Project Glass - Google AR Glasses

I remember reading about some guy who had similar type of tech on his body, it was very old and much less sophisticated than this but apparently they made him remove it for air travel and he was completely helpless because he was so used to all the extraneous data he got through his various gadgets. AR is a cool concept but it is worrying what happens when you become so reliant on tech for daily lives, we already have people driving into lakes like idiots because GPS told them to...

Well its not just AR. Imagine a day where you lost your phone and Internet. I'm sure we would feel like that guy. We rely on tech even today so I don't really mind. Bring it on Google Glasses.

A video of some apparently unemployed douchebag isn't going to swing it for me.

Just more shit to recharge.

The video just presents a concept. But how does it work? Transparent screen? Projection directly on the retina? How does it take eyeball movement and crystalline lens focusing into an account? Give me details!

Most importantly for me, with all this extra shit built in to the glasses, am I still going to be able to use them to, y'know... see shit?

Also someone needs to work on and re-develop the charging technology some watches used about 10 years ago, where the swinging motion is used to generate electricity. It could certainly work for this kind of thing if compacted enough and would finally bring an advantage to having one leg shorter than the other...

Well its not just AR. Imagine a day where you lost your phone and Internet. I'm sure we would feel like that guy. We rely on tech even today so I don't really mind. Bring it on Google Glasses.

I've been there it's called vacation in a country where my phone doesn't work and hotel only has internet in the lobby (so w/o internet most of the time) it's annoying but not exactly life altering, the case I'm talking about the guy had to be wheeled onto the plane in a wheelchair because he was completely disoriented.

Like I said my concern is over reliance on things like that, if you remember in the demo it gives him walking directions to the Strand book store (which is really not that far from him and you would assume he knows where it's at) and then directions to go like 20 feet in the store itself... You can see that his not even bothering to use his own brain to figure out such simple tasks.

Well, people are stupid.

The video only represents the concept, and I'm quite interested. I don't care about the specific uses shown in the video, but the idea as such is pretty cool. Whether it'll actually work in reality, that's another issue.

I'm mostly interested in how they're doing the interaction. I'm sort of expecting it to make you look like a complete tool using it :p

It's an interesting concept but it doesn't seem like the actual tech needed for it to work the way it was shown is there.

That's my thinking too. Unless they've worked out how to do mind-control, I can't see this being much more than a gadget that fun to play around with, but not something you'd really want to use on a daily basis.

I'd gladly be proven wrong though. Show me what you've got Google ;)

That's my thinking too. Unless they've worked out how to do mind-control, I can't see this being much more than a gadget that fun to play around with, but not something you'd really want to use on a daily basis.

I'd gladly be proven wrong though. Show me what you've got Google ;)

Careful now, Google is already on track to becoming Skynet. :p

It's very difficult to look at something in the corner of your vision, unless the overlay doesn't move with your eyes, but that would be rather awkward.

Nappa, what's his power level?

A video of some apparently unemployed douchebag isn't going to swing it for me.

win.

I would never wear anything like that, AR in car sure but all the time, fuck no.

Bring it on. Augmented reality is the next step in the desktop->laptop->smartphone/tablet chain. If they manage to make it not look completely dorky and have decent battery life, I'll wear it a lot... Maybe I'm biased since I currently attend the Virtual and Augmented Reality lecture in the uni, but I want to write software for this thing.