Question on Programming Languages

I started with java, but these days I only do web based coding (php/mySQL, javascript, ajax, etc)

Uhhhhmmmm, in my book Java is a C-like language. You could take a C program and with minor adjustments copy it inside a main method and run as a Java program.
I recommend Java mainly because it encourages using objects more. The objects are there right from the start and I think in general classes are easier to use in Java. Before you get the hang of C++, working with classes in it might seem hard and that encourages not using them.

Of course you can write the whole app in the main-method or something equally dumb in Java.

But atleast it doesn't allow you to do almost anything without restrictions like you can do in C++.

Java's not a bad language to learn on, (nor is C# because it's practically the same and Visual Studio is hands down the best IDE)

lol, the last few years I appear to have taken the retro path.
VB6 -> C++ -> Java -> VB.net -> COOL:gen (aka Allfusion gen, Advantage gen) -> Cobol -> JCL

I must admit - I was ecstatic when I first learned about try/catch. There are so many ways to use that wrongly.

so true

-"hmm, i'm getting an error".."oh well, put it in a try-block, error solved" :lol: