Programming new key for 98 Taurus

That American Girl

Car(s)
None, right now. Bye Bye Mustang. :-(
Has anyone here ever programmed their own keys in a car? I lost the keys somehow to my Taurus..and the prices I'm getting quoted are anywhere from $225 all the way up to $300!

I know I can get a blank key online for less than $20, so...what is involved in programming a key for my car? Or is there anyplace that might do it cheaper in general?

Hate to tell you, but the 'home programming' mode for the Ford transponder key system requires you to have two working transponder keys in hand (that the computer already accepts) to tell the computer to authorize a third or subsequent key. Otherwise it's dealer work or a locksmith with the appropriate interface computer.

Last edited:
Hate to tell you, but the 'home programming' mode for the Ford transponder key system requires you to have two working transponder keys in hand (that the computer already accepts) to tell the computer to authorize a third or subsequent key. Otherwise it's dealer work or a locksmith with the appropriate interface computer.

Ah well. It was worth a try.

I was going to sell it to a buddy for parts..but not sure if I'm still going to do it. :)