Question for the students in Leuven

freerider

There are a couple of people here who study in Leuven and have a student room there. I have a question for those people.

I'm doing my internship (stage) in Leuven (KBC) and I need a room there. Now the problem is that I only need it for 3 months. From april to june. Is this possible and where can I look for this? It's also necessary that I have an internet connection (maybe I can get a "kotnet" account if there's a modem).

Tia Johan

well Johan

in Leuven, there are more student rooms than students this year. So probably it's not too hard to find a room. So maybe you can get a room for just three months, I don't know. Of course all the good rooms are probably gone :)

You can only go on kotnet with a id from the university. Last year you could log in with a username twice, but this year no username can log in twice...
BUT of course you can enrole yourself for one course or so as a 'free student', that's about 25 euros per 'studiepunt' I believe :). That way you get a students card (for the Alma) and a user-id...

Kotnet is NOT the place to download :) No bittorrent or filesharing, only FTP and Mirc...3.3 mbit only.

If you have got more questions, just ask.

Jup, already knew about the amount of rooms was exceeding the amount of students. Pretty weird if you look at the past few years. And about kotnet, I did know you needed an account which you only get at the KUL, but didn't know about the login used only once now (last year this wasn't). But I will need internet, and I'm not planning to get an account for a year for this. Are there rooms with an inet connection that you know of?
Are there any sites that offer rooms (they have this in West-Vlaanderen)? Maybe you know someone who under-rents (sp?) his room during this time?

And I don't need the best room for just 3 months. Not too picky about this.

Anyway thanks for the answers so far.

Most I already know, bc, my family lives in Leuven (I'm not a stranger there) and I had a gf who studies there, but it's always better to have more (inside) information.

Greetz Johan

Edit: forgot: thanks for the tip for getting the student card for the alma, could get in handy. Is the food good there, or do you really get what you pay for?
And about the downloading; that doesn't really matter to me. If I really need something I'll get it. I made it work a year ago too with tunneling. Otherwise I'll download it from a friend who has no data-limit.

http://cwisdb.cc.kuleuven.ac.be/pls/kamers/hvzoek.hvstart
KUL site to find rooms. (213 free rooms, official KUL rooms/studios not included)

http://ludit.kuleuven.be/internet/
You can also get a user-id for kotnet from Group T, KHL,... (the other schools in Leuven associated with the university)
You can get kotnet in every room in Leuven. There are two types of connection:
* Kotnet enkel = ? 199,- / academiejaar (01/10/2005 - 30/09/2006) / 512 kbps Down / 100 kbps Up
* Kotnet collectief = ? 299,- / academiejaar (01/10/2005 - 30/09/2006) / 3 Mbps Down / 384 kbps Up
I don't know anyone who uses the individual connection, we use the collective connection with 10 people = 30euro/year

Alma: I love the Alma. Prices are really low and there's always something good. And you can also get een broodje if you don't like the hot meals. Some people complain about the Alma, but to them I say: go and **** yourself. If you don't like it, don't go.

Hey Jensked,

I'm looking now for a student room. As I thought, 99% of the rooms only have kotnet. So to get Internet I have to get my own login-number by entering a course at one of the schools you mentioned? Is there any other way to get internet?

Greetz Johan

Well you can always go for a normal adsl line...but that way you would have to pay for everything yourself...

Or you can look for someone with a login, but who doesn't have a computer on his room so who doesn't need it...double logins are impossible. Before you ask, no, I don't know anyone with a login that doesn't use it :)...