Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

My mom took the Caravan to the mechanic today because neither the wipers nor the washer motor were working. They had to replace the fuse box and it they charged $600 including labour. Did she get ripped off, or is that the going rate for replacing a whole fuse box?

Some more info: First, the windshield washer pump stopped working, then the wipers only moved a few inches up before they came down again, then the wipers stopped working altogether. The mechanic said that eventually all of the electrics would've started to fail.

Some more info: First, the windshield washer pump stopped working, then the wipers only moved a few inches up before they came down again, then the wipers stopped working altogether. The mechanic said that eventually all of the electrics would've started to fail.

Sounds like the fusebox was actually starting to melt.

In other news, going to go look at this sub-$1500 9th-gen F250 with the 7.3L PowerStroke diesel tomorrow. Complete with the vomitium "we got it from a Tempo" interior.

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

No worse than some earlier projects, and it does run/drive and pass inspection, plus it's recently had the transmission rebuilt.

If I get it, the interior won't be red for long...

Last edited:
It almost made me cancel my Golf R order for an Abarth. Seriously. But then I remembered that I'm American, so I can't fit in a 500.

I like the Abarth, but no way I'd take one over a Golf R. The VW will be a lot more exclusive and probably hold it's value much better. I think, anyway.

Today I've been automotively molested by a gypsy woman.

No, really. I was about to get in my car, I already had the door open, when the woman approached me begging some coins. She had arranged her... purse... sack... heapof woolly crap... to simulate a fake small child, then started asking. I refused her the money and she insisted, I refused again and sat in the car. She held the door open, forcing it against my pull, and continued asking. At that point I was clearly quite annoyed, so I looked her straight in the eyes and repeated a gentle but very decisive "no". My father, who had just sat in the passenger seat, said something about the police, and at that point she suddenly let go of the door and made as if she was walking away. I followed her as she crossed the street and seemingly went away. Then I started to back up from the parking spot, very slowly as I couldn't see the approaching cars, then I moved even slower, then I finally waited for some car to pass until a guy in a van stopped to let me out (he wanted to get in the parking spot). So, I was finally getting out of the spot (reversing for the least amount of time as possible, as I usually do), and then I saw the gypsy woman, with her former alleged small baby now transformed back to the actual purse it had always been, walking past my car passing from behind.

She had got back, for some reason, I think faking a hit from my car, and then changed her mind, probably because I was so slow and careful and the guy in the van was now watching the entire scene as the perfect witness.

I was very lucky, and now I'm trying to rationalize and fight back some instinctual racism.

In other news, going to go look at this sub-$1500 9th-gen F250 with the 7.3L PowerStroke diesel tomorrow. Complete with the vomitium "we got it from a Tempo" interior.
Now THAT is a truck. Looks like ass, hangs out with construction equipment, mismatched parts...

I think I've only seen one truck-ier truck. It was an gas F250 body/chassis whose owner decided he wanted a diesel F-350 dually instead - so he cobbled together engines, transmissions, axles, fender flares and suspension from at least 4 different generations of dually F-truck. The axles didn't match. The fender flares didn't even match side to side (and were just welded to the side of the F-250 longbed). It was AWESOME.

Last edited:
I have three friends who all drive/drove maroon V70:s (two '99:s and a 2001) and have now been either having issues with them or getting rid of them. One managed to sell his '99 for peanuts and got himself a 2007 VW Polo with a 1.4 engine (terrible choice); the other sold his 2001 for whatever he could get from it and has now upgraded to a 2001 BMW E39 525i manual (excellent choice). The BMW comes from a real BMW guy, who apparently has three E32:s in his stall, 730i/735i/750i. The E39 is described as pretty much flawless.

Meanwhile, the third guy keeps shoveling money into his shed of a V70. There's no helping some people. :p

Volvo quality fell like a rock starting with the 850. I don't know why their design quality deteriorated so badly from the earlier RWD cars.

Tensioner on my mom's Subaru broke, borked the timing by 30 degrees, then bent all the valves. Probably need new or remachined heads, valves replaced, and new timing belt and tensioner. Also, she needs to drive it to work for basically forever. Fun times!

Bend ALL THE VALVES! Is it still under warranty?

About Volvos, I really wouldn't mind a 850 or a S70. They do feel nice and solid, and I like the rounded block styling better than the swoopier later V70s.

Fairly out of warranty...78,000 miles.

In other news, I could drop an STi motor and a manual swap in there. :think:

Last edited:
I thought subarus was supposed to be reliable damnit. Mom's had had more recalls in the past year than mu car has in 8.

Bend ALL THE VALVES! Is it still under warranty?

About Volvos, I really wouldn't mind a 850 or a S70. They do feel nice and solid, and I like the rounded block styling better than the swoopier later V70s.

I owned an 850T and I wasn't too impressed. The turbo was fun, but the interior was starting to fall apart (yeah for plastic screws) and it had a number of electrical and mechanical issues.

Fairly out of warranty...78,000 miles.

In other news, I could drop an STi motor and a manual swap in there. :think:

How much is the car worth? She could buy a Ja^9g. :p

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

No worse than some earlier projects, and it does run/drive and pass inspection, plus it's recently had the transmission rebuilt.

If I get it, the interior won't be red for long...

Do they still have the "Ugliest Truck in Texas" contest?
If so, that truck's a winner.

I've driven through Texas, that truck isn't even in the running.

On a random note:

I'm finally trying to sort out the wiring for the rear fog lights I want to install on the XTerra. I hate electrical work and I can't figure out where to get the power for the lights. I could go right off the harness, but the harness is under the hood and the lights go at the back - so it's a long way to run the wiring. I want something that won't draw on the battery when I turn off the ignition.

Also, I need to get over to the auto shop today and get some bulbs for the light housings.

Volvo quality fell like a rock starting with the 850. I don't know why their design quality deteriorated so badly from the earlier RWD cars.

Have you looked recently at the interior of a 240 or a 740? They are horrendous! How can you say that design quality deteriorated with the 850? My S70's interior feels better than those of some brand new cars, and the equipment and options is still considered 'luxurious' by today's standards. (and ironically, the S70 interior feels/looks nicer than the interior of the P2 S60/V70's, except for the R's)

Yes, I'm biased...a lot. And I do think that apart from the lack of RWD, the 850/S70 is a much better and more reliable car than a E34/E39 (not the M's obviously).

Tensioner on my mom's Subaru broke, borked the timing by 30 degrees, then bent all the valves. Probably need new or remachined heads, valves replaced, and new timing belt and tensioner. Also, she needs to drive it to work for basically forever. Fun times!

If you don't mind doing the work, an engine swap from a junkyard might be a cheaper option.

Last edited:
Have you looked recently at the interior of a 240 or a 740? They are horrendous! How can you say that design quality deteriorated with the 850? My S70's interior feels better than those of some brand new cars, and the equipment and options is still considered 'luxurious' by today's standards.

Yes, I'm biased...a lot. And I do think that apart from the lack of RWD, the 850/S70 is a much better and more reliable car than a E34/E39 (not the M's obviously).

By quality I mean the overall design, not the prettiness of the interior. The older Volvos weren't luxury cars, they were basic and bullet proof. When they tried luxury things doing go too well. The constant squeaks and the loose trim in the back of my 855T was annoying. Not as annoying as the transmission eating itself or the electrics going out "just because" though.