quick poll - Panda vs Duster

Interrobang

Forum Addict
Last edited:
The Duster, but only because it's the newer car and thus hopefully will break down less often, which is important in the end of the world scenario you described.

Last edited:
I choose the Panda...ofcourse being a slight Fiat fanboy helps, but I do have reasons.
1. The Duster is a Romanian built Renault...nuff said, as far as I'm concerned.
2. The Panda is in my book much more capable off road, if fitted with 4x4. More competent with the ground clearance and general roughness.
3. The Panda uses such minute amounts of petrol, that you don't even remember the last time you filled it up.

No love for the Sandero? :'(

I think the Panda looks more fun to drive.

My experience with very small old Fiats (and their Seat counterparts) tells me that my feet are too large to operate their pedals properly. So, Dacia it is for me.

To add my own two cents, I would have the 4x4 Panda.
While the Duster has some apeal stylewise, I think the old 4x4 Panda is sub-zero cool, no doubt. I would guess it can also beat the Duster if you look at actual offroad-stuff - and in terms of reliability the only real enemy of the Fiat is rust ...

Last edited:
To add my own two cents, I would have the 4x4 Panda.
While the Duster has some apeal stylewise, I think the old 4x4 Panda is sub-zero cool, no doubt. I would guess it can also beat the Duster if you look at actual offroad-stuff - and in terms of reliability the only real enemy of the Fiat is rust ...

Or the hamster in the wheel under the bonnet dying ....

That said, I would chose the Fiat aswell, THAT said, I would rahter haven been eaten by the Metalosaurus myself :p

I'd have the Dacia Duster. James May tested it in the magazine a while ago and liked it. The Duster is the new Lada Niva.

Actually the Lada Niva is the new Lada Niva. At least in the UK. They're being imported here again. Same model........

The Duster is the new Lada Niva.
And that's a good thing how?

Okay, I will admit that the Lada Niva would take you wherever you wanted to go. But I prefer a 4X4 that'll take me where I want to go and bring me back!

duster, of course!
it looks kinda cool to me. not in pics, but on road..
plus it's rough and tough
plus it's very good off road since it has a nissan x- terra drive
First Dacia that I like! :D

And that's a good thing how?

Okay, I will admit that the Lada Niva would take you wherever you wanted to go. But I prefer a 4X4 that'll take me where I want to go and bring me back!

Oh you'll get back. Reliability is fine, it's everything else that's the problem :D

I'd pick the Duster because I like it. If they fixed the odd quirks (if you want to wash your windscreen you have to pull a stalk and push a button at the same time which is loony, steering wheel only adjusts one way (just like the much more expensive Nissan Juke, which is rrrrrrrrrubbish) and the seats are uncomfortable, it'd be the most awesome car ever for it's price.

Last edited:

I agree, it has the ruggedness without the bloatedness that seems to be necessary with any SUV style vehicle.
And honestly, if I had to buy a modern car I'd choose the Panda, not in 4x4 though. It's simple and honest and fun to drive (if you don't equate fun just to acceleration and straight line speed), it still has the small car feeling that even the 500 has lost a bit, not being numbed down to feel stable.
Rust isn't really an issue any more. The small Fiat engines go on forever, a friend of mine's Uno has more than 300.000 kms with only basic maintanance. Electrics were wonky but seem to be allright nowadays.

I actually really want a Fiat Panda :)

Last edited:
My experience with very small old Fiats (and their Seat counterparts) tells me that my feet are too large to operate their pedals properly. So, Dacia it is for me.
Heh, I've driven an Autobianchi a couple of times (based off a Fiat) and it's lulz. I think they made it coco-sized.

Then again, I have smaller feet. :p

I agree, it has the ruggedness without the bloatedness that seems to be necessary with any SUV style vehicle.
And honestly, if I had to buy a modern car I'd choose the Panda, not in 4x4 though. It's simple and honest and fun to drive (if you don't equate fun just to acceleration and straight line speed), it still has the small car feeling that even the 500 has lost a bit, not being numbed down to feel stable.

I actually really want a Fiat Panda :)

Would something like this be more to your liking, Beni?

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/ph/phoenixsac/2011/01/22/Fiat-Panda_100HP_2007_1024x768_wallpaper_05.jpg