PSA: Dog/Cat Owners

thescreensavers

Car(s)
'13 Subaru WRX
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Click on Review and put the Brand name in and look for your food. If they dont have your food listed, take a look at the different foods from your brand. If they are all rated poorly, then you can guess yours is too.

Cats and Dogs site http://www.petfoodratings.net/

If your food is not on either websites google around there should be a review on your food if not the brand

Just found out that my dogs food is a 2/6 star rated food. I am going to change her food to Wellness Core Ocean

People compare the poorly rated food to a fast food diet, your pets might eat it but its not healthy.

Check it out, Its amazing how I thought the what were good brands are actually the worst.

Edit: Found another site cats and dogs http://hubpages.com/hub/Pet_Food_Ratings

Last edited:
Bah. My family had a cat that lived 18 years. She was always fed the cheapest stuff at the store.

Remember to help control the pet population, have your pet spayed or neutered.

bob-barker.jpg

Bah. My family had a cat that lived 18 years. She was always fed the cheapest stuff at the store.

It might of been ok food,or that car has good genes but Cheap or expensive does not tell you if the food is good.

Recently some of that stuff was found to contain rat poison - remember, the epidemic of pet deaths was all over the news?

My cat's been with me through tough times and good times, in more than one country. He's been with me for 13 years and still running strong. His diet's changed from cooked meats, to rice, to canned food, to dry food, and a whole host of stuff in between. He's, thankfully, in great health, and I'm not the type of person that's like an overprotective parent who will over analyze everything that may or may not possibly go wrong with him. I understand it's wise to be informed, but I don't get too much into the details about these things.

That's just me, though.

We give our dog Evo, which is rated at 5 stars, but the cats have been getting Purina One, which is rated at one star. They won't be getting it any longer.

I feed my dog blue wilderness chicken. It's a bit expensive at $50 per 24 pound bag, but he is a chihuahua and thus doesn't eat much per day.

pPETS-7262801t400.jpg

You know, I've always been suspicious when a pet food company says that their food "tastes better than ever!" or some such feldercarb. I mean, how do they know?

My cat has done really, really well on the variety of better quality foods I feed him versus how he came to me. His fur is SO much thicker and stronger. I've taken a slightly new point of view and offer a mix of constantly changing foods. That way if I ever need to change one of his foods for some reason (it goes unavailable, is recalled, medical needs, etc) he's easy to adjust. Right now he's eating Chicken Soup, Felidae grain free chicken, and California Natural. I also feed both kinds of Solid Gold, EVO, Nature's Prairie, and I can't even remember what all else. I check all labels and expect at least the first 2 ingredients to be meat meals or meat, preferably the first three. I don't want to see any corn if I can avoid it. I don't know about you guys, but I find he eats quite a bit less of the better quality foods and maintains weight nicely. So while it costs more, I buy less.

The difference in his physical makeup is what really sells me on this stuff. The one thing I don't like is when people say that you HAVE to feed the most expensive thing on the shelf. Not only are some foods really, really overpriced (I'm looking at you Wellness), but it just isn't always possible. You feed yourself the best food you can afford. Shouldn't you do the same for your pet? Don't bankrupt yourself, but read some labels and make an informed choice.

My wee beastie lives on a diet of wet Fancy Feast and dry Meow Mix (because she'd eat us out of house and home if she lived solely on the Fancy Feast stuff). I am perfectly aware that these aren't the best foods I could be feeding her, but here's the thing: they're the only ones she'll eat. If it isn't fish-flavored, she doesn't want it. If it isn't canned, she'll eat it only under protest.

Her coat is thick, soft, and shiny; she has boundless energy; and she's always checked out healthy at the vet. I figure it's better to feed her the stuff she'll actually eat than keep her on the brink of starvation by giving her stuff she'll only eat if she's, well, on the brink of starvation.

Back in India we get meat straight from the meat vendor (note for other Indians this would be said as "Meatvaalaa" :p) for the cats there. And of course milk.

The dog also gets meat, and home-cooked tomatoes and veggies along with a little tiny bit of dog food brought from here (forget the brand, but it's very little).

