Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'm thinking Rick might have to give up his title. I'm starting to think that this might be a good deal. It's not an M5, but a torquey V8 could be kind of fun on the freeways and thanks to GM depreciation, it's half what it would have been 3 years ago new.

Failwheel drive, not great reliability, and Government Motors.

Shoot me now, a friend just asked me for a car recommendation and I honestly cant think of anything other than keep his current car. He has a MKV GTI.

He has a budget of "40's" whatever that means, insists on new and wants something that, to directly transcribe his text message, has:

"New car smell. (har har) sporty handling, decent power, practical use and decent gas mileage, this one will be an automatic since I work in houston. Sat nav and bitchin speakers are cool too, but id imagine once you go sporty those might be included already. Halogen or xenon headlamps. A road bike disassembled must fit no problem.

So maybe a german wagon? A MKVI GTI? I really have no idea, just that the Volvo C40 he asked me about is a god awful idea and worse than his GTI.

Last edited:
2011 Mustang V6? By dissembled does he mean both wheels off? If so he might be able to fit it in the trunk with the back seats folded down.

Shoot me now, a friend just asked me for a car recommendation and I honestly cant think of anything other than keep his current car. He has a MKV GTI.

He has a budget of 40k insists on new and wants something that, to directly transcribe his text message, has:

So maybe a german wagon? A MKVI GTI? I really have no idea, just that the Volvo C40 he asked me about is a god awful idea and worse than his GTI.

WRX hatch, or Mini Clubman if don't like him that much.

Failwheel drive, not great reliability, and Government Motors.

I know, I know - and if The Truth About Cars hadn't given the Super such a good review I wouldn't even have considered it. (Although their review was peppered liberally with the phrase "for a Buick".)

And it's probably because I'm getting older, but fail-wheel-drive is starting to be less of a deal-breaker for me. If the majority of my driving is going to be done on 2 lane roads with a 50mph speed limit - or wide, smooth interstates - is it really that important to have an imported RWD sports sedan? Plus the handling dynamics of a Buick Super and, say, a Mercury Grand Marquis are not really that dissimilar.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I will don my flame-proof pants and prepare to turn in my petrolhead card...

I assume he means only one wheel off

Is a hitch out of the question? A hitch is about a million times better anyhow. The only thing better is a truck or Buick Roadmaster Wagon. :p

24747_v3_1000.jpg

Last edited:
The A4 Avant is not bad, but it's a little down on power
I suggest you look for a B6 A4 Avant 1.8T (they are quite cheap) and do a stage 1+ APR tune on it, it will give you around 230ish at the crank. All it entails is a set of larger injectors and a chip tune (some Audi dealers will do it for you at cost actually), costs a grand for it all said and done. If you want something slightly bigger and softer from the Audi range look for a 2.7T A6 Avant, they came in manual and produced around 270ish HP, can be chipped easily (again just dl the tune from the web yourself if you have access to VAG-COM or do it from dealer) for some extra oomph. Suspension is a big softer though but also swapping suspension for something sportier is fairly chip, especially if you are handy with tools and can do it yourself.

I think there are some turbo Foresters you could look into, they would be fairly quick. Also, and this is very rare, the IS300 wagon DOES exist :)

I'm thinking Rick might have to give up his title. I'm starting to think that this might be a good deal. It's not an M5, but a torquey V8 could be kind of fun on the freeways and thanks to GM depreciation, it's half what it would have been 3 years ago new.

:lol: I think you might be right. JK, it seem's like a solid option. By your reaction to it though, it seems like your settling for it...which is kinda a bad idea. You don't want to buy something only to start resenting the decision.

Prizak mentioned turbo Forester's, and that sounds like a great idea. The last generation Forester was definetly more wagon in terms of appearance, size, and driving dynamics than the current one, and it was available with turbo power.

Last edited:
I just bought a new (used) car. A thread will come shortly in the next few days, I am too busy right now with school and bullshit DMV bureaucracy.

If there's anything I don't like about Colorado - it's the stupid DMV. The department that can help me resolve the issue is 30 miles away and is open only on Wednesdays from 8am to 12pm and 1pm to 3pm. WTF???

I just bought a new (used) car. A thread will come shortly in the next few days, I am too busy right now with school and bullshit DMV bureaucracy.

What's broken on it? :p

Nothing! And it's a sweet ride. Manual gearbox as well.

:lol: I think you might be right. JK, it seem's like a solid option. By your reaction to it though, it seems like your settling for it...which is kinda a bad idea. You don't want to buy something only to start resenting the decision.

Prizak mentioned turbo Forester's, and that sounds like a great idea. The last generation Forester was definetly more wagon in terms of appearance, size, and driving dynamics than the current one, and it was available with turbo power.

I actually do like the Super, it just feels almost like a left-brain decision right now. I know a Magnum would probably be the better car, but I look at the low mileage on that Buick and it looks like a more rational decision. I hate buying cars rationally.

Plus, I look at certain Buicks - and I fully expect to be neg-repped by Spectre for this - as American Jaguars. Obviously not the A-bodied Century, or the LeSabre; but certain models, like the supercharged Regal and Park Avenue and this LaCrosse Super. By "American Jaguar" I mean a car designed to carry 4 people at a reasonably quick pace for long distances with minimal discomfort. Only built for American superhighways rather than British A and B roads. In other words, "grace, pace, and space."

I actually do like the Super, it just feels almost like a left-brain decision right now. I know a Magnum would probably be the better car, but I look at the low mileage on that Buick and it looks like a more rational decision. I hate buying cars rationally.

Plus, I look at certain Buicks - and I fully expect to be neg-repped by Spectre for this - as American Jaguars. Obviously not the A-bodied Century, or the LeSabre; but certain models, like the supercharged Regal and Park Avenue and this LaCrosse Super. By "American Jaguar" I mean a car designed to carry 4 people at a reasonably quick pace for long distances with minimal discomfort. Only built for American superhighways rather than British A and B roads. In other words, "grace, pace, and space."

I always kinda liked those Buicks, although I've never sat in one, let alone driven one. I would check it out if I was you. The whole Failwheeldrive thing is a bit of a joke anyway. I love RWD, but all the RWD cars I've driven have been a bit crap. RWD all by itself doesn't mean a thing, if the rest of the car wasn't designed to take advantage of it. Even steering, which should be great on all RWD cars since there is hardly anything up front to dull the feel, I drove a V6 Chrysler 300 and I hated the steering on it. It was way too light and completely lifeless. The steering on my Si is infinitely better than what I experienced with that 300, not to mention handling and brakes and all that. Of course, I think FWD works best on small, light weight cars, rather than big luxury yachts, but who knows. Have to drive one first.

Unless you plan on racing it or destroying twisty canyon roads, buying a big lazy FWD car is hardly a problem, imo.