• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Question for Files/folders sharing in WINXP PRO

AxlxA

Is there a way to set it so it asks for login/password everytime someone try to access a shared folder on the network?

Currently, the set up is using "simple file sharing" and it allows access to EVERYONE on the network. I tried doing the non-simple version and set up users but it didn't work. It kept saying "access denied, contact server admin"

disable the guest account, and create an account for each user you want to allow access to

you must give the user you created rights on the shared folder for it to work. did you do that? ->i mean both File-sharing rights and NTFS rights.

He's talking about network. I remember that in W98 you could set up 2 passwords, one to read, and the other to write. That was awesome, and an added security when you forget to turn your sharings off when at university.

bihus said:
He's talking about network. I remember that in W98 you could set up 2 passwords, one to read, and the other to write. That was awesome, and an added security when you forget to turn your sharings off when at university.
network: i know, thats what im talking about.
But why do you refer to Windows 98 (in connection with 'network')? The networking part of Windows 2000 and Windows XP are WAAY better than in Windows 98...

bigfoot1942 said:
bihus said:
network: i know, thats what im talking about.
But why do you refer to Windows 98 (in connection with 'network')? The networking part of Windows 2000 and Windows XP are WAAY better than in Windows 98...

Because you can't share your files with someone and allow others to change it. Or can you?

yes you can, but unless you're workng with active directory it's a pita to configure