Progress on my Top Gear coffee table

You mean the recessed cylinder deck?
No, I assume that's for cooling. But now that you mention it, why are they so recessed? Do those blocks get cylinder liners or something? I meant on the bottom of the block, the sides of the block (skirt) drop well below the crankshaft. That's got to be fun to seal.

The cylinder deck is recessed so that the tall head has stability and sufficient clamping force - remember, this is circa 1968 materials science here.

The long block skirt is to provide adequate material to put engine mounts and such on it. The V12 is a (relatively) short-stroke engine. Almost everything above the crank on the block sides is actually outer cylinder wall, basically. They made as narrow and light a cylinder block as they could, given the materials science of the day - keep in mind, this was one of the first all-aluminum engines ever placed in full production.

And yes, the V12 uses iron cylinder liners.

this looks much better than the GT table!

v8coffeetable.jpg

:shock: I love the wine bottles!!!

I want that, but with a V12.

Any pics of Jagauar V12 heads? They must look quite strange.

Any pics of Jagauar V12 heads? They must look quite strange.

Yes, they do - especially once you find out that the combustion cylinder is in the piston crown on the pre-HE engines. The old pre-HE heads are called flatheads (like the old Ford) for good reason:

photo7.gif

flat_head_cs.jpg

All of the V12 racers with only a couple of exceptions were running the pre-HE design heads and pistons. And yes, that's 2V/cyl SOHC.

Last edited:
While not nearly as cool, I have a four banger that I'm working on doing this to. I suppose it will be more of a bedside stand than a full table.

I have a Jaguar XK (4.2L I6) engine block that I was contemplating using as a table.

Only problem - the block is huge, made of iron, and weighs about 400lbs. Entirely aside from the whole pain of moving it, there's what it'll do to the floor wherever I put it in the apartment. :p

I would love to do this. I will have to start watching Craigslist for a blown engine block or something.

OP nice job and great choice on a big engine. I think I would gone fore a more polished look and paint maybe. I cant wait to see the final product.

I have a Jaguar XK (4.2L I6) engine block that I was contemplating using as a table.

Only problem - the block is huge, made of iron, and weighs about 400lbs. Entirely aside from the whole pain of moving it, there's what it'll do to the floor wherever I put it in the apartment. :p

Has anyone anywhere made an alloy-block straight six, or does the configuration inherently require an iron block?

EDIT: Wiki says the TVR Speed Six is all-alloy.

Last edited:
Has anyone anywhere made an alloy-block straight six, or does the configuration inherently require an iron block?

EDIT: Wiki says the TVR Speed Six is all-alloy.

Plenty of people running around with all aluminum straight six - several of the BMW sixes, the Jaguar AJ6/16/24 engines (2.9-4.0 I6 from 88-97 in the US), the GM Vortec 4200 engine (which was apparently designed by refugee Jaguar power unit engineers), the usual Nissan RB-series, most Supra engines, and I'm pretty sure there's a couple of Mercedes units running around, among others.

Spectre - put it on wheels?

That suggestion has merit, I may try the idea again with the thing on casters (wheels).

Last edited:
Plenty of people running around with all aluminum straight six - several of the BMW sixes, the Jaguar AJ6/16/24 engines (2.9-4.0 I6 from 88-97 in the US), the GM Vortec 4200 engine (which was apparently designed by refugee Jaguar power unit engineers), the usual Nissan RB-series, most Supra engines, and I'm pretty sure there's a couple of Mercedes units running around, among others.

Actually, a lot of those (RB, Toyota M and JZ, BMW M30) are iron blocked, sometimes with aluminum heads. I'm surprised that the Vortec six was aluminum-blocked though; you'd think in a truck setup, the extra strength of an iron block would be a must-have. Still, now I have extra options for making engine-block wine racks.

Japanese never made an aluminum straight-6, at least not in significant numbers.

There is a picture around somewhere of a complete Toyota 1g-gte (2.0l straight six twin turbo) used or a coffee table. It comes complete with turbo's and all.

^ The heads on RB's were aluminum, but I know for sure the Nissan RB series and the Toyota JZ series were cast iron.