Race Driver: GRID

My bro has it installed and plays fine on his 3870 with the latest ATI driver....

Can you ask him to try the drift event with the Silvia (it's after the 350Z race)? It's that particular event that I have problems with. The grip events works fine for me.

Hey, I just talked to him on MSN and he's going to try it right now.

BTW, what exact card do you have?

EDIT:

He just beat the silvia drift gp, no crashes, so I'm not sure why it's giving you a hassle :hmm:

Last edited:
Thanks for trying it out, maybe it's just the older gen cards that has problems. But I checked the officially supported cards for this game, the X1950 is on the list, so it should work.

The card I have is a Sapphire brand X1950GT 512mb. I usually run it oc'd at 681 core/ 661 vram. But I tried to set both settings back to stock 500/600, and I still have the same problem. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait, I'm building a new rig after the Q3 Intel price drop.

Man, that is strange. It should work with the X1950GT, especially if the demo worked fine for you :? I checked codemasters forums and didn't find anything specific about ATI cards having problems.

This was all I found:
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279358

But supposedly that was fixed after Catalyst 8.3

You may want to contact Codemasters support?

Last edited:
Maybe I need to downgrade my driver to 8.3 or 8.4. I'm going to give that a try.

Sounds like according to that forum post I linked to, the fix at that time was to go back to 8.2, but that was back in early May.

Downgraded it to 8.4 with hotfix, it works now, but the game still randomly crashes if I play continuously for more than an hour. Anyway, that's fine with me, at least I can play it now. Thanks for the replies.

I tried to give +rep to you, but it won't let me, sry.

Downgraded it to 8.4 with hotfix, it works now, but the game still randomly crashes if I play continuously for more than an hour.

Sounds like overheating. You sure the card isn't getting too hot?

My card goes from 50C to 70C and the fan kicks up to high all in a matter of minutes once I start playing GRID. It doesn't do that for other games.

I haven't checked the temp, it plays all my other games fine, but I'll monitor the temp when I play tomorrow. I can't play anymore today, my thumb hurts now. lol.

This game is awesome! The graphics didn't blow me away though, and the overall game felt like 'Dirt without the dirt' but crap it's fun. It got me seriously thinking of getting a cheapo wheel and having some fun.

It is pretty fun, I've already unlocked all three levels of the Japanese events. But the lack of modding and tuning for the cars bothers me a little bit, especially on some of the cars that understeers. The Dirt's physics engine work reasonably well on the track, but on the city tracks in the Japanese event, I have to pull the handbrake on a lot of the turns (kinda like in Dirt when you're on tarmac) in order to get through it at a reasonable speed. And the 350Z's handling is a bit unpredictable, sometimes it turns well and behaves like it should, but in some situation it just understeer and plows into a wall.

Dirt actually looked better to me since they had a LOT of effects like dust and rain which seriously added to the drama, and also the damage physics don't look as intense here.

I'va so far finished the Muscle car level on all three and bought a Supra and saving up for another car. Money really is easy with all the sponsors.

350Z and on those Japanese tracks IS bad, i turned off traction control and raced and had to drift mostly to win that first offer event.

Dirt actually looked better to me since they had a LOT of effects like dust and rain which seriously added to the drama, and also the damage physics don't look as intense here.

DiRT had dust, but no rain. The engine didn't support any weather then and I guess the updated version that powers GRID still doesn't.

The "welcome John, your car is ready and waiting" thing in the beginning is the only thing i like about this game... The rest is kinda crap..

Has anyone been able to beat the Vertex Prototype Championship (highest level in the Japan races). I can't even beat the Ravenwest people on normal. Their car's got 20% extra power or something. I hired the most expensive team mate Nori Kaito already, he's still not able to beat them, and I can't fking tune the 787B. It handles alright, but it has too much grip, it doesn't slide enought, on the mountain roads in the second race the car just crashes into the fking wall everytime. Maybe I just need to get an Xbox360 controller for this.

Also with the 360 controller, on the 360 I find Ravenwest Fuckers almost impossible to beat, no matter which difficulty...

Also with the 360 controller, on the 360 I find Ravenwest Fuckers almost impossible to beat, no matter which difficulty...
I can't speak for the 360, but I beat those fuckers on my PC on normal difficulty. It's just a matter of "exchanging" a little paint and doing some good blocking.

They are easy in the corners since they take a set line and at a set slower speed and they don't like to slide at all, i played a few quick races and beat them getting by in the corners, they are alway slightly better in the straights.

Yeah I keep giving them a little shunt in the first corner and overtake them, the rest of the race is a game of blocking :)