• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Raider Test Drive: Dodge Magnum

Raider

Felt like doing some more comparing today...soooo I headed down to my local Dodge dealer and checked out the Dodge Magnum...both the HEMI and the SXT 260hp version...

Basically, the Hemi hauls ass and that's the only difference between that and the SXT version...so I'll leave it at at...both are RWD additionally

Pros:
Both cars are comfortable, both had leather seats, and all that stuff...The car itself is huge in person...I knew the car was big because i've seen the 300M in person, but this car is just so much bigger...

It's based off the Mercedes E Class and it handles pretty well, 4 wheel disc breaks, the stabiliation control, heated seats, good steering response, good pickup on the highway...i hit 80mph without feeling it and without thinking about it, the breaks are very responsilve but comfortable still, so it won't throw you forward if you need to slam on them...

The car monitors the seats position so it'll activate different stages if the air bag deploys and if there i something/someone under 70lbs in the front seats the bag won't deploy at all...

Tinted windows in the back are cool, the trunk space is awesome, sitting in the back is comfortable...even with the driver seat most of the way back (i didn't need to put it all the way back when I drove, which is something i need to do in a Nissan Altima), plenty of leg space and room in general in the back...
The front passenger areas are just loaded with space, leg room, head room, arm room, plenty of it.

The standard stereo is the Boston Accoustics 6 speaker audio with indash mp3 player with a 260 watt amp...sounded good in my view compared to other speaker systems i've heard in cars...

Cons:
Only automatic versions for now...unknown plans to bring in a 5/6 speed in the future...but even with that, the auto felt good...no lagging and quick shifts...

the dash is pretty high up compared to most mid-full size sedans..which is both good and bad...I'm sorta a little guy at 5 foot 10 which was great for head room btw, but i'm only 135lbs and the dash seemed way up high...it's something i could could overlook if i decided to get this car...

Overall
I loved this car, if it wasn't for the fact that it came only in auto, i couldn't find anything wrong with it...
4.5/5 stars.
Prices: SXT 260hp - $26,000 with all the features (i would actaully get a more stripped model, i don't want leather seats)
R/T Hemi - $32,000

the dealership I went to had 3 Mugnums that they would allow for test drives, they were all out when i got there and we had to wait for one to come in...After my test drive when i got back, someone was buying one and someone else was waiting to take the one i was driving out...I've never been to a dealership or have seen a car that was just basically coming in and going out like that...I think Dodge got this car right on...

I drove a Magnum on an autocross track last month. It handles like it looks - like a brick. :twisted: :lol:

In my opinion there are much better cars in that price range. If you are looking for interior space, I would agree that it is a good car, but other than that, I didn't like it at all.

at the NY autoshow i played a demo of the magnum on xbox and it was very realistic driving sim.

the understeer was also realistic for the car and thats all i have to say about that hemi crap box.

uuuh right, now you're basion your opinions on how cars feel in games!? :roll:

I'm not defending the magnum BTW, I don't like it

all the complaints about this car is basically racing/track stuff...(video games...uhh...no)

if you own this car...i don't think you're buying it for track/racing value, more of a big car with tons of cargo space...so what are you complaining about?

your complaints are about as valueable as "i bought the Carrera GT can i can only fit 2 people with no baggage...the car sucks" you don't buy a Carrera for cargo space, much like you don't buy a station wagon for track use... or a Ford GT for the best gas milage :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

so i guess what ur saying is that video games have no sense of realism at all and that every car is not bad but has its purpose?

right, yeah sure.

Raider007 said:
all the complaints about this car is basically racing/track stuff...(video games...uhh...no)

your complaints are about as valueable as "i bought the Carrera GT can i can only fit 2 people with no baggage...the car sucks" you don't buy a Carrera for cargo space, much like you don't buy a station wagon for track use... or a Ford GT for the best gas milage :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think you may have misunderstood what I posted then... :roll:

zenon said:
In my opinion there are much better cars in that price range. If you are looking for interior space, I would agree that it is a good car, but other than that, I didn't like it at all.

As I said, it is a good car in respect to the ammount of interior space you get. Other than that, I could not justify buying the car. I did mention what I thought of it after driving it on an autocross course, but I could only justify the car if I were looking for massive ammounts of interior space.

For less money you could get a Mazda6 wagon, which in my opinion is a much nicer and much more balanced car. It still has all the function the Magnum has, but from my experience it is a much nicer car in terms of styling and performance.

Raider007 said:
if you own this car...i don't think you're buying it for track/racing value, more of a big car with tons of cargo space...so what are you complaining about?

If someone were buying a car with a 5.7L 340HP engine, they would obviously be looking for more than just function. The Magnum does have great cargo space, but with the Hemi engine you are obvioulsy looking for performance - in that respect I can not justify the car. The Mazda6 has quite a bit less power, but handles far better and feels much more connected to the road than the Magnum.

justin syder said:
so i guess what ur saying is that video games have no sense of realism at all and that every car is not bad but has its purpose?
right, yeah sure.

i'm saying basing your opinion on how a car feels in real life based off a video game is the dumbest thing i've ever heard...I don't care how good Gran Turismo or Project Gothom or any other game is, you'll never replace throttle respone with the X button and how hard or soft steering is with the left and right buttons...

and basing those things off a video game...that's just stupid...
and no, not every car is good at what's it's built for (i personally hate the RX8 after i test drove one of those, sorry Ren...) but this car is good at what it does...

I've driven the Mazda 6 as well, and that's car is very average...basically has the feel of a Camry...not great in anything, but not bad in anything either...

I agree the Hemi engine is just a show piece...I wouldn't buy it it witha Hemi, i'd get it with the 260 hp V6 engine instead...(like i said in the first post)

but whatever...i liked the car, you don't, that's fine...

Raider007 said:
i'm saying basing your opinion on how a car feels in real life based off a video game is the dumbest thing i've ever heard...I don't care how good Gran Turismo or Project Gothom or any other game is, you'll never replace throttle respone with the X button and how hard or soft steering is with the left and right buttons...

and basing those things off a video game...that's just stupid...

Raider007 said:
I've driven the Mazda 6 as well, and that's car is very average...basically has the feel of a Camry...not great in anything, but not bad in anything either...

I agree the Hemi engine is just a show piece...I wouldn't buy it it witha Hemi, i'd get it with the 260 hp V6 engine instead...(like i said in the first post)

but whatever...i liked the car, you don't, that's fine...

From your review, it doesn't seem like you really get to push your car handling wise. Most cars drive the same at low speeds, it's when you push it to 8/10ths that a car's true character begins to show.

The Mazda 6 is far superior to the Camry, not in refinement or engine, but with pure handling. Whereas the Camry is soft, wallowy and understeery; the 6 is composed and waay stiffer.