Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

221892-vlcsnap_2010_05_25_04h45m32s211_super.jpg

Got to have a go in quite a few cars the past two days.

First up, the Audi A1 Sport, the one with the Polo GTI 1.4L engine. This was my first DSG experience and I was impressed. The car rides nicely, corners sharply, the gearbox was quick and smooth at speed but a little jerky down low, and there was a delay between hitting the accelerator and the car actually moving, which was unnerving at times. The manual mode was good, and the thing pulls very strongly and makes a nice deep growl. Thanks to the twincharger setup, there was no turbo lag either. I was also very impressed with the interior, it's a very nice place to sit. The S-Line pack makes it suitably sporty, too, inside and out. IMO it looks great, properly aggressive even though it's a bit of a cafe car.

Next, the new RenaultSport Clio 200 Gordini. A world apart from mine in terms of space and interior quality. Lovely soft touch dash, and everything looked quality, which is not something my car displays very well. It's still great fun to drive, everything was sharper than the Audi. I fell a little bit in love with it, actually. Basically, it kept everything I love about my car, and improved the bits that I don't love so much, even though the Gordini is a bit chintzy, with its embossed stripes and blue interior accents. I'd save a couple of grand and go for a normal 200 Cup. I may just have to save up a bit quicker...

After this, the Volvo C30 T5. Oh deary me. This just isn't a hot hatch. It's a fast hatch, yes, but it's not fun. The steering is too light, the clutch has no feel, and it wallows about too much. Shame, because with the R-Design pack it looks awesome. The interior is nice too, though not as nice as the Audi. Other than that, it just felt a bit too safe and sedate. There were warning beeps for everything, and you can't hear the magnificent 5-cylinder engine (I have no complaints about the engine) unless you really give it the berries. I'd love to try a Focus ST (or an RS) to see what that engine would be like in a proper hot hatch.

And I also went for a ride in a Jag XF-R.
JABGKBAKSDNFLANWNKJFOINB AVSNAINLKAJK DVASVJNKDV DO WANT MMMMM
Awesome car. That noise, that power, those looks. Fuck and indeed yes.

Last edited:
Oil change with Valvoline 10W40 MaxLife for a change. Let's see if the engine holds it in a bit better.

Yes the Iron Duke. It never claimed to be a race engine.

Are you sure? I'm almost positive Jeeps never came with the Duke. I think they used an AMC 2.5 engine.

Oil change with Valvoline 10W40 MaxLife for a change. Let's see if the engine holds it in a bit better.
It worked on the Volvo. It was leaking with Mobil 1, but with MaxLife I have no problems at all.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone to Admiral; the Saab is insured. Going to have lunch then call the DVLA for tax. Then not crash.

It worked on the Volvo. It was leaking with Mobil 1, but with MaxLife I have no problems at all.

Heh, usually when I park the car and go check it out later, there's a coin-sized drop underneath; now there's no drop. Good sign.

Are you sure? I'm almost positive Jeeps never came with the Duke. I think they used an AMC 2.5 engine.

You could get the Iron Duke from 80 to 83 in the CJ before development of the AMC I4 finished. The XJ Cherokee never had the Iron Duke though, it only had the AMC I4.

I used Valvoline Maxlife 5W40 couple of years in 406 in Finland and oil consumption was about 2dl/1000km, so okay for 300k driven car. But then I found out, that on German Autobahns the 406 drank a bit more, sometimes close to 4dl/1000km. I got 7dl/1000km when going almost constantly around 175km/h for 300kms. Something you probably shouldn't do with a 300k km driven car with top speed just a bit over 200. :D I don't do that regularly, but I still tried Mobil 5W40 when I had to change the oil, and with that I've got less than 2dl/1000km consumption on Autobahn. I guess the viscosity of the MaxLife drops more when it gets really hot, because in normal driving it was totally okay.

Yes the Iron Duke. It never claimed to be a race engine.

I believe its number one claim was that it wasn't an unreliable POS like the FE head AL block I4 it replaced.

As much hate as the iron duke gets, it was a trusty little motor. Despite it's HP shortcomings.

I beat the piss out of my Duke and then slapped a supercharger on it and beat on it some more.

I was refering to most applications where the 2.8 V6 was also available. I also bet the the AMC 2.5 was better than it too.

I signed the paperwork on a new vehicle today. Now just to wait for it to come in and be ready for delivery. :D

I signed the paperwork on a new vehicle today. Now just to wait for it to come in and be ready for delivery. :D

Nice. Do we get to know what it is? or do we have to wait on a PYC thread?

Got to have a go in quite a few cars the past two days.

Next, the new RenaultSport Clio 200 Gordini. A world apart from mine in terms of space and interior quality. Lovely soft touch dash, and everything looked quality, which is not something my car displays very well. It's still great fun to drive, everything was sharper than the Audi. I fell a little bit in love with it, actually. Basically, it kept everything I love about my car, and improved the bits that I don't love so much, even though the Gordini is a bit chintzy, with its embossed stripes and blue interior accents. I'd save a couple of grand and go for a normal 200 Cup. I may just have to save up a bit quicker...
Funny you should mention that.. A couple of days ago I noticed that my local Volvo (and Renault, but they hardly know what a Renault is) dealership had a used 197 in stock, so I decided to try it out, you know, just in case I win the lottery tomorrow. I never thought that I would get to drive it on my own, but apparently they don't mind letting 19-year-olds having a solo go in a Clio 197. Good to know.

I do agree with you on the quality and feel of the interior. It is also a much more spacious car. The driving position is miles better for a tall person. It is a better car than the likes of ours for shopping and all the things I use my car for roughly 90% of the time.

However, I did not think that it was as fun to drive. First of all, I was really surprised by the lack of throttle response. Both the 172 ph2 and the 197 are fly-by-wire and I can't believe that the 197 felt worse, even when everything was up to temperature. I don't know if it was just that car, but when free-wheeling it really lacked response (I'm one of those weird people still living in the 30's, I always double-clutch and heel-and-toe).

Also, I was not really impressed by its cornering. Sure, it was flatter through the corners and had better drive out of slow corners, but the front just washed away all the time in for example a round-about. With my car I can play around, chuck it in or lift off to get a bit of movement going, but in this? Nothing.

On the positives though, it was really good on the brakes. Torque-steer was non-existing compared to my Clio. It felt a bit more planted at times, when my car would have moved around, with is both good and bad. The 197 could very probably be quicker for a lap around the track. It is a much better car. But a better toy? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that.. A couple of days ago I noticed that my local Volvo (and Renault, but they hardly know what a Renault is) dealership had a used 197 in stock, so I decided to try it out, you know, just in case I win the lottery tomorrow. I never thought that I would get to drive it on my own, but apparently they don't mind letting 19-year-olds having a solo go in a Clio 197. Good to know.
I agree it wasn't as fun to drive as the 172, but to be honest I never really get to push it to the limit anyway. Most of my driving is done around town, and the new Clio was still great fun to drive. I'd happily give up a little bit of the sharpness and handling for a back seat that I wouldn't feel bad about putting people in, and a much nicer interior. And cruise control, I'd love cruise control.

Speaking of back seats, the A1s was worse even than my old Clio. No headroom and the seats make your back hurt after five minutes.

Last edited: