Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I've been doing more Volvo research for my future vehicle. There seem to be very few good options. The best cars in terms of performance and reliability seem to be the 1998 S70 T5M, and the 2003 and 2004 S60 T5M. Any other year, or any other trim level (especially automatics) are likely to develop costly and inevitable repairs.

Much like the XJR which was best between 95 and 97, the Volvos mentioned above are pretty much bulletproof. The hunt begins.

And unlike the XJs the Volvo costs more to fix.

RainX is awesome. RainX-1 Colorado Monsoon-0. Everyones' wiper blades are on super fast crazy mode. Mine? Off.
It's great stuff indeed. I keep a little bottle under the seat of my motorcycle just in case I hit some rain.

Well, yes, but that's worst case scenario. He lives in Pennsylvania so he might be able to find a blind Buy American type to take it off his hands for $50 or so. :p
Last year I bought a '93 SL2 for $300, put a junkyard hood and windshield on it, changed the fluids and sold it for $800. I even had 3 people show up at the same time, cash in hand. :lmao:

And unlike the XJs the Volvo costs more to fix.
Where did you get that info? Everything I have had to replace on the 850 so far has been pretty much the same price as any Honda/Toyota or other boring daily drivers. Of course, I don't go to the stealership for my repairs. They are actually fairly simple and easy to maintain cars.

Except the S60R that's a completely different beast.

I've been judging this off your suspension woes. Also L6 Jags don't use belts and have lots of free room in the engine bay.

volvo850engine.jpg

20090617210729!Jaguar_AJ16_4.0_engine_(1995_XJ)_left_view.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh yes the suspension...it does create problems, but again they are relatively cheap to fix. As far as room in the engine bay - there is actually plenty of room to work in there. It's certainly a lot better compared to a 2.7 A4 or a Nissan with the VQ35.

180k service next week. Oil change, brake lining check, cabin and AC filter replacement.

Ahhh yes the suspension...it does create problems, but again they are relatively cheap to fix. As far as room in the engine bay - there is actually plenty of room to work in there. It's certainly a lot better compared to a 2.7 A4 or a Nissan with the VQ35.

What do you need to remove to replace the timing belt? From my experience the Jag suspension is cheap to fix due to the fact it doesn't need to be fixed.

Last edited:
What do you need to remove to replace the timing belt? From my experience the Jag suspension is cheap to fix due to the fact it doesn't need to be fixed.

The XJ never need strut replacements?

As for the timing belt - I need to remove the plastic cover, take off the passenger side wheel, remove the wheel well, and then the usual - tensioners, pulleys and belts. Not really that difficult, I don't understand why shops charge 6 hours of labor for it.

The XJ never need strut replacements?

As for the timing belt - I need to remove the plastic cover, take off the passenger side wheel, remove the wheel well, and then the usual - tensioners, pulleys and belts. Not really that difficult, I don't understand why shops charge 6 hours of labor for it.

I did replace the struts, the trunk opens up much better now. :p Neither I nor a PO have and the car feels and runs fine (Jag has ~150k miles on it).

Last edited:
Quessing from the small noises that come from my Peugeot's driver's side front strut, its starting to give up. Maybe after 205 000 miles with original struts it had to be expected. :p

I haggled them down to 1050? in the end, and they realigned the tyres and the steering wheel for free, but I still feel ripped off....

Not even 24hrs passed before that feeling materialised into reality....
Not that many of you care, but I'll use this thread to vent

I went in for technical inspection today, and passed. That's the only good thing. While I was there I noticed the dealer "forgot" to replace one broken brake light, one rear light, and that they attached the shiny new exhaust with 1 rubber strap thingy instead of 2.

I'm going over there first thing tomorrow and DEMAND they fix all these things for free, or I'll tear someone a now a-hole

Do these people not know the meaning of "fix everything and make sure it passes inspection without flaw"?
(there is a very minute chance the light bulbs decided between yesterday afternoon and this morning to go pop, but I choose not to believe in chance)

Quessing from the small noises that come from my Peugeot's driver's side front strut, its starting to give up. Maybe after 205 000 miles with original struts it had to be expected. :p

You know something is wrong when a French car is more reliable than a Volvo. :p

I found this. It has a better interior and struts which don't disintegrate every 10,000 miles.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2452977912.html

Last edited:
I went in for technical inspection today, and passed. That's the only good thing. While I was there I noticed the dealer "forgot" to replace one broken brake light, one rear light, and that they attached the shiny new exhaust with 1 rubber strap thingy instead of 2.

How did you pass inspection with broken lights?

You know something is wrong when a French car is more reliable than a Volvo. :p

Haha :D Actually the 406 should be totally reliable apart from certain models. They're from a time when Peugeot found out what "electronics" mean, but luckily also before they found this new wizardy called CAN-bus (well, last MY cars have CAN. Avoid :D). I know four examples, all of which have something between 120-200k miles, including my own and none of them have had any problems which are no caused by normal wear, apart from failing front springs and rusting sills (good rust protection all around totally fucked up by couple of spot welds). But those two problems are in every single example at least on our salt-loving Finnish roads with 100% certainty, so that's pretty constant reliability :D

How did you pass inspection with broken lights?

Sheer luck. I was amazed that I passed in the first place, as soon as I noticed the broken lights I thought well there's another 38? down the drain but the guy was real nice and was all "well I shouldn't let you off but just fix those lights and you wont have to come back since the car is in such good shape on all other tests"

Sheer luck. I was amazed that I passed in the first place, as soon as I noticed the broken lights I thought well there's another 38? down the drain but the guy was real nice and was all "well I shouldn't let you off but just fix those lights and you wont have to come back since the car is in such good shape on all other tests"

Here's hoping I run into an MOT inspector like that aswell.. Anyway, random thought: Tested my new "HD-video!" cheapo camera. Sure enough, the resolution is HD, but the video quality is more "phone camera". Oh well, for a 40? bishbashbosh "drunk cam" it'll be fine. :)

Sample providing further evidence of the Sierra actually running (and further questions as to why it still isn't on the road.)

Well done for passing the safety inspection!

Some MOT testing places are reasonable and help to fix minor things, mine was ONE wiper replaced last time which they did for ?5.

(And of course we car about you & your car, but please bring back the parrot Eagle for your avi, I keep not recognizing you.

:)