Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I just don't like the way they look. By the way, since my new apartment is right next to my university, the car won't be needed as a daily driver. It will be back as a weekend cruiser in the twisty mountain roads of Colorado.

Saw this on Retro Rides, Yugo 45 with the best/worst interior you've ever seen.

P1010553.jpg

P1010555.jpg

P1010556.jpg

P1010557.jpg

P1010558.jpg

P1010560.jpg

P1010563.jpg

1988. :lol:

Hey, that looks like every '70s-and-forwards-made American car I've seen. :p

Also, in before Merc63, "interior quality doesn't matter."

Last edited:
I just don't like the way they look. By the way, since my new apartment is right next to my university, the car won't be needed as a daily driver. It will be back as a weekend cruiser in the twisty mountain roads of Colorado.

I would avoid hitting the pedal bikers. They like the mountain roads too.

Also you will be 5,750 feet (1,750 m) up in Boulder. It doesn't take long to be 9-11k feet up. Make sure you keep that in mind when you calculate the hp your perspective car will produce. I would just take 15 to 18% off any NA engine.

Hey, that looks like every '70s-and-forwards-made American car I've seen. :p

Also, in before Merc63, "interior quality doesn't matter."

It's not plush enough to be american.

Looks more like 80s Japanese to me. I kind of like it TBH.

Why then are you searching for luxury saloon instead of a sports car then?

Good news! My new vehicle will be ready for delivery tomorrow and then we can see whose guess was the closest :p

Cruising twisty mountain roads in a big Volvo? I can't imagine hell being much worse. Seeing the awesome Colorado twists and turns and you're stuck behind the wheel of an oil barge that won't play ball however much you push it.

I guess it's the Volvo way.

Why then are you searching for luxury saloon instead of a sports car then?

Because I go places with friends. I like road trips. Having just two seats will be a bit of an inconvenience. Plus, I prefer sedans. I used to like sporty coupes when I was younger, but not anymore.

I'd either get a sports sedan, or a supercar. Nothing in between.

I think the point is that while it is a particularly sporty Volvo, it's not a particularly sporty sedan :p

Personally I went for "in-between."

Has anyone ever noticed how those LED DRLs on Audi's turn off when the turn signal is on. Why? Looks really dumb when it does that.
Yesy they dim. And that is one of the two things that show how shitty the indicators are placed. The other thing is the fact they (not only Audi) now put the additional side indicators into the wing mirrors because the front indicators can't be seen anymore if the headlights are on.

Because I go places with friends. I like road trips. Having just two seats will be a bit of an inconvenience. Plus, I prefer sedans. I used to like sporty coupes when I was younger, but not anymore.

I'd either get a sports sedan, or a supercar. Nothing in between.

You do realize several of the Scandinavian members here have said the Volvo S60 you are looking at is far from a sports car?

If it is anything like the 850 Mustangs will be corning far better than you. :p

Last edited:
Back in 2003, Clarkson wrote a column about convertibles. In it is this little gem:

Clarkson said:
In fact, the only cabrios men can buy are the Mazda MX-5, the Toyota MR2, the Merc CLK, the Alfa Spider (just), the Lotus Elise, the Honda S2000, the Jaguar XKR, the DB7, the 360 Ferrari and, obviously, all TVRs.

Interesting choice of CLK in there, seeing as it's a four-seat soft cruisemobile. No comment on the first two examples he uses :mrgreen:

If I were looking sporty car with okay seating for four and I was totally fine with $4000 repairs I'd consider E46 sedan with maybe an M-Sport pack. You might lose on power against T5 or R, but the difference in handling is like a night and day. Of course there are many other good alternatives as well, some of those have already been suggested.

How's the handling between Focus-based S40/V50 and S60? :) And E46 for example should be a much more nimble than the heavy Legacy...

[video=youtube;Jfqw9Fktp-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfqw9Fktp-U[/video]

Less luxurious

SVT Contour

800px-Ford-SVT-Contour.jpg

SVT did such a good job that Ford later brought it to the European market where it is was much loved.

Yeah, the 1st Gen ST200 Mondeo should be great. Shame that most of them are rusting pretty quickly here, I'd love to get one when they depreciate a bit more. The ST220 from later Mondeo should also be a blast to drive.

^ Mondeo ST220 or ST200, fun cars to attack curvy roads with indeed.