• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Ram Test programm, anyone?

Buba

Wants Rick Astley's Babies
Car(s)
BMW M235i
Hey!

I just got some RAM, its DDR400 cl3, 1 gig, exilir

Does anybody have recommendations on tests I should run? Programs and such...
Because I have it installed in Slot 1 on a KT333 Board (a bit old school...) together with 2x256 MB Samsung DDR333 cl2.5.
According to the manual this should be no problem, as there can be 3 Double Sided in it, but I only have one DS and the other 2 are SS.
I'm a bit concerned about Stability, because the Mobo doesn't wanna change to cl3. I only have 2 and 2.5 as options.

I guess, DDR400 cl3 @ DDR333 should do with cl2.5??? Dunno, though...

Buba

you gotta boot with that...

I meant something like 3dmark, but not as big and more for CPU and RAM... PCmark maybe?
Gonna give it a shot.

Ye, there is nothing better out there. IF it passes mem test for more than 6 hours it should be more than stable.

If you tell me the exact number on the chips of ram itself I could have a look at what the producer recomends in it's tech sheets. But probably the mix of ram will be the main decideing factor.

Kip_6666 said:
But probably the mix of ram will be the main decideing factor.

I guess so, too...
The 1GB chip should be fine and working as long as its not overclocked... I'm gonna go for the testing now...

Buba

First of all, as people have said, nothing beats memtest. Specially no Windows programs, as you need an environment where all of the memory is accessible.

As for mixing chips, there should be no problem. I have mixed DDR400 and DDR333 chips in my comp and I have no stability problems at all. But you must remember that when you mix DDRs with different speeds, the mainboard automatically switches to the slowest speed (logically) to avoid problems. So yeah, I would say you will be stuck with cl2.5 until all your chips are the same speed.

SO far everthing is fine... I guess it will stay that way, since the ddr400 is running under its speed anyway...

Sisoft and Memtest are your best options. I always burn in and test with memtest when I get new RAM.

REALLY weird thing:

Ever since I plugged the additional gig in, the comp ran rock-solid and stable, in games, office and Internet use, smoother than ever.

BUT: Whenever I restart, it hangs before you log on to windows. I restart and the second time it simply works as ever.
The failure is reproducable, so I tried it like 8 times, and every time it worked only the second time I restarted... Hmmm...

Things like BIOS upgrade won't help, since I have the most recent... Any advice? Didn't have the time to run the full ram test, but I don't think its neccessary, since its stable as ever...

Buba

^^ I doubt its anything from those, since the install worked smooth for about a year, and I only added the extra RAM...
Hmmm, I guess, I'll leave it, I restart once a week, so its no biggie..

Thanks for your input!

Buba

i have the same problem when i try to boot and my usb-stick is plugged in. it also hangs for like a minute before it opens the windows login screen. i think it has sth to do with IRQs

jensked said:
reinstall windows? :)

...no, remember this: "only format c:\ when there's no other way..."

Why's that? If you have the time, it is the best way to get the computer working at its best...

^^ Sure, but there is always one tiny little thing that I seem to forget all the time... Like the fav wallpaper or the Iconset I like...

Buba said:
^^ Sure, but there is always one tiny little thing that I seem to forget all the time... Like the fav wallpaper or the Iconset I like...

I see. I just keep My Docs' folder in a different drive, and redirect it after every install... I just backup the Favorites folder. I don't use different icons. The simplier, the better.

bihus said:
jensked said:
reinstall windows? :)

...no, remember this: "only format c:\ when there's no other way..."

Why's that? If you have the time, it is the best way to get the computer working at its best...

It's just a funny one-liner :)
And if you format, the problem with your computer beats you.

I also have a different drive for stuff like that...but it's just the burden of backing up outlook, adress book, games' savegames, wallpapers, MSN received items...

I do a format once every year just to clean up the mess.