PS3 Thread

Devon

Car(s)
2008 MY09 Subaru Impreza RX
So the PS3 has been out in Japan and North America for almost a couple of months now, does anyone have one and what are your thoughts?

Of course the PS3 doesn't get released in Australia and Europe until March 2007 :( And us Australian's have to pay AU$200 more then the rest of the world :mad:

As I am considering getting one please post your opinions...

And us Australian's have to pay AU$200 more then the rest of the world :mad:

That makes no sense...Sony could probably throw them at you from Japan, it is closer to you then America, unless it is because Sony does not have a factory in Australia.

if you really really want it, just wait for a price drop. Its ridiculously expensive at the moment and doesnt really have any game worth buying the system for.

^ Yeah, it'll all change, but currently the newest 360 games look just as good!

In my area, there's far more demand for the Wii than the PS3. Most people aren't willing to dish out $650 for a console.

That is apparently true through out most of the US.

http://ps3.qj.net said:
Jason McMaster has a report up over at GigaGamez saying that people are trading in their Sony PS3's for Nintendo Wiis. Even they were a bit skeptical at first when Tony Conrad, CEO and Founder of Sphere first pointed it out to them, but they started to believe the claim a bit when they did a little research through craigslist.org.

They decided to look up some of the hottest cities on craiglist: Austin, New York, and San Francisco. In Austin six people wanted to trade in their PS3s. In New York 18 people wanted to trade-in their big black box. In San Francisco, 48 different people want to trade in their PS3s for a Wii. This despite the price difference between the two.

McMaster spends some time speculating why people are willing to trade in at a loss. He wonders whether or not this has to do with with the fact that while most of the people who camped out for a Nintendo Wii did so for maybe four hours, PS3 lines were plagued with greedy eBayers and shootings.

McMaster has a few other theories but the scenario that he paints that we think is most reasonable is the eBay scenario. Here's his words:

Another scenario could be that they?re trading the PS3s, which are dropping in price on eBay, for the Wii to try and flip it right before the holidays. This theory is given credit by a few traders looking for two Wiis for a 60 GB PS3. That would definitely be a profit gain situation.

Can't get a PS3 and you really want one? Buy two Wiis. Can't get a Wii but you managed to snag a big black box through eBay? Trade it in and get two. To each his own.

There's a few reason's why Wii's are outselling PS3's right now:

1. Wii's are aimed at the casual gamer (Wii Sports) with a bit for the hardcore as well (Zelda) which means that more people want the Wii. Whereas the PS3 is mainly for playstation fanboys and hardcore gamers.

2. Stigma. Wii's are seen as a revolution in gaming with it's newfangled controller while the PS3 is seen as just a glorified PS2. While the PS3 is much more than a glorified PS2, younger gamers can't grasp that concept and would much rather have a Wii, just cuz "it's cool".

3. The Wii just seems like a cool gift to buy someone because of the large demographic that it's aiming for. Need a gift for your grandparent/relative/spouse/illegitimate lovechild? Get a Wii, after all, isn't that wut everyone else is getting their grandparents/relatives/spouses/illegitimate lovechilds?

4. Lack of quality titles. The amount of quality titles for the PS3 rite now is sorely lacking. But all the smart people/PS3 fanboys know that the best time to buy it is when most of the hot titles are out and after the first major price drop. Why buy one now when there's nothing to play when you can get it for possibly $100 less and be able to play GT5, DMC, MGS, FFXIII, Heavenly Sword, WarHawk, Motorstorm and etc, etc.?

The PS3 will eventually be the king of consoles again, just give it time.

My brother works for a large game maker (I'm sure you all have at least a few games from them ;) ) and he says the PS3 they have breaks just about everyday. Just FYI:whistle:

I've just been having a think about the price of both the 360 and PS3 and this is what I've discovered.

The Xbox 360 launch costs - US$299 Core System, US$399 Premium Edition.

The PS3 launch costs - US$499 "20GB" System, US$599 "60GB" System

Now the PS3 already comes with the Blu-Ray capabilities built in, however for the 360 you need to purchase the HD DvD Drive seperately for US$200.

So when you include the HD DvD drive to the 360 the price is exactly the same as the PS3...

Now the PS3 already comes with the Blu-Ray capabilities built in, however for the 360 you need to purchase the HD DvD Drive seperately for US$200.

So when you include the HD DvD drive to the 360 the price is exactly the same as the PS3...

You don't need to purchase the HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360 in order to play games. It's optional, thus reducing the cost. With the PS3, you're forced to adopt the new Blu-Ray technology because Sony uses the format for movies and games. It is not optional, thus inflating the cost.

You don't need to purchase the HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360 in order to play games. It's optional, thus reducing the cost. With the PS3, you're forced to adopt the new Blu-Ray technology because Sony uses the format for movies and games. It is not optional, thus inflating the cost.

I suppose, I just thought most people would want to have HD-DVD/Blu-Ray capabilities with their console. I suspect it would help save a few $$ instead of buying a seperate HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player as well as a 360 or PS3.

Looks like nobody has a PS3 yet...except hype, who is probably to busy playing the GT:HD demo. :)

I suppose, I just thought most people would want to have HD-DVD/Blu-Ray capabilities with their console. I suspect it would help save a few $$ instead of buying a seperate HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player as well as a 360 or PS3.

Looks like nobody has a PS3 yet...except hype, who is probably to busy playing the GT:HD demo. :)

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are pointless. When was the last time you said "wow I wish that DVD was in Hires? (and if you did well...I think your insane)"

And for storage, the only games that need more than 9 gb are the ones made by the lazy Japenese Developers that use CG as their cinimatics rather than in game assets. If Gears of War fits then everything should.

A game on XBLA uses Unreal Engine 3 and fits in a 50MB download.

Well, High Def movies are fucking great if you ask me. Just watched Superman returns in 80% DVD quality an hour ago, and yesterday Transporter 2 in High Def. HD is the way to go!

And for storage, the only games that need more than 9 gb are the ones made by the lazy Japenese Developers that use CG as their cinimatics rather than in game assets. If Gears of War fits then everything should.

I'm sure people said the same when they went from Floppy to CD and then CD to DVD.

Seriously though, for Resistance an interview on 1up, the head guy at Insomniac Games even said they could have easily put it on a DVD disc but b/c of the extra space they just didn't have too.

CG takes up loads of space compared to cinimatics running on in-game engine. Personally I like the ingame better anyways.

Look Kojima doesn't even care about the extra space.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/kojima/kojima-doesnt-care-about-hd-interested-in-wii-225925.php

Seriously though, for Resistance an interview on 1up, the head guy at Insomniac Games even said they could have easily put it on a DVD disc but b/c of the extra space they just didn't have too.

CG takes up loads of space compared to cinimatics running on in-game engine. Personally I like the ingame better anyways.

Look Kojima doesn't even care about the extra space.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/kojima/kojima-doesnt-care-about-hd-interested-in-wii-225925.php

It's called progress mate. People could still live with Tape Walkmans but they have progressed on and on.

What I am saying is that games do not need to be over the 9GB. Compression is new technology and can be used fairly easily. For HD movies it is different b/c the format is already compressed. For games you can compress practically everything and still get the exact same experiance

What I am saying is that games do not need to be over the 9GB. Compression is new technology and can be used fairly easily. For HD movies it is different b/c the format is already compressed. For games you can compress practically everything and still get the exact same experiance

Yes but as graphics, sound and the complexity of games increase, more space will be needed so there is a point where 9GB is simply not enough for a front running game.