Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The Murano looks taller than it actually is. Also, women buy Jeep Wrangler 2WDs for the same reason.

they have such a thing?

they have such a thing?

Aside from government contract TJs and such (which were 2WD and made to be as cheap as possible for fleet sales) the Wrangler was available in 2WD from 2007-2010.

Mercedes thought it was a good idea. Between that and the Compass should be enough proof that Mercedes doesn't have clue one about the US market outside of the luxury sector.

Mostly it was women buyers who picked them up; fortunately not enough that Cerberus or Fiat thought it was worth continuing.

However, with the demise of the PT Cruiser convertible and Wrangler 2WD, there's now a small but significant female buyer segment that wants something like it and has no other product to buy.

Last edited:
So... they'd live with twin solid axles, only one of which is driven, for a slightly higher driving position... I don't understand.

And also, this. Friend had to do some pretty crazy shit to get in.

224505_941489665064_6300014_41812144_6458305_n.jpg

Although the CrossConvertible is, by all apperances, batshit insane....I love it because of how outlandish and different it is.

So... they'd live with twin solid axles, only one of which is driven, for a slightly higher driving position... I don't understand.

Women also used to buy these:

90125011990415-480.jpg

Apparently there are some women that will buy anything with a convertible top. Including something that had such a low payload that once you stuck your male shopping companion (AKA poor put-upon boyfriend) in the passenger seat, you couldn't actually carry much shopping back with you. The maximum you could legally load in the car was 388lbs. Assuming average 180lb male and 100lb female plus 65lbs of gasoline to fill the tank, you're looking at being able to carry a whopping 43lbs home - that's less than two canisters of kitty litter for the cat. Even less if you weighed more.

Last edited:

And also, this. Friend had to do some pretty crazy shit to get in.

224505_941489665064_6300014_41812144_6458305_n.jpg

I would of let the air out of that tire if that was my car(out of the valve). Yes, I know it is a dick move, almost as much of a dick move as parking right next to the car. I drive boats ( Big oversized American tankS) and can park within the damn lines, why can't everyone else????

That reminds me, the other day some douche bag parked a WRX so that the front end stuck out over the space to the left and the back stuck out over the space to the right side and it was not sideways across the space. Seriously??? How much more space does that tiny car need? (Compared to my Roadmaster) I really wish drivers had to get re-tested to get their license. And that cops would ticket shit like that and a few of them would trigger another drivers test.

I really wish drivers had to get re-tested to get their license. And that cops would ticket shit like that and a few of them would trigger another drivers test.

"But but but but but... that would discriminate against women and minorities and the elderly and the poor and and and..."

:rolleyes: No kidding, that's the rationale given in many places when someone suggests exactly this. Apparently being required to re-certify basic driving skills more than once a decade at best is some sort of racial/gender/ageist/economic discrimination or something these days. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can I confiscate the WRX as punishment for parking it like an asshat? :D

I don't know it that would help. There is barely anything on a drivers test that is relative to actual driving. I think mine consisted of stopping at a stop sign, pulling up to the curb and reversing and driving the speed limit. The only useful thing out of that is the stop sign and you learn that in kindergarten.

Had that happen to me outside a chemist's shop once, it was (unsurprisingly) done by a beige Camry - undoubtedly the brilliant work of some incredibly ancient, decrepit human being. After waiting for ten minutes or so and already late for an appointment, I gave up waiting for the driver to turn up so could personally point out the inconvenience they'd caused me by squeezing me against a wall with both left side wheels over the line and well into my parking space. So, I opened the driver's door just enough to reach forwards and get my key into the ignition (took a lot of stretching and twisting and left me with a sore left shoulder and arm), twisted again to lower to window (didn't even realise my arms were that flexible) pulled my arm out again and climbed in the opened window.

Lucky for me I am so small, young and fit and can do that. If I'd been a fellow old codger I would've been stuck there until the idiot moved their car.

Seems I have people parking over the line at my driver's side almost everyday. Whether its at work or while out at lunch. People cannot park these days. Could fill up the bad parking thread just by walking out in our work lot.

Worst was out at lunch a month ago or so, came out to a FL car 5 inches from my driver's side, yet she had 5 feet on the other side. Her car got some damage as my fat ass had to squeeze in (one leg in, butt on headrest, other leg in, and slide down into seat). Door is so long on my G35 the small spaces are a pain normally without people being closer than normal.

Last edited:
How does AWD makes things harder?
I can tell you I had a somewhat harder time with the A4 than I did with the del Sol or the 240. Logically though I would guess that AWD should be harder to take off in because of extra friction from all 4 tires. Though I must disclaimer this with Audi having a STUPID light clutch with 0 communication for the driver.
Aside from government contract TJs and such (which were 2WD and made to be as cheap as possible for fleet sales) the Wrangler was available in 2WD from 2007-2010.

Mercedes thought it was a good idea. Between that and the Compass should be enough proof that Mercedes doesn't have clue one about the US market outside of the luxury sector.

Mostly it was women buyers who picked them up; fortunately not enough that Cerberus or Fiat thought it was worth continuing.

However, with the demise of the PT Cruiser convertible and Wrangler 2WD, there's now a small but significant female buyer segment that wants something like it and has no other product to buy.
Afaik Murano comes in FWD and AWD configurations, not sure about the drop top but the hardtop does.

Last edited:
Looks like Murano Cabrio is either FWD or AWD, but looks like it may be hard to find/get in FWD only as almost any package includes AWD. Standard option on Cabrio is AWD. And even as a Nissan fan I can't recommend anyone pay $47k+ for that car.

AWD would be toughier to learn manual on if there isn't enough torque, the AWD is going to make it easier to stall.

Last edited:
Why do stupid things like that exist.

Because people like me would like to think about it as the modern day bronco 'convertible'....

1977-ford-bronco.jpg

Yeah.....I'm gonna go away now.......

Last edited:
All that Fiat 500 stuff.
The US currently gets what I basically bought, a 1.4 pop (the US has a 5 speed and a different engine, although it displaces the same)
I drove the 1.2 and it felt great enough for me to dump my 200+ hp GTI in favor of it.

The dealer has told me that my car is in the country, and in the final stages of the (overly bureocratic) customs process. Maybe I?ll have it by early next week.

I hope to pay it off in about 3 years and then order me some shweet Abarth Esseesse piece of Italian scrumptiousness.
Have I mentioned I love the car?

technically he's still barely within the lines (on the line is still in, ask John McEnroe)...but still being a huge jerk

70% of my coworkers park like this.... :roll:
More often than not I do squeeze myself in a spot only to come to the conclusion that I can fit the car in, but can't get out (even if I bang my door, I'm wider than 5cms)

This usually makes me FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, curse humanity, give up and search for another spot

I drove the 1.2 and it felt great enough for me to dump my 200+ hp GTI in favor of it.

Am I reading this correctly? You're willingly switching from a 1.8 Golf GTI to a 1.2 Fiat 500? Do they handle that well or are you a) Fiat fanboy b) insane or c)rickhamilton?

Oh no no no! I?m switching to the barn storming powerhouse of a Fiat 500 1.4, not the measly 1.2.

Actually, I?m a diehard VAG fan, the Fiat will definately be the odd one out at the family gatherings...

The 500 is so much of a go kart (from what I felt on my friend?s 1.2) that its hillariously fun to drive. You can feel every one of those 600 odd kilos it weighs less than the Golf, if the 1.2 is fun, can?t wait for my 1.4! (Abarth was too dear over here, closing in on $40k :( )