Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

well, merc's SLK and the crossfire share a lot of the same parts and i wouldnt put it past merc using crossfire headlamps to throw you off, could be the new SLK, but they're using those lights to throw the scent off.

I doubt it's a Caddy XLR tho

"He who drives a Volvo, shall experience endless pains and constant failures"
-Unknown

How to make an emotional rollercoaster:

1. "Test" your new clutch, brakes, and exhaust system on overpasses, underpasses, tunnels, and bridges. This may include a few WOT upshifts, but no speed limits broken or any other real limit-pushing.
2. See the flashing blue lights in your rear-view mirror mere moments after you let off a series of pops from your exhaust after your latest upshift.
3. Explode with relief as the cop actually pulls over the car directly behind you, letting you go completely scot-free.

Purely hypothetical, of course.

Saw this going to work today, what do y'all think it is? I'm thinking a Mercedes SLK or SL.

The front section (Especially the lights) seem to suggest it's a Mercedes of some sort, but that wouldn't make much sense since the new SLK was just recently launched and this doesn't look SL-sized. The rear seems to make me think of the Chrysler Crossfire for some odd reason though, and considering that it's got Michigan plates, that could be an option.

Last edited:
Why we don?t have targa cars anymore?
The metal folding roof killed it or was another thing?

Maybe I'm reading too much into the bodywork, but the haunches and grille have hints of Viper about it. Maybe a Miata-challenging roadster of some sort?

"He who drives a Volvo, shall experience endless pains and constant failures"
-Unknown

I gave up with my T5 and bought a Mustang GT. Outside of interior room it was superior in every way.

How to make an emotional rollercoaster:

1. "Test" your new clutch, brakes, and exhaust system on overpasses, underpasses, tunnels, and bridges. This may include a few WOT upshifts, but no speed limits broken or any other real limit-pushing.
2. See the flashing blue lights in your rear-view mirror mere moments after you let off a series of pops from your exhaust after your latest upshift.
3. Explode with relief as the cop actually pulls over the car directly behind you, letting you go completely scot-free.

Purely hypothetical, of course.

Needs more gunfire.

Last edited:
I gave up with my T5 and bought a Mustang GT. Outside of interior room it was superior in every way.

Considering you got a SN95, that really says a lot :lol:

I don't know, I can't explain it. It really is a disease.

For $10k I can either get a 2003 Jag XJR or a 2003 Volvo S60 T5, and somehow I'm leaning towards the Volvo again.

It hasn't gone on fire yet? :p

Nope. :D :( Sorta happy, kinda sad bout that but oh well!

It's been pushed to the garage. Wasn't worth getting it towed as the garage was pretty much across the street from where my car was:

http://img10.imageshack.**/img10/7863/garageb.png

Blue arrow is where my car was at CVS. Red arrow is where the car sits now, with green obviously the path. It looks a lot longer than it took/felt. My dad pushed the car out of it's spot, and pushed it via his car to the garage. I drove. :)

They'll look at the car on monday. At least the car's over there, although i'm going to return their phone call they gave me when i was busy tomorrow.

The front section (Especially the lights) seem to suggest it's a Mercedes of some sort, but that wouldn't make much sense since the new SLK was just recently launched and this doesn't look SL-sized. The rear seems to make me think of the Chrysler Crossfire for some odd reason though, and considering that it's got Michigan plates, that could be an option.

The chances of this being a new Crossfire are nil.

I've been looking at suspension, wheels and tyres for my car over the last couple of days.

So much for keeping it nice, simple and stock :lol:

I know its not worth it, but my urge to tinker with things is kicking in.

Last edited:
The Fabia RS is the same price here as the Polo GTI. What the fuck, I thought Skodas were supposed to be cheaper than VWs.
Looks like in the UK the Fabia is 2500 pounds cheaper than the Polo.

Last edited:
hm... that would've been an eos maybe?
Ahh, yeah, the new face lifted model. Seems like VAG wants all their cars to look exactly the same. :lol:

Edit, you know, the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure the car I saw was a soft top though. Hmm... wish I could have gotten a closer look at it.

Could be the GTi Edition 35.

2011-volkswagen-golf-gti-edition-35-1.jpg

Maybe, but it had the lower bumper grills of the Golf R:

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/to/tomcat/2011/05/14/01vw_uk_golf_sci_r2.jpg

Every time I see something interesting, it's driving the other direction and I can't get a photo of it. I only ever got some decent photos of a Scirocco R about 2 years ago.

Last edited:
I love the Scirocco, I wish they sold them here. I would throw the dice on VW's reliablity to own one of those.

This weeks random thought: Who in the name of holy Jesus would pay the equivalent to 55.000 Euro (78.000 USD) for an Opel Astra stationwagon? I guess/hope nobody, but thats the price of the press car I'm in charge of next week anyway. Something's wrong in the state of Denmark.

This weeks random thought: Who in the name of holy Jesus would pay the equivalent to 55.000 Euro (78.000 USD) for an Opel Astra stationwagon?
Danes mostly.

Could be the GTi Edition 35.

2011-volkswagen-golf-gti-edition-35-1.jpg

That looks just like the bumper on the stock GTI, I don't think that's what TomCat is spotting. Plus these Golf special editions are mostly only cosmetic mods so it wouldn't make much sense for VAG to be doing extensive testing on them.

By the way, I don't dig that at all... the wheels, the LEDs, the mismatched wing mirrors - it's all a big bowl of meh.

Edit: So apparently this one does have a special engine as well, go VW. Still, as far as the bumper goes it's nearly identical to the normal one for the GTI.

Last edited: