Random F1 videos

That last video, was it being commented on by aliens?
Ha ha, it was my speakers being screwy, never mind.

Last edited:
Nope, THIS is A1 Ring, what you're thinking about was called ?sterreichring and hosted the Formula One Austrian Grand Prix for 18 consecutive years, from 1970 to 1987.

What we have here is the shortened and improved version, which they called the A1 Ring. Nowadays it's called the Red Bull Ring....for obvious reasons.

Old school would be the ?sterreichring, not the A1 Ring, since it's been the same since the late 90s. Plus, the ?sterreichring is a much better track IMO.

Nitpicker. Enjoy the V10 belowing 'round a track that isn't on the calendar anymore.

Fuckin' hell!

Has anyone here got a video from 2011 ROC? The one where Norbert Haug was driving an old Mercedes race car, real tremendous stuff for an old man. He was literally throwing the car around, drifting it around corners and doing mad donuts.

A proper racer : ) Respect!

coanda effect used to get the exhaust gasses to the diffuser...

i understand how the principle works, but i don't see how these vids show the effect.
as far as i can see, the first one demonstrates lift, and the second one i don't understand why it's important the spoon has free movement, the diffuser isn't sucked in the exhaust gas flow, the gas flow is diverted towards the diffuser!

if you ask me, none has been able to explain it as well as this simple pic
Coanda_Spoon.jpg

Last edited:
Except that picture doesn't demonstrate the coanda effect. That's just surface tension. Speeds are much too low for coanda effect in the case of the spoon and the water, it's just used a lot because it's visual.

(If you're interested, this file explains why lift/downforce works, and coanda is just an extension of that, as it's the same pressure forces which keep the fluid attached to a curved surface. http://iopscience.iop.org/0031-9120/38/6/001/pdf/pe3_6_001.pdf)

Last edited:
always interested in the tech side of F1! tnx!

[video=youtube;W-57Thiyvy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-57Thiyvy8[/video]

GODDAMNIT WHAT A SOUND, HOLYSHIT!!!! I must sell everything and go to a race...enough is enough.

I love that moment when everyone is just holding revs; it's like building the suspense and then even better is when the lights go out and all the revs drop. So cool!