Raikkonen to McLaren for 2010?

HatePersonified

From Yahoo Sport:

Former Formula 1 World Champion Kimi Raikkonen ?has signed an outline agreement? to return to McLaren-Mercedes in 2010, sources have revealed ? in a move that would free up a place at Ferrari for Fernando Alonso, and likely see Nico Rosberg jump ship from Williams to current world championship leaders Brawn GP.

According to British newspaper the Daily Mirror, Raikkonen ? who Ferrari are desperately trying to buy out of his ?25 million contract for next season ? has in principle agreed to rejoin his erstwhile Woking employers, with whom he competed in the top flight from 2002 to 2006, securing half of his 18 grand prix triumphs to-date with the multiple world championship-winning British outfit.

Though that relationship did not end on the best of terms ? with the Finn?s well-documented party-loving lifestyle not going down too well in the very clinical and regimented McLaren atmosphere ? it seems both sides could now be willing to give things another go.

The one sticking point, it is understood, is Ferrari?s continuing reluctance to pay Raikkonen his full 2010 retainer, with the 29-year-old similarly refusing to budge until he has received the money in its entirety.

Should a deal indeed go through, however, it would spell the end of Rosberg?s on-off flirtation with a future in silver, and possibly pave the way for the highly-rated young German to join Brawn in place of Rubens Barrichello.

It is believed that Mercedes-Benz has been pushing hard for McLaren to snap up the services of the son of 1982 F1 World Champion Keke Rosberg for next year ? to replace the underperforming Heikki Kovalainen ? but with rumours suggesting that the Stuttgart manufacturer may now be edging more towards a buy-out or at least partial buy-out of Brawn rather than extending its 15-year partnership with the Silver Arrows, the pieces of the complicated driver jigsaw could finally be beginning to fall into place.

Wont happen.

1. Why would ferrari pay so much to replace one race-winning world champion with another?

2. McMerc Should be sick and tired of having two equal drivers by now, it always results in a fight and a scandal. They will likely pick up rosburg because i dont see either of the brawn drivers leaving next year.

On the other hand, Mclaren are likely to replace kovi next year, and this would allow fezza to get alonso and keep Massa, who i suspect would have been on the chopping block had he not had his crash. Now it would be very un-PC to fire him. Massa's accident may have doomed Kimi's F1 career, or at least his ferrari one.

Its floating around that Mercades wants a german driver in the brawns next year to go with their buy-in to the team.

Wont happen.

I'm not so sure

Raikkonen said himself that he has a contract for next year - in F1

On the other hand, i highly doubt Ferrari would pay him a year's salary!
They might come to an agreement where ferrari pays half or a quarter of next years salary...

Not likely.

Kimi is performing so well at the moment, I don't think Ferrari would want to sign Alonso for 2010. It would be interesting to see Kimi pairing up with Alonso at Ferrari, but that won't happen.

But it's still a small possibility. I would hate to see Kimi being in a hamilton-baised team though, I don't think it will be the same old "McLaren" team for him.

Why the hell would Mercedes want a German driver? They're an international company, surely the German market isn't THAT important to them...

Not likely.

Kimi is performing so well at the moment, I don't think Ferrari would want to sign Alonso for 2010. It would be interesting to see Kimi pairing up with Alonso at Ferrari, but that won't happen.

But it's still a small possibility. I would hate to see Kimi being in a hamilton-baised team though, I don't think it will be the same old "McLaren" team for him.

They're only Hamilton biased because Kovalainen can't pull his weight. I'm sure Kimi will get equal treatment from them. Hamilton was close to Dennis, but he's gone now.

Nope. My bet is that he won't go rallying. As for all the rest. It's so messy that I won't bother speculating.

I've even heard kimi to renault, which is much more realistic as of this morning. The fact of the matter is the finn has to go. Alonso is the new hot ticket.

I've even heard kimi to renault, which is much more realistic as of this morning. The fact of the matter is the finn has to go. Alonso is the new hot ticket.

What the hell is with the Alonso hype? It's 40-20 for Kimi at the moment. Both are still on their game, both are excellent drivers and Kimi has been outstanding lately.

Personally I find Alonso's reputation more tainted with the Singapore scandal.

But why has everyone picked up the hype from the Spanish (rubbish) press? The key is not Alonso but Kimi, if he wants to stay I'm sure he does. If they can't buy him out, they don't really want him leave enough.

I think Kimi isn't really fussed. As long as he gets paid lots of money to drive a competitive car he will go wherever. I also think its fair to say that the general ambience at Ferrari doesn't really suit him, although it could be said that the general ambience in F1 doesn't suit him, which is why we love him so much.

I think Massa should be fighting for Kimi to stay as I think Alonso would absolutely cream Felipe.

Im not saying kimi deserves to leave, massa will never be as good as kimi, and had he not become the richard hammond of f1 his days certainly would have been numbered.

But honestly, can you honestly say there is nothing to the alonso rumblings? Usually when something like this happens in f1, its more likely to be true than not. Rumors are rumors, this is something else...

Kimi, no, not back to the lair of the silver doom. Please, god, stay here at the Scuderia, Kimi ... I don't want to see Alonso in Ferrari...the most double faced man I ever got to see.

I just Kimi in his element in the red car..when concentrates, drives well, then poduims are his.

But IF he leaves..I'd want to thank him for the good times he gave us ...

Kimi, no, not back to the lair of the silver doom. Please, god, stay here at the Scuderia, Kimi ... I don't want to see Alonso in Ferrari...the most double faced man I ever got to see.

I just Kimi in his element in the red car..when concentrates, drives well, then poduims are his.

But IF he leaves..I'd want to thank him for the good times he gave us ...

[youtube]wedX64L_j9E[/youtube]

edit: Damn it, can you skip to a certain point in a youtube video when embedding? the "#t=1m45s" thing doesnt work"

Last edited:
I really don't think Kimi should do this. Being in Mclaren is utter crap now if you're not named Lewis Haimlton and Kimi must know this. Also, Kimi has been doing great lately and why on earth would Ferrari pay so much to get rid of a driver that is doing so well? That is just wrong on so many levels. I been saying all season that the driver are NOT Ferrari's problem. At some point it seemed like Kimi is a bit under performing but he's proven to be back for 4 races in a row now.

Ferrari should just STFU, work on the car and keep their current line-up, both drivers are fine.

BTW

There is one bright spot to this, if this does happen we get to see if Roseberg demolishes Button :)

That's the difference, Alonso brings his A-game all the time. Just think back to him and Lewis Hamilton scrapping for 15th and 16th place a few weeks ago at the British GP. That's why those two guys are legends.

MattD1zzl3, great one :D Love it!

AnGuRuSO, just remember how many times Kimi went for it when he had nothing to lose and did a mistake or something and so many poeple talked rubbish about him.

When it's not worth to take risks, just save the car, engine, gearbox and spare yourself some hassle.
But when it is worth to take a chance, believe me, Kimi will grab it and use it well. He was all out of it in 2008, since the car didn't suit him. Ferrari saw that Felipe will be their head man, so naturally they made the car for him.

This year started kinda similarly, but after the Hungarian GP Kimi's form went up. Bit wierd aye, Massa out, Kimi straight away much better. Not that I don't like Massa, I love both of these guys, but I'm just saying, a car that is suited to one will never please the other.