We'll be going to India in the end of August so I think I'll have to use this guide to get the best food for our doggeh and kittehs there.

My wee beastie lives on a diet of wet Fancy Feast and dry Meow Mix (because she'd eat us out of house and home if she lived solely on the Fancy Feast stuff). I am perfectly aware that these aren't the best foods I could be feeding her, but here's the thing: they're the only ones she'll eat. If it isn't fish-flavored, she doesn't want it. If it isn't canned, she'll eat it only under protest.

Her coat is thick, soft, and shiny; she has boundless energy; and she's always checked out healthy at the vet. I figure it's better to feed her the stuff she'll actually eat than keep her on the brink of starvation by giving her stuff she'll only eat if she's, well, on the brink of starvation.

I have read there has been links to kidney failure and meow mix, I would find better food that she will eat, there are tons of good brands that have fish flavored food.

We give our dog Evo, which is rated at 5 stars, but the cats have been getting Purina One, which is rated at one star. They won't be getting it any longer.

We were actually out of cat food and as of today they are eating Blue Buffalo Indoor formula, and it really is in a completely different world than the Purina One they were on. Costs about the same, too.

I have read there has been links to kidney failure and meow mix, I would find better food that she will eat, there are tons of good brands that have fish flavored food.

Having lost a three-month-old kitten to kidney failure--he had a congenital kidney malformation; there was nothing we could have done to prevent it--I take this warning very seriously and shall immediately find something else for my cat. Thank you.

Back in India we get meat straight from the meat vendor (note for other Indians this would be said as "Meatvaalaa" :p) for the cats there. And of course milk.

The dog also gets meat, and home-cooked tomatoes and veggies along with a little tiny bit of dog food brought from here (forget the brand, but it's very little).

We'll be going to India in the end of August so I think I'll have to use this guide to get the best food for our doggeh and kittehs there.

Why bother schlepping it? There's no pet food on the market that comes close to comparing with fresh, raw meat! The only thing is for the cats you have to be sure to include organ meat, especially the eyes/brain/CNS if they don't hunt so they get enough taurine.

Having lost a three-month-old kitten to kidney failure--he had a congenital kidney malformation; there was nothing we could have done to prevent it--I take this warning very seriously and shall immediately find something else for my cat. Thank you.

There are a lot of techniques for encouraging a cat to try a new food. Most people recommend mixing tiny amounts of the new stuff in with the old and slowly increasing over a period of weeks. Since she likes wet you can use that to bribe her too, mix the kibble in with the wet. There are some flavors of Fancy Feast that really aren't that bad at all. You have to compare the labels of course but many of them are almost entirely fish. Some of them are waaaaaay sketchy though.

There are some flavors of Fancy Feast that really aren't that bad at all. You have to compare the labels of course but many of them are almost entirely fish.

Just for grins, I am holding two cans of fish-flavored Fancy Feast to see what's what, because you inspired me to. :D

For the record, I absolutely hate fish. I like them to swim with, I like them to observe, but I want no part of eating them. Based on the ghastly smell of this, my beloved cat's most favorite food, I figured the top ingredients of both would be fish. I was right.

So here, for you cat people who might be wondering, is a very basic breakdown of the stuff that makes my cat salivate and me retch every. single. time. I feed her, in order as it appears in the list of ingredients:

COD, SOLE, & SHRIMP FEAST--my least favorite, 'cuz WOW does it stink

Cod, liver, meat by-products (*shudder*), fish & fish broth, sole, shrimp, artificial flavors and colors--why do you need to add artificial flavors to something that tastes so strong already?--a whole slew of minerals, salt, some vitamins, some more minerals, and some more vitamins

SAVORY SALMON FEAST--my favorite, because it's the least of the olfactory offenses available here

Salmon, liver, meat by-products (again), fish & fish broth, turkey--wait, what?--artificial flavors and colors (again, why?), and the minerals, salt, vitamins, minerals, vitamins routine as stated above

So I guess that's not so bad, huh? Except for the smell, which--and I cannot emphasize this enough--is just rude?