of equipment. I have worked with a couple of chefs who swore by Mac knives though :) I don't really have any recommendations regarding a full set like that - besides that fact that that amount of pro knives will set you back a small fortune, but I'm guessing you know that :p