Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yep, if I do get a 2008-09 Taurus, it will be FWD only for me. Less to go wrong mechanically.

(Although I do want a Limited, so I would probably have all sorts of problems as the electrics age.)

The Taurus shares a great deal with the Volvo S80. My mom's 1999 S80 has only had one light for the dash burn out as it aged, everything else still works perfectly.

Honestly the SEL is not lacking for features, Kiki's has dual climate control, a multi-disc MP3 player, Aux input, cruise control, steering wheel controls, auto-dimming mirror, power seats, heated mirrors, fog lights, external temperature display, and other goodies.

Last edited:
One for the Miata nerds: did NB Miatas come equipped with the Torsen? What's a way to tell (short of calling Mazda with the VIN)?

not a miata nerd at all, but i think only the turbo models came with an LSD, could be wrong though, see lower posts for confirmation :D

The Taurus shares a great deal with the Volvo S80. My mom's 1999 S80 has only had one light for the dash burn out as it aged, everything else still works perfectly.

Honestly the SEL is not lacking for features, Kiki's has dual climate control, a multi-disc MP3 player, Aux input, cruise control, steering wheel controls, auto-dimming mirror, power seats, heated mirrors, fog lights, external temperature display, and other goodies.

Though if you get either an SEL or Limited with heated seats, I've heard rumors that those have a lot of electrical faults.

Oh, and gas mileage for longer road trips isn't that bad - we got 26.3 mpg on the last trip. It's technically supposed to get 28 mpg, but I've never been able to get it that high.

I drove with my brother on his learner's permit yesterday, and we took my mother's car as he's a bit afraid of mine :)D).

Naturally, this means I drove back, and it's been a long time since I've driven a car other than my own. 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. It was such a boat! I fell in love with my car all over again after that. What's frightening is that the Lincoln should have been a competent car by any measure, and I hated it.

... I've been spoiled.

Though if you get either an SEL or Limited with heated seats, I've heard rumors that those have a lot of electrical faults.

Oh, and gas mileage for longer road trips isn't that bad - we got 26.3 mpg on the last trip. It's technically supposed to get 28 mpg, but I've never been able to get it that high.

We were also doing 80-90 mph and had the climb up the canyon and all the construction zones to deal with.

Kiki is right about the heated seats, that is a known fault in the Taurus with that option - but that's really the only electrical problem I know about.

Last edited:
Thanks - that's good to know. The gas mileage you got was pretty good, too. Especially for a large, AWD car. I imagine the FWD version might actually get up to 28 mpg. As much as I want a Mustang GT or Lincoln MKZ, I imagine I could be happy with a Taurus. And getting the Limited would help me feel better about not getting the MKZ.

But we'll see. I won't be getting a new car until October anyway. Plenty of time for me to decide what would be the best car for me both on the cross-country trip and when I get home.

I have a question regarding the yearly safety inspection rules for my fellow members in the US.

My car has a valid WV inspection sticker till 04/12. In August I am moving to Colorado and will get CO plates. Do I have to get a CO inspection right away, or is the WV inspection still good?

Usually you have to get a new inspection for whichever state you register your car in, but check the DMV website for details; normally they'll have a straightforward checklist of what to do with a car that you register.

I have a question regarding the yearly safety inspection rules for my fellow members in the US.

My car has a valid WV inspection sticker till 04/12. In August I am moving to Colorado and will get CO plates. Do I have to get a CO inspection right away, or is the WV inspection still good?

As far as I know of Colorado, only a few certain counties require an inspection, while a bunch of them don't. You'll just have to go to the website for the county you'll be in to see.

In order for me to register my car when I moved here, I had to get a VIN verification and emissions done. VIN verification can be done at any dealership for free. Colorado bends you over for the first year of registration, be warned. You'll need insurance of course.

So after discovering (something which I should have known ages ago) that my parents won't be in from the 20th I'm now having my wheels delivered to me at uni. I bet the postroom will love me - delivering 4 17" wheels and tyres to campus :lol:

In order for me to register my car when I moved here, I had to get a VIN verification and emissions done. VIN verification can be done at any dealership for free. Colorado bends you over for the first year of registration, be warned. You'll need insurance of course.

Thank! I'll be in Boulder county, so I guess I'll have to follow the same procedure. I guess I'll have to sell my current car in the first 30 days and not even bother registering it in Colorado. When I get the new one, I'll go through all the hoops of registration and emission testing.

Just curious - how much approximately is car registration in Colorado? In West Virginia it's a measly $30 per year.

Getting ready to haul my butt off to spectate the lemons race. This'll be the first time I've actually had a chance to properly watch one of these things.

So I found a car in the online classifieds and asked my parents to go to the dealer and have a look at it. They were impressed. Very impressed. They said they were going to get it for themselves. Damn backstabbing, double agent, treacherous parents!

So I found a car in the online classifieds and asked my parents to go to the dealer and have a look at it. They were impressed. Very impressed. They said they were going to get it for themselves. Damn backstabbing, double agent, treacherous parents!
In the words of nelson: HAHA!

One for the Miata nerds: did NB Miatas come equipped with the Torsen? What's a way to tell (short of calling Mazda with the VIN)?

Nope, as above said I believe it was just the turbo versions that got em, as well as the 10th anniversary edition. To test you can position your car so one rear wheel is on the road and the other on dirt/mud or something then apply powerrrr. If the muddy wheel keeps spinning you have an open diff, if not then you probably have an LSD. I have an NB but stuck a torsen II in it, very very pleased with the results :)