Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Ah well thank you! I'll have to sit down and do some number crunching before letting you all know about what I am doing and probably more talking with my Dad/Grandmother. Honestly I would just like to have a car that I actually paid with choice for and not have to wait around for a car that I may or may not have any say in getting (and is built to last longer than 100k miles). I'm always getting nagged and yelled at because I drive the car occasionally since it has high mileage. I can tell you for a fact that my Grandparents just bought it for a relative (whom didn't want it and was not very happy when they saw that part of the money they gave to buy a car had gone to it). I personally can tell all of you that it hasn't lived a very easy life in terms of driving and what it was used for (see: roof rack).

2010-scion-xb-5dr-wagon-auto-natl-angular-front-exterior-view_100257615_s.jpg

I just spent the last 4 hours driving one of those..... and it was absolutely awful. First off, I can't stand those centered gauge consoles. Really. I want to shoot who ever came up with that idea. Second of all, rear visibility is really terrible. And the "sport" manual mode is mentally handicapable.

It was my 2nd worst driving experience, with only the Honda Insight beating it.

I have heard told that center-mounted instruments are a safety feature - they improve forward vision and don't obstruct your view.

I don't buy it, however. I think the manufacturers are being cheap and mounting the IP in the center so as not to build two separate dashboards for the UK/Japan/Australia/NZ and the rest of the world.

Just looking for curiosity, I happened to stumble across this on the SF Craigslist:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2564864769.html

I think that I wasn't expecting one of those to be advertised for sale on Craigslist. (I'm not even sure it's for realsies, but that's the first one of an expensive car I've ever seen listed.)

Last edited:
I'm not seriously considering that! Haha. I am surprised someone would list one just up on Craigslist. I'd figure the seller would usually go through some higher end dealership or something. Maybe they wanted it to go to someone they could meet, or just didn't want a middleman? I dunno, still, wow.

If he went to a dealer he would get considerably less than $145K for it.

This way, he gets to sell for retail price, instead of wholesale.

I have heard told that center-mounted instruments are a safety feature - they improve forward vision and don't obstruct your view.

I don't buy it, however. I think the manufacturers are being cheap and mounting the IP in the center so as not to build two separate dashboards for the UK/Japan/Australia/NZ and the rest of the world.

With the speedo infront of you, you just need to look down. With the center mounted one, you need to look down and to the side. Bullshit on the safety feature. Plus I thought the xB was a US/Canada only car?

Also, I came up with a good comparison for it last night. The thing was as beige, boring and bland as a boxy Camry. They say Scion is a youth oriented brand? Makes me where Toyota found this so called "youth" and what kind of people they are.

Last edited:

Bullshit.

Can you see the very end of your hood over your instruments? Then the gauges don't interfere with your ability to see anything other than your own hood.

Yeah I defiantly feel more distracted looking at the radio or the dials in the middle of my dash then the controls in front. Luckily there is a lack of clutter in my car so I cam pretty much operate them all without looking.

With the speedo infront of you, you just need to look down. With the center mounted one, you need to look down and to the side. Bullshit on the safety feature. Plus I thought the xB was a US/Canada only car?

Also, I came up with a good comparison for it last night. The thing was as beige, boring and bland as a boxy Camry. They say Scion is a youth oriented brand? Makes me where Toyota found this so called "youth" and what kind of people they are.

Toyota is very good at marketing. They continue to create ad that target minority buyers and ads that create loyalty at younger ages. They are doing it right, which sucks, because that means we see more uninteresting cars on the road.

I just spent the last 4 hours driving one of those..... and it was absolutely awful. First off, I can't stand those centered gauge consoles. Really. I want to shoot who ever came up with that idea. Second of all, rear visibility is really terrible. And the "sport" manual mode is mentally handicapable.

It was my 2nd worst driving experience, with only the Honda Insight beating it.
I hate the stupid bar stool seating position in all those boxy things, also a problem in most non sporty cars, I like to sit low with my legs stretched out not as if I'm taking a shit....

Well, just when I narrow my car choices down, it looks like I may have to rethink my list. I thought I might have a budget of $20-22K USD to work with, now it seems that due to taxes, my budget would be more like $15-17K.

I still want a Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan or 2008-09 Ford Taurus, but instead of the top of the line SEL and Limited models with SYNC and leather, I will have to step down a bit to cloth and no SYNC.

What other V6 powered mid to large sized sedans are worth a look? I like the Altima, but Coco's experiences with the Failtima scare me - even if hers was the 2.5 and Coco is not your average Altima driver. I kind of like the Sonata and maybe the Azera as well. Mazda6s are nice, but V6 models are kind of hard to find in my price range.

If I'm forgetting anything, let me know. If you think any of the cars I've listed are not worthy of consideration, let me know. And as always, thanks.

I have been driving my Turbo for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love that engine. I can cruise calmly, getting excellent gas mileage. But when I feel like it, I can drop it into 3rd and get pushed back into the seat.

Yes, 236hp isn't a lot by today's standards, but the way the power is delivered is very exciting. Professional racing drivers may not like it, because it is not linear, but I think it's jolly exciting on the road.

Well, just when I narrow my car choices down, it looks like I may have to rethink my list. I thought I might have a budget of $20-22K USD to work with, now it seems that due to taxes, my budget would be more like $15-17K.

I still want a Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan or 2008-09 Ford Taurus, but instead of the top of the line SEL and Limited models with SYNC and leather, I will have to step down a bit to cloth and no SYNC.

What other V6 powered mid to large sized sedans are worth a look? I like the Altima, but Coco's experiences with the Failtima scare me - even if hers was the 2.5 and Coco is not your average Altima driver. I kind of like the Sonata and maybe the Azera as well. Mazda6s are nice, but V6 models are kind of hard to find in my price range.

If I'm forgetting anything, let me know. If you think any of the cars I've listed are not worthy of consideration, let me know. And as always, thanks.
VQ Altima (the V6 model) shouldn't have any of the motor issues coco had with hers, this is the same motor they put in the G and the Z and the Murano (and just about everything else they make).
I have been driving my Turbo for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love that engine. I can cruise calmly, getting excellent gas mileage. But when I feel like it, I can drop it into 3rd and get pushed back into the seat.

Yes, 236hp isn't a lot by today's standards, but the way the power is delivered is very exciting. Professional racing drivers may not like it, because it is not linear, but I think it's jolly exciting on the road.
Welcome to the club :)

VQ Altima (the V6 model) shouldn't have any of the motor issues coco had with hers, this is the same motor they put in the G and the Z and the Murano (and just about everything else they make).

That's what I thought - and I figured coco's problems were due to the 2.5 engine.

I can't wait until I get my money and go buy a new car in October - if nothing else so I can stop bugging you guys for advice.

It sucks that I found a 2004 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE with the 5 speed stick for sale. Why do cars like that turn up when I don't have the money for them?

That's what I thought - and I figured coco's problems were due to the 2.5 engine.

I can't wait until I get my money and go buy a new car in October - if nothing else so I can stop bugging you guys for advice.

It sucks that I found a 2004 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE with the 5 speed stick for sale. Why do cars like that turn up when I don't have the money for them?
Cuz life sux, I had that happen with a turbo 350z that dealer didn't seem to realize it was a turbo and a white GORGEOUS SW20 MR2 turbo with some bolt ons and I couldn't afford either at the time.

That's exactly how I want a turbo car's power delivery to be, it has to deliver a kick in the kidneys when you want it to.

Apparently there are no Astra front right doors in all of Sweden or Germany. The latter being slightly odd I think, there are a few million cars out there, surely they could keep at least one door in stock in R?sselsheim... Are you germans on holiday?

Apparently there are no Astra front right doors in all of Sweden or Germany. The latter being slightly odd I think, there are a few million cars out there, surely they could keep at least one door in stock in R?sselsheim... Are you germans on holiday?

Check your inbox. :D