Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Good luck with that mate, finding NEW ones is nigh-on impossible.Let alone old

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2011/02/09/ShamRockAway_03_700-700x429_001.jpg

We?re enjoying the sleuthing you folks are doing in search of the history and whereabouts of the eight-wheeled Buick motorhome we?ve posted here twice now. And we?re seeing results! Not only did Steve Donohoe track down the builder of the vehicle ? J. Dennis McGuire of Alma, Michigan, a noted RV enthusiast ? but we?ve also been in touch with Colleen, Dennis?s daughter, who provided a few more photos and a brief history of the motorhome, which Dennis dubbed the ShamRockAway:

ShamRockAway was one of many projects Dad did when he retired. When people ask him, Why? He would say, ?Why not?? He was an inventor and motor home enthusiast since 1948. Dad bought a 1942 school bus and converted it to a camper as it was called back then. He also converted a 1958 Flexible coach in the 1960s and toured the United States with his family, Michael and Colleen. He was one of the founding members of the FMCA, at the first meeting in Maine. Other projects he worked on were a wind machine to generate electricity which he mounted on his house and a semi electric car.

Buicks were his favorite cars to drive. ?I have always enjoyed the smoother ride offered by the coil springs on a Buick automobile and decided to have a motor home with the same handling and comfort.?

Michael (son-chip off the ole block) designed and built the unique steering gear box that allows all four front wheels to turn. Other features: power steering, air shocks on the drive wheels (only one rear axle is powered), near equal curb weight per wheel, power plant from an Electra 225 Buick, 401 cubic inch displacement V8 engine, Dynaflow transmission, and eight wheels, two gas tanks, solid frame, two heaters, two air conditioners, weight 9960 lbs., tires L78 except ?J? on the tag wheels, double core radiator, standing height six feet and length 28 feet to bumper.

The inside of the doors in front were built to hold maps and booklets. A special folding door enlarged the bathroom area. The kitchen and stowage areas were molded into existing space with ample room for walking between the living and driving compartments. The driver sits over the engine. Dad also put in an altimeter, a CB radio, vacuum gauges, auxiliary battery switch and an unusual horn?a bicycle bell to ring when people waved or kids that thought he had an air horn. How people would smile!!!!

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2011/02/09/ShamRockAway_02_700-700x541.jpg

?I just kept one wagon whole in the middle, split another in half, and welded the front and back on the one in center. It fit together like a glove.?

?People would joke and even make bets that I couldn?t drive it away with all the licensing and safety regulations. Why if we didn?t have the doubters, we wouldn?t have the doers in this county.?

?I didn?t build anything, I just reassembled!?

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2011/02/09/ShamRockAway_01_700.jpg

Dad completed his project when he was 69 years old. He and Mom traveled many states including Arizona and Pennsylvania in the ShamRockAway. Mom, Lucile, kept a log of some of the unusual comments on the CB as they traveled. Here are a few: ?Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, What the heck is it?? ?The Martians have landed. Take to the hills.? ?Smokey won?t know which way to chase it? ?I?ll have to cut down on my pills, I?m seeing things.? ?It?s an eighteen wheeler that has been in a wreck.? ?Just saw Noah?s Ark.? ?You?d look funny too if you were cut in the middle.?

Dad?s creation surely brought many smiles to people?s faces. That was dad. An Irishman, with lots of sayings, he enjoyed making people smile. When asked if he would ever consider selling the ShamRockAway, he would say with that twinkle in his eye, ?Probably settle for a one eyed horse and a hundred bushel of oats.?

Colleen notes that her father died in 1990, but he would love the attention the ShamRockAway is starting to get.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2011/02/09/ShamRockAway_05_600.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2011/02/09/ShamRockAway_06_600.jpg

Reader David Link also sent us these couple photos of the ShamRockAway, apparently taken in the St. Louis, Michigan, area junkyard that Steve Donohue was told was the ShamRockAway?s final resting place. We?re all still trying to determine whether it?s still there ? if it is, we may just have to put together an expedition to document it!

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...details-emerge-on-the-shamrockaway-motorhome/

:blowup:

Last edited:
hmmmm... the big boss apparently had a new Jag XJ offered for free for a year to him by Jaguar, and since he doesn't really care for that car (already has an Audi A8 4.2 TDI, a BMW 535i, and a Porsche Turbo), is lending the keys to anyone who wants them....

the catch is : only minimal insurance on the car instead of full coverage, meaning you break it, you buy it....

should I? it would be awesome since the car is loaded with pretty much everything. On the other hand, I don't see myself affording a 70k? car if anything goes wrong...

hmmmm... the big boss apparently had a new Jag XJ offered for free for a year to him by Jaguar, and since he doesn't really care for that car (already has an Audi A8 4.2 TDI, a BMW 535i, and a Porsche Turbo), is lending the keys to anyone who wants them....

the catch is : only minimal insurance on the car instead of full coverage, meaning you break it, you buy it....

should I? it would be awesome since the car is loaded with pretty much everything. On the other hand, I don't see myself affording a 70k? car if anything goes wrong...

I don't know how the rules are in Belgium, but can't you just get your own insurance on it?

you won't be able to have your car insurance cover you driving another car

but i think you should be able to get an insurance for a week or so...

It depends on your insurance plan. If you have Uninsured/Underinsured coverage then you are usually ok. Call your carrier and ask what their policy is on covering you in another person's car that has liability only. You can often add a more comprehensive coverage that will ensure any car you get in will be fully insured.

I was pulled over riding a motorcycle 15 minutes after purchase and obviously I didn't have a proof of insurance card for it. The cop had already written me a ticket for no insurance when I told him of the type of coverage I had and showed him my policy number. He had to scratch that off the ticket because I would have just brought a copy of my policy into court and the ticket would have been thrown out.

There is some noise in the background to Katy Perry's "Firework" that sounds exactly like a Mitsubishi warning ding.

It never fails--every time that song comes on, I look down to see if I'm out of gas or something.

picard-facepalm.jpg

There is some noise in the background to Katy Perry's "Firework" that sounds exactly like a Mitsubishi warning ding.
Every time some dickhead decided to mix a police siren into their song or radio ad, I lift off. Even when I know it's coming.

Arseholes.

Every time some dickhead decided to mix a police siren into their song or radio ad, I lift off. Even when I know it's coming.

Arseholes.

I seriously think this should be illegal.

Technically you're not allowed to broadcast a police sirene from your car, so why is it ok to do it over the radio?

I'm aware I could be regurgitating old news here, but if any Jalopnik readers are fed up of the new design already then there is a way to get the old style back with th latest content, for now at least.

ca.jalopnik.com

I somehow got to this morning while browsing the site as normal.

It never fails--every time that song comes on, I look down to see if I'm out of gas or something.

Arseholes.

sample.png

Arseholes.

THIS, police sirens, horns, stop it already!

What music are you people listening to that has that in it? I've never had that problem...

What music are you people listening to that has that in it? I've never had that problem...

You get me an FM radio station that is available here and only plays country/classic rock and I will gladly switch :p

For me it's ads. There was one ad around here that ran for a while with a loud and pronounced car horn, got me every time. That really should be illegal.

Some stations use screeching tires, car horns or sirens to lead into the traffic report.