• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

ran out of wires what do i do?!

jasonchiu

Forum Addict
omg i am such a noob. i open my case and i find out that i dont have any room for another HD. not as in room but as in, i dont have enough of those long 40 pin wires left.

what is the solution? can i get one that divids in to 3 instead of 2?

thx

captin of all noobs, jason

I think you'll need one of those
mct-raid133.jpg

It's a Pci Ide controller card.

no.... first make sure you have a PCI slot... then plug that card in and buy 2 new wires and plug one end into the card and the other into the HD... ;)

i had no idea those things existed!
can you boot from a disk connected to such a slot?

Are you already using all of the IDE slots on your motherboard? I'm not sure what your setup is. If you have two slots on your motherbaord then you should be able to set up 2 hard drives and 2 CD drives without a problem, but you may already be full then?

bone said:

Yeah, they have thier own little bios that get innitiated after the mobo's bios. And you can boot of that.

bone said:

Have you ever wondered why Windows on installing is giving to time at the very beginning to press F6 to install a third party something or something ;-) :lol:

Buba

swek said:
$8.95 on ebay. So yes. :lol:

If that thing is under $10, it's a bargain for sure!

I agree with the the man up here ^

an external enclosure is the way to go. But make sure u get a proper set, adaptor and all, usb2.. (check your mobo supports it, usb2 that is..)

I :love: my FireWire\USB2.0 enclosure with 80gigabyte drive. :D It's got the majority of my MP3 collection on it, so I can take it wherever I go. :music:

so the card is cheaper but more of a hassel? and the usb thing is more expensive but less of a hassle?

which one is quicker? as in laoding stuff? coz i'm gonna go out and get one today.

the USB one uses more CPU load so the pci controller card will be faster. but there wont be a big difference.

bigfoot1942 said:
the USB one uses more CPU load
Really? I've never heard of anything like that with USB enclosures. I've never noticed any performance impact with my enclosure. What sort of impact should there be?