Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Has someone been drinking again? :D

So to my surprise 'sport' is entirely justified. Good bit of trivia. :)

Heh, no. I forgot to edit out what I original wrote.

I use my heated mirrors to remove ice, I've never had fog on any mirror in any vehicle I've had, but ice is a fairly regular occurrence up here.

I usually use mine to remove mist/ice when setting off, depending on temperature. All it takes is humid weather around zero degrees.

I use my heated mirrors to remove ice, I've never had fog on any mirror in any vehicle I've had, but ice is a fairly regular occurrence up here.

Yep, same here. Heated mirrors keep the ice off and I get to avoid scraping the mirrors and potentially damaging the adjuster mechanism. I wish mine had the auto-dimming side mirrors the '96+ ZJ got, I only have the auto-dim rearview mirror.

Bring pockets back! Front and back. Pockets for your maps!

I sometimes prefer maps to GPS. When the whole point of the drive is to go somewhere unknown, GPS is really useful. But if you're doing a roadtrip it's so nice to plan ahead and choose the most promising roads. In this maps are really useful.

When I did last roadtrip in spring 2010 me and a friend of mine used a GPS simply to put waypoints to ~100km ahead so the driver doesn't have to rely on co-driver while the co-driver was planning the next step with traditional map. Worked really well, we found great roads and the best thing is, I can still remember every single road and point them out on the map :)

I sometimes prefer maps to GPS. When the whole point of the drive is to go somewhere unknown, GPS is really useful. But if you're doing a roadtrip it's so nice to plan ahead and choose the most promising roads. In this maps are really useful.

When I did last roadtrip in spring 2010 me and a friend of mine used a GPS simply to put waypoints to ~100km ahead so the driver doesn't have to rely on co-driver while the co-driver was planning the next step with traditional map. Worked really well, we found great roads and the best thing is, I can still remember every single road and point them out on the map :)
That's why you can plan routes on your GPS :p (even easier with smartphones)

You still wouldn't need a paper map since you can have either offline or online maps on just about anything this side of a toaster.

Last edited:
Sod GPS, I have a big AA routemap shoved down the side of the passenger seat, was one of my first purchases after I bought the car!

Really got to find a way to stop my toolbox flying around the boot when I go around corners too, its constant crashing is getting on my nerves...

Sod GPS, I have a big AA routemap shoved down the side of the passenger seat, was one of my first purchases after I bought the car!

Really got to find a way to stop my toolbox flying around the boot when I go around corners too, its constant crashing is getting on my nerves...
Get a cargo net, I would assume that Yaris has anchor points for it.

I've got some spare humidity if you want :rolleyes:
I personally dislike the lack of humidity. That is one reason I would like to move back to Western Washington. The climate is more like what you are used to.

No Humidity plus altitude means I get to drink a ton of water all the time.

I personally dislike the lack of humidity. That is one reason I would like to move back to Western Washington. The climate is more like what you are used to.

No Humidity plus altitude means I get to drink a ton of water all the time.

Oppose to having a ton of water fall on you all the time. :p