• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

PSP release date is...

PSP release date is...

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not sure yet

• PS-What?

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I can't believe that is fun to play, you're bouncing against the screen with your face to see something, no good sound...

Edit: I thought PSP had something to do with the new site layout :cry:

Too expensive for what is pointless extra technology over a game boy.

its out in HK already, been out since x;mas and there are price wars already. its like 3300 for the psp set with 1 game. some asshole from where i bought my pstwo from paid 4300 for his psp, no game. when it came out on the 1st day. in JP where my cousin works there were mile long queues to buy it at a discounted price of around 2K HKD. i played ridge racer on it, not that fun since its only a A B button game and no throttle control. moreover that game is boring shit u slide every time u turn

I voted yes, GT4 is one of the games that are going to be out for this platform. I'll try to mimic everything I'm doing in the game while I'm driving IRL ;) :lol:

:driving:

:lol: ... love that smiley... and its out in parts of asia already... but Handheld games never appealed to me... even when the Game Boy first came out... I was never interested to buy one

i mean the scren is wide but not tall enoguh. like i said i played ridge racer on it and it was kinda squished

Daniel said:
^Hey, I heard that u could watch movies on it, May I ask how?

Copy them to a memory stick, and play them off the memory stick. I have a friend who wants one, since for the job he is getting he will be on a plane more than in the office, and he has been "researching" them.

I'm not gonna get one, simply because I'm not into portable gaming, it just doesn't appeal to me. I had an n-gage and sold it to my bro as I only really used it for music :/

Currently Listening to: The Last Song - Poison - Best Of Ballads & Blues (2003)

hokiethang said:
Daniel said:

Copy them to a memory stick, and play them off the memory stick. I have a friend who wants one, since for the job he is getting he will be on a plane more than in the office, and he has been "researching" them.

I thought they were going to use those UMDs (Universal Media Discs), the same one's they use for the games. They can hold like 1.2 gigs <not sure about that figure. :)

Cruzz563 said:
hokiethang said:
Daniel said:

I thought they were going to use those UMDs (Universal Media Discs), the same one's they use for the games. They can hold like 1.2 gigs <not sure about that figure. :)

Its quite possible, but i'm not sure how you would get music on to the disc (unless sony forces you to buy their music on their UMD discs, which is possible as well). The guy I know sometimes embellishes things, so I don't know.

yeah it plays vid's but then u got to worry bout the battery so that sucks. i mean its not a bad price in HK for a complete media center + ps2 but then games costs alot and so do the other applications. so in result i would not get one unless there are pirated games! horah!

i mean its a good widescreen display but it gets damaged easily. its rahter big and wont fit in ur pocket un less u at 40" wasit.

hokiethang said:
Cruzz563 said:
hokiethang said:
Daniel said:

Its quite possible, but i'm not sure how you would get music on to the disc (unless sony forces you to buy their music on their UMD discs, which is possible as well). The guy I know sometimes embellishes things, so I don't know.
You can transfer video files to a memory stick and play them that way, but Sony really wants to get movies released on their UMD discs. They haven't got much response from the major movie studios yet, but I'm sure they will "convince" (persuade with large sums of mony) some studios to release movies. They had to do the same thing the first time they tried to release MiniDisc players. They released CDs from their own music labels on the MiniDisc format, and also strong-armed some other studios into releasing albums. I'm sure you can figure out how well that worked, since I'd assume the majority of you don't even know or remember retail studio-recorded albums in the MiniDisc format.

What I will assume will happen will be similar to MiniDiscs: they will release a lot of movies in the UMD format, but will soon find that people aren't willing to spend money on UMD format movies that they will also want to own on DVD. Sooner or later they will give up. They will reach a pivotal point where they will have to decide to go the route of the MiniDisc - release re-writable capable UMD discs that people can use to copy DVD movies from their home computers on to UMD discs (identical to what they've done with MiniDiscs), or just give up on UMD format movies alltogether. This is all speculation, but with the way Sony works, things are very cyclical.

I will definetly be getting a PSP, but I will probably end up waiting quite a while before I get one. I waited until this summer to buy a GameBoy Advance SP and bought it as soon as it was under $150 Canadian (I waited roughly 3 years from the release of the original GBA). I'll probably do the same with the PSP. I can't really justify spending more than $150 Canadian on a handheld gaming device, but I still really want to get one. I probably won't wait as long as I did for the GBA SP, but I will get one eventually.

Yes, I am a massive video game geek, and yes, I spend way too much time reading and thinking about video games...

no way, way too expensive, not pocket size, and I always hated those portable devices

Renesis said:
no way, way too expensive, not pocket size, and I always hated those portable devices
... Says the guy with the iPod. :lol:

I'm really looking forward to the PSP launch in North America. Not because I want to get one - as I said before I'm going to wait until it is in the $150 Canadian range - but just to see how Sony manages the launch. If Sony wants to survive, let alone win, the handheld market I think they are going to have to market the PSP purely as a gadget - not as a device for dedicated video game players and not for people looking for just a portable media player. They are basically going to have to create another iPod: a device that practically everyone wants no matter what their age or intended use of the product is - the next big gadget. They could closley follow what Apple did and market it as a fashion accessory, or they could go the techy route and try to market it as a must have all-in-one device. Either way, they can't market it purely as a gaming machine like Nintendo does with their handhelds.

jasonchiu said:
whats the battery life one that thing like 3 hours?
Funny that you would ask that, I just finished reading an article on IGN about the PSP's battery life. :D

Here is a summary of what they found. They are all real world tests done with an Asian launch day PSP:

Hard Performance Test: 3 hours, 32 minutes
Heavy UMD Access Gameplay Test: 5 hours, 9 minutes
Sleep Mode Test: Negligible Battery Impact Over 24 hours
WiFi Multiplayer Test: 2 hours, 46 minutes
MP3 Playback Test: 10 hours, 39 minutes

If you want more information on what exactly they were doing in each test, check out the article here: http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html.