Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Adunaphel thinks this should go into Awesome thread.......who am I to deny him a wish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaaand the Focus I was looking at was sold. Poop.

A couple of random thoughts: On my street, there'a Citro?n C5 3.0i V6 automatic with leather. Silver. In terms of Citro?ns and specifications, it's probably really nice, but it does nothing for me. It's not angular enough for me, it's too whale-like.

Another randomness: this piece of foam that came in my Casio's packaging smells just like new Mazdas' interiors used to smell like, in the mid-'90s.

Yeah, Citro?n C5 is just... like 4,8 meters of general car. Citro?ns are like Alfas (they're different kind of cars of course), they're never going to bee good enough average cars, so have to work on the emotional part of the brain. And big roundy soap-box doesn't do it.

Guys, I have a big problem!

I test drove a blue S60R today at the dealership. OH MY GOD! This car absolutely blew my mind. The last reasonably fast car I drove was a new-ish 330i and it felt like a turd. You had to rev the nuts out of this thing to make it feel fast.

This Volvo had torque pretty much from idle. I never even floored and it still pulled me in the seat very hard. The sales rep had never actually been in the R and he was amazed how fast it was.

There were a few problems with this one though. It had the wrong transmission, and its price was too high. Yes, it only had 29k miles, but I can't afford to spend $25,000 on a car now.

The search continues for an early S60R with around 100k miles and preferably with orange seats and manual gearbox. I'm simply in love with this car.

Yeah, Citro?n C5 is just... like 4,8 meters of general car.
The new one is better, but still - it's no XM.
The C5 is the Xantia successor and equally boring. The C6 on the other side... just beautiful. Probably nothing for my liking because of too soft suspension, but if you don't need that, it's a beautiful exec saloon... most beautiful and stylish this side of a Maserati Quattroporte.

You're totally right, but I find even the Xantia to be much more intresting than the C5. True, apart from the Activa it was too uncitro?n, but at least it didn't look bad and seems to be suprisingly reliable.

But yeah, I wouldn't buy the C6, but everytime I see one I'm glad somebody did.

Last edited:
Good news! I found this one instead:

http://www.kelolandautomall.com/show.aspx?vid=1619230&limit_body=

A little more expensive than I would like but looooow miles, and still almost everything I want in it. Aside from that damn street package, yeuch.

Yah that street package looks hideous...The fact that the car has no tachometer (A big pet peeve of mine...seeing a car with power windows etc..but no fucking tach. Saturn S-Series models came with them standard....so newer, better cars should too) doesn't help legitimize the "sport" pretensions either.

Guys, I have a big problem!

I test drove a blue S60R today at the dealership. OH MY GOD! This car absolutely blew my mind. The last reasonably fast car I drove was a new-ish 330i and it felt like a turd. You had to rev the nuts out of this thing to make it feel fast.

This Volvo had torque pretty much from idle. I never even floored and it still pulled me in the seat very hard. The sales rep had never actually been in the R and he was amazed how fast it was.

There were a few problems with this one though. It had the wrong transmission, and its price was too high. Yes, it only had 29k miles, but I can't afford to spend $25,000 on a car now.

The search continues for an early S60R with around 100k miles and preferably with orange seats and manual gearbox. I'm simply in love with this car.

I agree that is a great car. The one I was in had low profile(stock) tires that rubbed when you turned too hard.

Funny you should mention it, I noticed it too on my short test drive. I had to do a three-point-turn and it felt like the wheels rubbing in the wells.

They were supposed to start production this month, so I'm assuming so. :p

Had to change the oil in a mates Nissan Micra the other day... )Well, I just watched and made sure the jack wasn't going to move and crush anyone.)

Jacked up on a hill, on un-even ground, on gravel with one end of the jack in the air gently swaying whenever anyone touched anything... oh, and the jack was too big and cracked the slightly rusty metal around the jacking point. Got to say, I wouldn't have worked under that, I'd have put the car on the street and risked being arrested! :lol:
Of course as the car was jacked up the oil also didn't drain out of the hole, and when he unscrewed the oil filter he got oil all over himself.

Going under a car supported only by jack is just incredibly stupid (unless the car is Peel P50 :p). Even on even ground with tarmac, when car seems to be totally stable. Nissan Micra might not be heavy car, but that's not very comforting thought when the jack fails and you're between the car and the ground.

Going under a car supported only by jack is just incredibly stupid (unless the car is Peel P50 :p). Even on even ground with tarmac, when car seems to be totally stable. Nissan Micra might not be heavy car, but that's not very comforting thought when the jack fails and you're between the car and the ground.
Well the jack is rated to lift something like 2 tons, hence being too big for the jacking point, and there was an axle stand shoved under at a dodgy angle for good measure.