Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Moral of the story, Corvette drivers can only drive in a perfectly straight line, not a slighlty curved one.

Fixed that for you.

I've developed a strange fascination and want for a first gen Honda Prelude, the 79-82 model. Overall it's a boxy, strange styled car, but the little things attract me. Like the tach which is superimposed over the speedometer, and the rear window which despite being rather upright and sedan-like, still gets its own wiper.

Also, is there such thing as an unmolested, unmodified CRX for sale? Even the most mundane looking ones out there have a dollar store cold air intake and shift kit.

My friend was looking for a CRX a month or so ago. After going through countless of garbage with hugely varying prices, he finally found one with 1.6 VTEC (B16A) with original wheels and everything. Only the wheel was changed, but rest of the interior was perfect. Even more surprisingly there was only two small spots of rust, which is not common around here. Sadly he had to put it to winter storage pretty soon, because winter had come.

I'm really waiting for summer to hear again the B16 rev past 8000rpm :)

Why does the video not have attack turkeys. I was waiting for big wild turkeys to come out and attack the cars like they do to the mailtruck sometimes. Turkeys do not like the mail truck.
Is this a common occurrence on the East coast then? :p Wild turkeys attacking motor vehicles?!

Oh yeah, the turkeys come out of the shadows and decide to cross with no regard for the rules of right of way. sometimes they take a liking to parked cars too.

Is this a common occurrence on the East coast then? :p Wild turkeys attacking motor vehicles?!
Not just the cars.
rizer_turkey%20trot10_met.jpg

Go see how many results google gives you for "Boston wild turkeys" (and yes, in the city even not just woody area like where I am) it is nuts.
Also they happen to be a protective species so you cannot shoot them <_<

No more Maybach from 2013 :cry:

http://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/maybach102.html

The next S-class generation will be expanded to partially take its place.

It was a great idea and maybe technically really well executed, but about 200 cars per year just isn't going to make it work. Wikipedia has statistics from 2008 and says Rolls-Royce made 1200 Phantoms back then. Maybach might be just as good car, but it's pretty clear that Daimler made a critical mistake when they decided to make the car to look so dull. BMW on the other hand understood really well what customers want and made a Temple of Acropolis on wheels.

I'd guess the Maybach is going to be the quickest depreciating car in the next ten years, but will see.

Oh yeah, the turkeys come out of the shadows and decide to cross with no regard for the rules of right of way. sometimes they take a liking to parked cars too.
Not just the cars.
Go see how many results google gives you for "Boston wild turkeys" (and yes, in the city even not just woody area like where I am) it is nuts.
Also they happen to be a protective species so you cannot shoot them <_<
I like living in the UK where the majority of violent animals was driven to extinction long ago during the Victorian SHOOT ALL THE THINGS phase. :lol:

The worst I have to worry about is scraping bits of pheasant off the car... Or the emergency ambulance team removing a deer from my face.

I like living in the UK where the majority of violent animals was driven to extinction long ago during the Victorian SHOOT ALL THE THINGS phase. :lol:

The worst I have to worry about is scraping bits of pheasant off the car... Or the emergency ambulance team removing a deer from my face.
Well that is why they are protected now. I believe they were the original thanksgiving turkey. :lol:
Like this?

:mrgreen:
:lol: something like that.

My mom took the Caravan to the mechanic today because neither the wipers nor the washer motor were working. They had to replace the fuse box and it they charged $600 including labour. Did she get ripped off, or is that the going rate for replacing a whole fuse box?

My mom took the Caravan to the mechanic today because neither the wipers nor the washer motor were working. They had to replace the fuse box and it they charged $600 including labour. Did she get ripped off, or is that the going rate for replacing a whole fuse box?
I generally look at cars which have no more than 2 fuses but that seems excessive to me...

I don't care what the haters say:

JLo body double woman is friggin hot! :|

The car's not bad looking either. And yes, I just saw the ad on TV for the first time along with 2 other ad's for the 500 that I've seen for months. So no, it's not like they aren't advertising the thing.

Last edited:
this one is better. (questionably SFW)

I wonder if they'll actually get away with showing that here on TV.

Sadly I doubt they will...

Protip: There is no reason to replace a fuse box unless it's been on fire or severely tampered with. Now, in the past ten or fifteen years, car manufacturers have figured out that if you take all the relays and put them inside a sealed box and bury that deep in the dashboard, you can charge exorbitant fees if any one relay fails. It's possible this is what was actually replaced - the most expensive one I've heard of is $300 and the rest would be labor to dig it all the way into the dash.

That's right - a failed relay - in the past a 2-minute/$3 DIY fix could conceivably cost $600 in a modern car.

Unless the socket the fuse or relay plugs into somehow melted so bad it became a fire hazard, I don't see why a the whole fuse panel should be replaced.