• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

QPEL - why??

rodzyneck

Hello!

I've downloaded TG [7x03] and I've noticed that it's coded in QPEL, which cant be played by my dvd/divx player... Why have you changed codecs? Could you come back to these which dont need QPEL to play the video? If not, why?

QP-what?

They're still XviD, just like last season, but they are done with a new version or something (I don't know the exact details), but it allows the encode time to be far less.

It won't play on my DivX player either: "Unsuppoted Codec: QPEL" :cry: :cry: :cry:

rodzyneck - What rip did you download. The 350mb version posted on the sites main page or a 700mb rip from somewhere else??

QPEL what?? Isn't that some DVD codec or something? Anyway, download and use VLC Media Player for this file....that might work.

Pointing Vuk to this thread.

And this new encoding way takes him 45 min for FG and an hour for TG rather than a couple hours (2 or 3).

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
QPEL what?? Isn't that some DVD codec or something? Anyway, download and use VLC Media Player for this file....that might work.

I couldn't get the 350 MB VUK rip to play on my DVD/DivX player, but the older rips and the 700 MB ones play fine. I think rodzyneck is talking about a DVD/DivX player too.

If VUK wants to use this new thing since it saves time, that's ok, but I'll probably download the 700 MB versions since I prefer to watch them on my external DivX player and I just bought it for this purpose ;)

Many new dvd players support divx and xvid. Some portable hdd's with sound and video connections do as well. QPEL and GMC are extensions to the video codecs that are unsupported by most hardware decoders. They can make a small improvement for those watching on the computer.

It is possible to convert the files to be playable on these devices. I'm sure there's a better way than the program I use, which came with the hdd media player I have. The results aren't always satisfactory and it installs a bunch of software to be able to convert. My conversion of Top Gear 7x03 was out of sync.

I've always really liked VUK's rips and appreciate the effort he makes. But I think for the effort of watching it on the TV and sound system I'll get the 700mb version.

Hmmmmm, I can turn off QPEL to see if that makes a difference, if not then we will go back to old xvid

Yes, I have the same problem as jeffy777, external dvd/divx player and it just doesn't want to play it because of the same reason :)

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!!: I have VUK's rip.

VUK, thanx :)

VUK said:
Hmmmmm, I can turn off QPEL to see if that makes a difference, if not then we will go back to old xvid

Thanks VUK :)

I have been reading up on QPEL and it seems that adding it takes away Standalone MPEG4 player compatibility. So I think that's the only thing keeping the file from working on our external DivX players.

ditto

ditto

My Divx/DVDplayer also does not support Qpell.

It doesnt bother me that i cant watch them on Divx/DVDplayer but my dad who loves to watch Top Gear was disapointed.

Whatever you guys end up doing i wont complain. I'll find a way for him to watch it.

*************** VUK **************

PLEASE ** D I S A B L E ***** QPEL encoding, Apparently QPEL is enabled by default in the newer XVID codecs for encoding. Please use your older XVID encoder or disable QPEL!

PLEASE TURN THAT OFF as I can no longer play your excellent files on my hard disk DivX XVid player - as everyone else has said above me.

VUK, any reason why you cant use DivX as its way more stable for the hardware players - XVID is a moving target - in my opinion XVID blows chunks.

I am sure we can all contribute money to help you buy the commercial DivX codec encoder!

Another hint for Divx Box comatability: in the XviD encoding options set the FOURCC to DX50 and the maximum number of consecutive B-Frames from 2 to 1. Now the files should work on just about anything that has Divx written on it.

JB said:
Another hint for Divx Box comatability: in the XviD encoding options set the FOURCC to DX50 and the maximum number of consecutive B-Frames from 2 to 1. Now the files should work on just about anything that has Divx written on it.

VUK please try what he suggests with the next episode, Can you re-encode the Bugatti episode as I think it needs the changes JB suggests. Its the one episode I was waiting for and now I need to re-encode it for my hardware platform which sucks!

I still had a few problems after VUK disabled QPEL, JB your suggested changes may have do the trick - as my hardware player (a Media Gate MG-35) is playing the recent episode with audio sync issues.

VUK, please, please BASELINE your encoding method/settings as it was rock solid until you changed the qpel settings recently. All of 2005 series 1 worked absolutely perfectly!

If you can write down exactly how you encode each show then you will be able to reproduce encodings perfectly.

I think we should have a few people who have hardware players ( I will be one of them ) who you can send a small sample file to check for encoding issues when you upgrade to newer XVIDs.

Just a 3 minute sequence should be fine I think.

Do others want to put forward their players to check when VUK upgrades his XVID encoding methods in the future?

I'd far prefer it if you went DivX as its much more portable across non-PC platforms.

just dl the 700mb version...

the scene will hopefully stick to non qpel releases as there is no standalone i know of that plays them (maybe a kiss??? but the one I have in mind was around 300 euros...)

No need to try different encodings, qpel is the killer. Plus there are tons of sites that state which player can do what.

Oh, and GMC is also bad...

@TVR Freak: Xvid has superiour quality over Divx, thats the reason the scene uses it as well...

I don't think the settings I suggested would help with A/V synch issues. They are more for cases of stuttering or not playing at all. I guess you'll have to experiment yourself to find out what your player isn't liking.

Shame these sort of problems occur, I think the XviD default settings should try to be as Divx compilant as possible which they are not. Newer versions even have a predefined Divx profile but with settings that still won't work on a lot of Divx boxes.

JB said:
I don't think the settings I suggested would help with A/V synch issues. They are more for cases of stuttering or not playing at all. I guess you'll have to experiment yourself to find out what your player isn't liking.

Shame these sort of problems occur, I think the XviD default settings should try to be as Divx compilant as possible which they are not. Newer versions even have a predefined Divx profile but with settings that still won't work on a lot of Divx boxes.

If I enocde XviD with AutoGK then it plays fine on my Philips DivX player: No QPEL, No GMC, no weird Quant types, etc.