Questions regarding Laser Eye Surgery

Koenig

Alright, so due to some career decisions, I need Laser Eye Surgery.

Anyone have any first hand experience, or know anyone who's had it done? I've heard a lot of scary stories regarding the surgery, but my optician maintains that the risk is EXTREMELY low.

Please help!

Uhm, I seem to remember that Roman had it done, try taking a look at some of his old posts/threads.

Edit: And just to prove I have no life, here's the link: Click

Last edited:
I'm waiting until they no longer need to cut your eyeballs like a grape.

mgkdk --- Thanks for the info!

cvg --- Like I said...I don't really have a choice in the matter for this surgery.

one of my best friends has had the sugery. he got away with no ill effects and loves it... something about waking up and looking at the clock across his room without needing to get his glasses first

My bro had it, using the old school method (blade)...cheaper also. My friend had it using a laser to make the cut. Both have no problems, although I think they overcorrected my friend (not sure how that works).

I know at least 5 people who did it and had no complications.
I want to do it, I would love to wake up and don't need to put on glasses or contact lenses so all the blur makes sense, but it's a bit expensive.

My dad had it done with a blade about 8 years ago. He was 20-800 when he walked into the OR. By the time he left the building immediately after the surgery was done, he could see that the trees had leaves. By the time he got home, he could see individual shingles on our neighbor's house. The next day, he could see EVERYTHING. He has 20-15 vision in both eyes now. He's also had no complications. He does say that the way they used to do it was disconcerting, but it worked great.

I thought perfect vision was 20/20 so your dad must have SUPER HYPO PERFECT VISION !

I have 40/45 vision. Now work that one out.

Well, sounding good so far. And tbh, it's a bit cheaper than I thought it'd be. My optician said that getting it done by a reputable surgeon usually only cost about $500 per eye.

I have 40/45 vision. Now work that one out.

I don't know if that was a joke or not, but anyway. It would mean that you see detail from 40 feet away, that another person with 'normal' eyesight could see from 45.

I guess they used 40 rather than 20 to say that you are using long distance, rather than normal vision. Or maybe it was just easier to say 40/45 than 17.77/20 vision.

The last time i checked, i couldn't actually get this surgery. This was a few years ago so hopefully technology has changed, but the ophthalmologist told me that I could get it, but would still need to use glasses for reading, and long distance. I could probably drive without glasses, and maybe do other things. It seemed kind of pointless, I would rather wear glasses all the time, then only some of the time. Saves you leaving them places, having to remember them, etc etc.

Last edited:
I don't know if that was a joke or not, but anyway. It would mean that you see detail from 40 feet away, that another person with 'normal' eyesight could see from 45.

I guess they used 40 rather than 20 to say that you are using long distance, rather than normal vision. Or maybe it was just easier to say 40/45 than 17.77/20 vision.

The last time i checked, i couldn't actually get this surgery. This was a few years ago so hopefully technology has changed, but the ophthalmologist told me that I could get it, but would still need to use glasses for reading, and long distance. I could probably drive without glasses, and maybe do other things. It seemed kind of pointless, I would rather wear glasses all the time, then only some of the time. Saves you leaving them places, having to remember them, etc etc.

It was a joke really. I am double sighted and I am slightly long sighted.

How do you find out what your vision is? All I know is that I'm -6 in one eye and -6.5 in the other. I'd love to have laser surgery...just waiting until I think I can afford it, and hopefully am able to have it done, as some people can't.

For all who dont know how vision ratings work, the first number is how many feet you stand from the chart. The second is how tall the letters are in milimeters.

So 20/20 means you can read 20mm letters from 20 feet away.

20/15 means you can read 15mm words from 20 feet away

40/45 is the same as 20/22 since you basically just double the distance and letter size.

I'd like to get it done as well. I hate glasses and I'm too lazy for contacts. Gotta do something.

For all who dont know how vision ratings work, the first number is how many feet you stand from the chart. The second is how tall the letters are in milimeters.

So 20/20 means you can read 20mm letters from 20 feet away.

20/15 means you can read 15mm words from 20 feet away

40/45 is the same as 20/22 since you basically just double the distance and letter size.

Is that so? i thought it meant, that the second number was the distance that a normal sighted person could see something. the first number was what your vision could see. So having 20/20 vision means that you have normal vision. 25/20 is better than normal, 15/20 is worse than normal.

I just typed 20/20 into google and alot of the sites said the same thing. Can you provide a source for what you are saying please?

(yours would be better, but mixing up feet and mm is strange. Yours would actually be able to be tested, rather than just saying 'normal' what could be anything.)

I'm gonna stick with glasses. I'd like to give up my short-sightedness, but i'm a bit squeamish as to having your cornea cut open. Are you anesthetized beforehand, or are you fully awake?

You get local anaesthetic, and with the new lasers, it is a lot less creepy than how it used to be.