Questions about 240sx

E34lover

Car(s)
Nothing right now
Ok as some of you might know from my other posts I'm looking for my first car. I've looked at Miata, 300zx, 280z, legacy gt, 540i, 325i, Camero, mustang, mr2, supra, and rx-7. I have found out of all that my best bet was a Miata. Well my parents disagree and them having the monies for my spend'n I have looked else where. I used to live in Houston, Texas so I tried looking at cars there. I've found a 1998 240sx LE with 70,000 miles on it that hasn't been molested from the original owner for 7,990 dollars. I'm thinking that maybe I can hassle the price to about 6k but before I even attempt it I need some help. Is there any 240sx guys here because I need to know if this car can be tuned. By that I mean can it be "turboed" without an engine swap, can it be chipped, and stuff like that.

btw: sorry I don't mean to make tons of threads on here I'm just trying hard to find something good. Also thanks for all you guy's help.

Houston... 240... http://www.houston240sx.com/
I have several friends on there. But know this, they are mad tyte drifter types. The very people that create the Drift Tax. And yes, there are tons of boost options. Though, I know lots of people love the 240s, but I have yet to meet a person whose 240 isnt just a total pain in the ass. Perhaps some people on here will prove me wrong.

While I know you seem to be looking at RWD cars, perhaps a Integra type-r would be a good option, again assuming you can find a clean example and can pay the insurance.

A few things to think of, a 1998 is OBD-II so you can never swap a motor (and pass a real smog test without a fooler) and all your mods will have to make sure to not set off the check engine light (very easy to do)

KA's can take a bit of power when done right, but the problem is you have to do them right. Just throwing a crappy ebay mani will get you some power but will give more headaches than it's worth.

A 98 240 is a great first car, but keep it stock. I know you want a fast car but you don't need one. First modding should be good shocks and some eibach sportlines (coilovers can be annoying for a DD) and either some good pads or if you have money some 300xz (z32) fronts. Great braking with upgraded suspension will be more fun if you really want a fun car than a ghetto turbo KA.

An unmolested 240 is a rarity these days. I'd jump on it, but owning a 91 240, I'm a bit biased.

Pics?

I don't have any firsthand experience with S14s, but I understand that the KA24DE engine can reliably stand small amounts of boost. It is a "truck engine" after all. There are already kits on the market, so hacking something together isn't necessary. Plus, like Seasonone wrote, the 240SX has a good selection of bolt-on brake and axle upgrades from the larger Nissans. As for aftermarket, it's practically a Japanese Camaro. You'll find that anything you want to do to it has already been done and there's a kit for it.

As for the 240 you're looking at, I don't think I can give you a good opinion because all I drive are beaters :p. But 6k for a '98 240SX with a stick doesn't sound like a bad deal, especially if there's no "drifter tax" involved. As always, if you're serious about a car, get it checked out by a competent mechanic before you buy it. If that's a problem with the owner, then walk away.

A few things to think of, a 1998 is OBD-II so you can never swap a motor (and pass a real smog test without a fooler) and all your mods will have to make sure to not set off the check engine light (very easy to do) .

Ahem: http://www.nistune.com/

Also, you can do an OBD-II to OBD-II engine swap all day long, it's just that the wiring can be a PITA.

Here are the car pics if anyone's interested.

9224513465.254224081.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

9224513467.254224081.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

9224513469.254224081.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

9224513471.254224081.IM1.08.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

9224513472.254224081.IM1.09.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Buy it. Assuming the KA is in the same shape, that car's mint. It'll be a cold day in hell before you see another S14 Kouki that clean again.

Ahem: http://www.nistune.com/

Also, you can do an OBD-II to OBD-II engine swap all day long, it's just that the wiring can be a PITA.

There are a lot of options for tuning, that's not the problem.

And when it comes to swapping motors and 240's it's assumed SR/RB, which aren't going to be OBD-II, and a 16 year old kid isn't going to be the first/one of the first in the world to have a working OBD-II LSx S14.

I still say Miata in all honesty. I came from a modified ''Stage 2'' RS13 (UKDM equivalent of your 240SX), and though my SX was much faster in a straight line, both in terms of fun, and lap-times, it couldn't hold a candle to my current car.

The KA, as you might know, is a 2.4L N/A engine taken from the Nissan Terrano. As stock, you're looking at 140bhp, a decent amount of torque and a healthy aftermarket for your turbocharging options. Though it's strong, I still wouldn't break the general N/A-T conversion rule of 5PSI safely, 7PSI maximum.

As for the handling/braking side of things, I'd opt for a compatible set of decent springs/shockers, or some adjustable coilovers. If you buy decent kit, you can set the damping and spring rates to whatever you want, so you can make the car soft and wafty, or aggressive and harsh depending on what you want. The turn-in and body roll on S14As frankly is atrocious, so some Whiteline ARB's would be high-up on my list. As for brakes, there's no point upgrading to Z32 rotors/calipers if your power-levels/tyres don't warrant it. Spend that money instead on some cut-slicks, some decent pads (AP-Dixcel) and s/s hoses, along with some decent fluid (super blue or Dot 5.1 depending on your level of fast-driving skill...I know this is your first car, but I've no idea if you have a previous racing history). Even better, spend it on some seat-time instead at your local track.

I dare say though, even with all that money hurled at it, the stock Miatas will be making your car look like a barge. A good friend of mine drives a UKDM S14A (black-top SR20) with a few bits, and it is a very nice car, fast too...but I still wouldn't swap my Miata for it, though I'd love it as a second car.

I would jump on the 240. That thing looks clean as hell.Also, in my eyes, my motor selection would go like this; RB>KA>SR.

Those "truck" motors are stout and can handle boost nicely. Plus they can make more torque than the SR could dream of.

S14 240's are pretty good cars. KA's last pretty damn long if you do basic maintenance. Right now I have a S13 with a S14 motor with a supercharger and it is pretty nippy now :)