Quick Exhaust Question

tigger

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'88 Vic Wagon, '92 Honda VFR
I replaced the muffler on my E30 yesterday and realized that there is only one hangar on the entire exhaust. Well, there may be one just ahead of the catalytic converter, but I think all that's holding the exhaust up is the manifold and one hangar that attaches to the same tab as the driver's side rear sway bar mount.

There's only about 10 feet of 2" exhaust pipe, a catalytic converter and a muffler to hold up, plus the hangar is new. You guys think that's sufficient?

Double check, there should be one or two more mounts. There's usually one out back near where it goes over the axle, one before it and possibly one around the cat.

Checked this morning; there are two hangars, the one I replaced behind the rear axle/in front of the muffler ... and another that's completely shot at the catalytic converter. 2 days of driving with the full weight of the exhaust on it ruined it and now it's not supporting much of anything. :lol: My dad and I have a running joke about this sort of thing, "Ah, the joys of owning a classic car!"

I'll replace the second hangar when I finally have free time again; getting the Honda paperwork/motorcycle license is taking priority right now.

Last edited: